My Amp is an explosive..really?
Dec 15, 2008 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
hey guys.

i ll be travelling to india as part of my vacations...i am little worried after the mumbai attacks..that will they allow me to carry my ipod with my D2 boa in the flite?

i ll be going to delhi..which is the capital..and that means tighter security..

also i dont know about singapore..will they allow it in Singapore airlines?

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 23
Bad idea. We've heard loads of horror stories around here about headphone amps being confiscated by ***holes at airport security.

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 23
Couple of things, the security in delhi is not likely to be tighter than that of mumbai. Still, it would be a bad idea to take the amp along in your carry on luggage. Just put in your checked in bag and you will be fine.

Dec 15, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 23
Honestly I wouldn't worry. I have travelled with more than that many times. Try travelling with tubes for some real fun!

The key is that you have it in the same bag with all of you other electronics. It will go through the xray and that will be the end. If not explain what it is and ask to demonstrate its use.

To be on the safe side take a hex key to open the unit. Make sure to have a reason to have the key. IE to open for security and/or change battery.

Be kind, courteous and if necessary ask for a supervisor. If they still want to take it ask if instead you can exit the line and go mail it to yourself. Your airline can help with this. Or if they are really up tight just say no thanks and walk away with it and then mail the amp. Sure when you get back without it you will be checked REALLY well. Better than losing the amp.

Chances are that you won't have any issue whatsoever.

Trust me that amp in with the rest of your electronics will most likely be mistaken for a PDA or Cell phone when viewed by an X-Ray operator.

Dec 15, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couple of things, the security in delhi is not likely to be tighter than that of mumbai. Still, it would be a bad idea to take the amp along in your carry on luggage. Just put in your checked in bag and you will be fine.

Funny that you mention tight security in Mumbai. The second day after the attack was over, a reporter and his cameraman went into the Mumbai train station (one of the place that got attacked) passing metal detector gates that weren't even operating (plus guards at the gates who didn't bother to ask them anything). The reporter was actually firming in the station and commenting how loose the security was while several police petrol waked by them without anyone asking any question or wanting to see any identification. Some security, right?

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #8 of 23
I don't know what it's like in that part of the world, but "security" in the US is run by high school dropouts who are afraid of their own shadows. My rule of thumb is that if I couldn't explain it in 15 seconds to a dumb child, it stays at home. Oh, and they recently busted a theft ring at LAX. Something like $30 million stolen and I doubt they got all of them.

Between theft and morons, I don't take anything valuable. And I drive every chance I get. Too bad; there was nothing I loved more than air travel when I was a kid.

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 23
Whenever I fly with my headphone amp, they invariably check my bag for explosives (which seems like a reasonable precaution to me), but I've never been given any trouble over it. Of course, that's only my experience for security at Canadian airports, and once in Mexico.

Dec 15, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #10 of 23
Okay...so i ll just put it inside my main luggage with electric razer and other stuff.

i dont trust stupid security guards ..who are so dumb ..they wont even understand whats an amp...even if say its a laptop soundcard then also it "looks" very dangerous.

all i ll carry is my HD205 and maybe a new SF5 Pro that i ll be hopefully getting

Dec 15, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #11 of 23
Print this out and tape it to your amp:
hello%20kitty%20color.GIF

Surely that doesn't look dangerous.
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #13 of 23
Don't take anything which has been damped with Blue Tack or the like. Some moron will think it is plastic explosive.

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #14 of 23
well here's what helps you... the professional looking construction and the nice words like AUDIO

if your amp was a DIY amp in an altoids tin... you might have a harder time explaining it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back