My Baking Hobby...need help on cookies
Apr 6, 2006 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

granodemostasa

Headphoneus Supremus
so every week i cook a batch of cookies and i improve on the recipe and the implementation every week; but i've ran into a problem; every time i cook them the bottom of the cookie is always a bit more cooked, browner and crispier, than the rest of the cookie. I want to to be universally cooked the same. any ideas on how to do this?
(i've actually spent more money on this baking hobby than on audio this year).

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 33
I have an insulated pan. It's double layered with a pocket of air. The result is that you have less burning on the bottom of things because the pan takes longer to heat up. The downside is that it was near impossible for me to cook things right since it took longer to cook because of this. I've given up and just gone to using a regular cookie sheet.

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
so every week i cook a batch of cookies and i improve on the recipe and the implementation every week; but i've ran into a problem; every time i cook them the bottom of the cookie is always a bit more cooked, browner and crispier, than the rest of the cookie. I want to to be universally cooked the same. any ideas on how to do this?

A couple of things to try. Assuming your oven heats from the bottom, move the cooking rack up. Also, try a lighter colored cooking sheet.

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #4 of 33
I've already moved it as high as it will go.
also: i have two cookie sheets: one is metalic and the other is non stick, matt. I usually use aluminum foil/spray as the base for the cookies.

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 33
I like pretty soft cookies myself, where you put the tray will usually not change things that much to my experiance, however, what works for me is simply lowering the cooking temperature some and leaving them in longer. That is the generale rule for cooking things uniformly, higher temperature will give you crispyness...

So lower that temp some baby!!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #7 of 33
those cookies are like 1-2 dollars each just in ingredience (i got the recipts to prove it). you better offer more time than that!
tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #8 of 33
Use two cookie sheets: stack the two, but only use the top-most one to actually cook on.

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #10 of 33
actually i don't know exactly what they cost, but they make up about 60 percent of my grocery bills, and half my overall food bills. i started doing normal nestle cookies, my mom baked some over winter break and i treid to immitate them. after two weeks i had them beat... and then the upgrades started.... now i'm actually trying to downgrade the expense of the ingredience. i'll try the double pan thing... but that will slow down the process.

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #11 of 33
Instead of lining your sheets with foil use parchment paper. Foil will redirect the heat back up to the bottom of your cookies. Are you using butter, margarine or shortening?

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

actually i don't know exactly what they cost, but they make up about 60 percent of my grocery bills, and half my overall food bills. i started doing normal nestle cookies, my mom baked some over winter break and i treid to immitate them. after two weeks i had them beat... and then the upgrades started.... now i'm actually trying to downgrade the expense of the ingredience. i'll try the double pan thing... but that will slow down the process.

I can see a business starting here.
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

seriously, get an air pan

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Linda513
Instead of lining your sheets with foil use parchment paper. Foil will redirect the heat back up to the bottom of your cookies. Are you using butter, margarine or shortening?

I've been using baking parchment for years, and it's the greatest thing since Teflon. Baked goods have a tendency to get a little less brown on the bottom when using parchment. And even better, no cleanup
icon10.gif

Also, parchment is fantastic for reheating pizza. Helps keep the crust crispy on the bottom.

Apr 6, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0
I've been using baking parchment for years, and it's the greatest thing since Teflon. Baked goods have a tendency to get a little less brown on the bottom when using parchment. And even better, no cleanup
icon10.gif

Also, parchment is fantastic for reheating pizza. Helps keep the crust crispy on the bottom.

currently i'm using butter for the cookies, margerine for the bottom of the sheet.
will look into parchment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back