My ATH-CK10 broke! Questions about warranty service and I could use suggestions for a new pair!
Jan 9, 2011 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

resiroth

Head-Fier
I haven't contacted audio technica yet but from what I understand they stopped making CK10s. I bought them last year, but I'm not sure if they were an authorized dealer (I don't think anyone is really since they're imported from Japan I believe). Out of nowhere the left channel goes completely silent so I'm thinking it isn't a clogged problem, and more of a loose connection. I could try my hand at repairing it, but I've never soldered before and I think I'd just bungle the job. 

Assuming I can return it to audio technica and they "give me a replacement of equal value" does anyone know what that would be? I don't think they make anything that is comparable to the CK10 now...If anyone's dealt with audio technica's warranty service, how long is the turn around? Are they very strict about authorized dealers only? 

If I do have to buy new buds (which I don't really want to do since I love my ck10s) I'm looking at UE TF10 and the SM3. Both unfortunately come with a meager 1 year warranty, a concern considering the plastic construction of both of these earphones. I really want my next pair of earphones to have replaceable cables if possible, but for some reason that isn't in style. I have small ear canals, I use the smallest or 2nd smallest sony hybrid tips and the ck10 are small, so the fit of the TF10 is a concern. 

My musical tastes are broad, but I'd say I prefer mids and highs at the cost of bass if I have to choose, the CK10 has been able to provide enough bass for me. I'm going to be wearing these while moving around so an amp is out of the question ( and they'll be driven by a computer/smartphone). 

The SM3 would have to blow me away to warrant 350, I'd prefer to spend 150-250 if possible. 

Short version, any response is better than no response:
CK10 broke, not sure if they'll be replaced
Wants:
Fit for small ear canal
Replaceable cables
Mids
Highs
150-250 dollars
Comparable SQ to CK10
Less important:
Bass

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 21
I think Fischer Audio DBA-02 may just be what you are looking for.

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 21
Sorry about your Ck10 problem. t is hard to believe Ck10 failed to you; after all this are made to last longer then one year..

If it has been over a year since you got them, then warranty is out and AT will not replace for a new one. Else you should be able to get it replaced.
Hence you should claim for warranty support directly to the shop you ordered them from; depending where you got them from, you might be able to get it serviced if warranty is still up. If you still have not resolved your issue, I advice to contact Dimitry from Musicaacoustics
He is authorized dealer of many Japanese brands like Ortofons, Final Audio Design, Radius.
Many members including myself have purchased their earphones through his shop. (www.musicaacoustics.com). Dimitry does offer warranty support in case something similar happens with your new pair.
If looking for a new model, Ortofon e-Q5 is in your price range and is has received some positive feedback here on the forum. 
 Contact the seller directly since last year there was a promotional on e-Q5 (249US). Perhaps it sill up.

Good luck with your CK10..

Jan 9, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 21
Thanks for the replies guys.
Fortunately audio technica does list the CK10 as having a two year warranty (part of the reason why I went with them).
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/site/9b1da7946d7de4bf/index.html#hp

I found the page for e-Q5  easily enough, but couldn't find info on the DBA02 price-wise. I'm assuming that the e-Q5 doesn't have a detachable cable?

I'm not rough with my iems, very light scratches on the ck10, I don't wind them around the player to reduce cable wear etc. but it seems like the insertion point is the problem. I'll look into both of these, but what are your thoughts on the TF10? I can buy them from amazon which is a plus and they have detachable cables which is a big help. A 100 dollar pair of buds went bad before these due to the cable and if possible I'd like to never deal with this issue again. 

I'd be using these outside so microphonics is important too. Really was pleased with the CK10 in that respect.

EDIT: Found the DB A02 for 150, a great price.
http://www.gd-audiobase.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=8&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2&vmcchk=1&Itemid=2
I'm a bit worried that it would be a step down from the CK10 though. If anyone has heard some of these and the CK10 and could let me know their rankings that would be appreciated (I'm imagining e-Q5>CK10>DB-A02)

Jan 9, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 21
I'm quite surprised you broke these since almost everyone sings praises of it's excellent build quality. Was there any inadvertent strain put on the wires or the reliefs like a strong tug or a pull or did the cable get stuck somewhere at any point?

