My adventures in Head-fi.
Jun 5, 2012 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cylanes

100+ Head-Fier
I think it was 5-7 years ago I bought my first real headphone, it was the Sennheiser HD515.
That pair of phones satisfied my thirst for more.............but then I found this forum. 
Head-fi with it`s slogan, I`m sorry for your wallet.

After that I bought a HD650 and I was in need for an amp. So I bought the Creek OBH-SE21.
I was never impressed by that setup, a bit boring and too laidback. 

So I thought maybe a Grado SR225 would rock my world. It did for a few months..........
In between I also bought an used AKG K240M...to hard to drive.
At some point I stopped listening to headphones at home, just using my speaker setup.

For my daily commute I first use the standard earbuds, started with the Sennheiser PX100`s.
They felt like Mini-grado`s engaging and rocking every song I played.
Also tried the AKG K81DJ,the Panasonic HTX-7 and some shure IEMS. Couldn`t get used to put IEMS
in my ears. 
Finally sold the HD650 and the Grado, hunted down a cheap Sennheiser HD-25 and they`re 
still my daily companions on my commute.

I even use them at home if my girlfriend doesn`t want to disturb by my musical taste. 
The HD-25 are not that comfortable for long listening sessions, I wanted some over-ear headphones.
So lately I`m been looking for the best bang for buck over-ear headphones.

And then the Pioneer SE-A1000 crossed my path, found them for €69 online.
Never heard of them, so I tried google and just found two reviews about them. 

http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CHgQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.digitaltrends.com%2Fheadphone-reviews%2Fpioneer-se-a1000-review%2F&ei=j2_OT5WYGYT_8gPayLXQDA&usg=AFQjCNGcxNeV9dayAgF5nPigX-8bY2_zbA&sig2=dQa_LuZRrlAZb0AXB6Cnlg

http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CHEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.headphoneinfo.com%2Fcontent%2FPioneer-SE-A1000-Headphones-Review-312.htm&ei=j2_OT5WYGYT_8gPayLXQDA&usg=AFQjCNGULYgTQorT35RzyRlKk98Qy8MDug&sig2=fZizSAUNVsXZugEsJPs8OA

Found absolutely nothing useful about them on head-fi.  
On Amazon I could find some user reviews and they all agreed on the soundquality of them.
So I took the splunge. 

Now I`m listening to them for the first time, no burn-in and no headamp.
Comfortable and I enjoy every bit of them.

ehm Just my 2 cents.
Keep on listening!

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 8
Well , the problem with head-fi, is that you hesitate to try headphone that doesn't get lot of hype.
Also most headphones are compared to well known models such like hd600, k701 etc ... so it's as if you have to buy one of these reference models, or at least hear them, to know what everyone is talking about.

I see you didn't like the typical laidback sennheiser sound on the hd650, it's a bit surprising that not much more people are complaining.

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
And then the Pioneer SE-A1000 crossed my path, found them for €69 online.

Now I`m listening to them for the first time, no burn-in and no headamp.
Comfortable and I enjoy every bit of them.

Yeah, I'm totally with you on this one.  Good detail, nice clarity, easy-to-drive, super-comfy, durable cable, fine fit/finish, and only $60 on Amazon.  Seriously, what's not to like?

Actually, I do wish that it had a little more bass extension - and I did have to mod mine to fit better (slim head) - but otherwise, a very solid pair of cans.

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Yeah, I'm totally with you on this one.  Good detail, nice clarity, easy-to-drive, super-comfy, durable cable, fine fit/finish, and only $60 on Amazon.  Seriously, what's not to like?

Hmm. You like these cans then? Because I'm a fan of Pioneer's offerings, at least their older cans. When I saw these, I wanted to try them, but I was very skeptical. But I may have to give them a closer look, especially at that price.

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Hmm. You like these cans then? Because I'm a fan of Pioneer's offerings, at least their older cans. When I saw these, I wanted to try them, but I was very skeptical. But I may have to give them a closer look, especially at that price.

I do.  I didn't at first for two reasons:  (a) it didn't fit me right as it was too large; and (b) I was in a Brostep (basshead) phase.  But I've since modded the headstrap and been listening to a lot of Bossa Nova so I've gotten to know its charm.  If you do get 'em, just know that you are not going to leave the house with them.  They're not Jecklin Float big, but they've still got a lot of junk in the trunk.  I'd post a pic of me wearing them but I'm desperately trying to keep what little cool I have left.

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

I do.  I didn't at first for two reasons:  (a) it didn't fit me right as it was too large; and (b) I was in a Brostep (basshead) phase.  But I've since modded the headstrap and been listening to a lot of Bossa Nova so I've gotten to know its charm.  If you do get 'em, just know that you are not going to leave the house with them.  They're not Jecklin Float big, but they've still got a lot of junk in the trunk.  I'd post a pic of me wearing them but I'm desperately trying to keep what little cool I have left.

I'd bet they aren't as big as the SE-50. Lol. I usually don't leave the house with any Hi-Fi cans anyway, really. Thanks for the overview, I just might have to check them out

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
I'd bet they aren't as big as the SE-50. Lol. I usually don't leave the house with any Hi-Fi cans anyway, really. Thanks for the overview, I just might have to check them out

LOL, okay not that big.  But just to put it in perspective, the A1000's ear pads are about a quarter-inch greater in diameter than the Q701's ear pads.  You can do the math, but its noticeably more surface area.  Put it this way, if I ever met someone with ears that fit the A1000 perfectly, I'd have to spit out every big ear joke I could think and and make a few more up just to fit the magnitude of that event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back