EDIT: Sorry missed my suggestion. :)
I haven't heard the CK10 but seeing your requirement I think the q-Jays should do really well for you - dual armatures, very small, great detail, mids, highs, quality bass and a bargain price at the moment (MSRP used to be about $220)...but no detachable cables. I'm guessing they should be pretty close to the sound of CK10.

Jan 9, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #7 of 21
Have you found out if it is the jack or the drivers? If it's the jack (usually first thing to go) you can have it reterminated and problem solved.

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
Have you found out if it is the jack or the drivers? If it's the jack (usually first thing to go) you can have it reterminated and problem solved.

How easy is it to pop the shell off and attempt to reterminate it? I might give that a go if only to test it. Otherwise I'm glad there are a few alternatives with comparable quality around 150-160 if the drivers are indeed broke.
If the drivers are fine I may get it remolded/reshelled with detachable cords to prevent this from happening again...but I'm not 100% sure. I really enjoy the stock fit already so if I could cheaply fix them that would be fine. I've emailed audio technica so I should have a response by tuesday, hopefully monday. 
*crosses fingers*

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #10 of 21
I'm talking about the plug. You don't need to open the housing to change the plug. I don't think recabling any iem since the drivers are small and a limited space considering the size of the CK10 will be easy unless you know what you are doing.

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
http://www.gd-audiobase.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=8&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2&vmcchk=1&Itemid=2
I'm a bit worried that it would be a step down from the CK10 though. If anyone has heard some of these and the CK10 and could let me know their rankings that would be appreciated (I'm imagining e-Q5>CK10>DB-A02)

I liked the DBA-02 more than the CK10 myself.  Others feel differently.  Btw, if you are doing surgery you might consider balancing the CK10 if you like them that much.

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #12 of 21
An estimate about remolding came back at 185, with 45 for detachable cords. This was for Alien Ears though so there is another I've contacted which should be cheaper. If audio technica doesn't honor the warranty I might as well attempt surgery. What would balancing the CK10 involve?
The DBA-02 look like my top choice if I want to emulate CK10 sound.

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
I'm quite surprised you broke these since almost everyone sings praises of it's excellent build quality.  

Surely you don't believe that plastic can be indestructible and that the IEM with the best built quality of all time wouldn't be destroyed if you don't treat them with the care they deserve? 

In any case, my experiences with Audio Technica's customer service has always been very good, and they always provide out of warranty repair services at very reasonable prices, so I wouldn't be worried if I were you.

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys.
Fortunately audio technica does list the CK10 as having a two year warranty (part of the reason why I went with them).
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/site/9b1da7946d7de4bf/index.html#hp

I found the page for e-Q5  easily enough, but couldn't find info on the DBA02 price-wise. I'm assuming that the e-Q5 doesn't have a detachable cable?

I'm not rough with my iems, very light scratches on the ck10, I don't wind them around the player to reduce cable wear etc. but it seems like the insertion point is the problem. I'll look into both of these, but what are your thoughts on the TF10? I can buy them from amazon which is a plus and they have detachable cables which is a big help. A 100 dollar pair of buds went bad before these due to the cable and if possible I'd like to never deal with this issue again. 

I'd be using these outside so microphonics is important too. Really was pleased with the CK10 in that respect.

Isn't  Audiobase out of stock for DBA-02 for now? Website states "Pre-order now"

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #15 of 21
The build quality on the CK10 is indeed phenomenal but headphone cords will eventually come disconnected if you use them a lot I suppose. It should be noted I've used my full-sized headphones quite a bit for over 3 years now without issue because they have a removable cord.I did treat my ck10 with care, but nonstop use every day probably wears more than someone that uses them every week I guess. Repairing or replacing the CK10 (or remolding depending on prices) is very appealing now that it appears the DBA-02 are out of stock. Shame, they seemed like an ideal alternative. I hope audio technica pulls through! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back