My 8th Headphone: Audio Technica ATH-ES7 (w. mediocre pics)
Nov 6, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #46 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by zChan
saint.panda, the ES7 is difficult to be worn around the neck. I have no trouble having HD25-1 around the neck for extended period of time, but I can only stand it for a very short period with the ES7. The cups hits the throat.
They are also not foldable like the Ultrasones.

I'm going to get my A900s back next weekend. Sorry its taking a long time.

Overlounge, A picture of the cable and the carrying bag.

Cheers, zChan! I was just wondering how thick the cord is. The carrying bag sure look soft... mmm

Overlunge

Nov 6, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #47 of 123
Well, like an idiot I managed to snap the cable on my ES7. Hopefully we can get it fixed up relatively soon.

It's weird going back to my portable can of choice - the E4c. Having gotten used to the full, euphonic/warm, thicker-bassy sound of the ES7, the E4c sound a bit metallic and definitely treble-emphasized again. But I'm sure I'll get used to the sound pretty quickly.

Still, right before I broke my ES7, I was doing some direct comparisons with the W10VTG. Well, what can I say, the ES7 doesn't match the sophistication of the W10VTG. Particularly, the ES7 has a more upfront presentation and its soundstaging/headstaging is not anywhere nearly as 3d as the W10VTG. The soundstage on the ES7 does reach a reasonably far outside the cups, it's just there isn't the same sense of space that the W10VTG and other woodies, esp the L3000 do so darn well.

Texturally/sonically, it's clear that they are different designs and materials, but there is an audio-technica house sound there. Honestly, I think it's coloured - if you're looking for the most realistic depiction of natural instruments look elsewhere. But that doesn't mean it doesn't sound good.

What the ES7 does particularly well, even compared to the W10VTG, is that it's punchy and has a nice edge to the sound. We're not talking Grado here, but it's pretty darned good for rock and pop, and takes a nice step in that direction.

Anyway, I think this is a fantastic phone and worth every penny. Comfort has gotten a lot better as I stretched it out. It doesn't isolate as well as the HD25-1, but it does isolate better than the PX200 and ES5 at least. It is good on the road due to its nice thick sound and bass.

Hmm more on the sound and bass - midrange isn't as characteristically emphasized/smooth as the woodies, but it's pretty decent. At least it's not recessed as I found it to be on the HD25-1 and my Sony cans. Bass is actually pretty good. Yes it is flabby and isn't nearly as tight as you would hope. But it's not one-note in nature and can be fun. There is definitely a mid-bass emphasis though. So those who are looking for accurate/controlled bass need to look elsewhere. If listening to a big boomy subwoofer is a guilty pleasure of yours, these do quite good.

The tone has that audio-technica artificialness to plucked strings. I really don't know how to describe it, but as with other AT cans it's slightly more hollow or has a slightly odd ring to it that it shouldn't. Still, if you're okay with the colouration, it's quite bearable.

I've been listening to it generally out of my iPod or computer. With some setups the bass is really almost too overwhelming, but it works with the iPod quite well.

Nice warm sound. Good fit. Makes nice earmuffs. I like. Now just gotta get mine working again. Sigh.

Best regards,

-Jason

Nov 6, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #48 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by zChan
saint.panda, the ES7 is difficult to be worn around the neck. I have no trouble having HD25-1 around the neck for extended period of time, but I can only stand it for a very short period with the ES7. The cups hits the throat.
They are also not foldable like the Ultrasones.

That's exactly what I wanted to know and it makes the ES7 a no-no for my intended applications. Many thanks zChan!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #49 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Well, like an idiot I managed to snap the cable on my ES7. Hopefully we can get it fixed up relatively soon.

It's weird going back to my portable can of choice - the E4c. Having gotten used to the full, euphonic/warm, thicker-bassy sound of the ES7, the E4c sound a bit metallic and definitely treble-emphasized again. But I'm sure I'll get used to the sound pretty quickly.

Still, right before I broke my ES7, I was doing some direct comparisons with the W10VTG. Well, what can I say, the ES7 doesn't match the sophistication of the W10VTG. Particularly, the ES7 has a more upfront presentation and its soundstaging/headstaging is not anywhere nearly as 3d as the W10VTG. The soundstage on the ES7 does reach a reasonably far outside the cups, it's just there isn't the same sense of space that the W10VTG and other woodies, esp the L3000 do so darn well.

Texturally/sonically, it's clear that they are different designs and materials, but there is an audio-technica house sound there. Honestly, I think it's coloured - if you're looking for the most realistic depiction of natural instruments look elsewhere. But that doesn't mean it doesn't sound good.

What the ES7 does particularly well, even compared to the W10VTG, is that it's punchy and has a nice edge to the sound. We're not talking Grado here, but it's pretty darned good for rock and pop, and takes a nice step in that direction.

Anyway, I think this is a fantastic phone and worth every penny. Comfort has gotten a lot better as I stretched it out. It doesn't isolate as well as the HD25-1, but it does isolate better than the PX200 and ES5 at least. It is good on the road due to its nice thick sound and bass.

Hmm more on the sound and bass - midrange isn't as characteristically emphasized/smooth as the woodies, but it's pretty decent. At least it's not recessed as I found it to be on the HD25-1 and my Sony cans. Bass is actually pretty good. Yes it is flabby and isn't nearly as tight as you would hope. But it's not one-note in nature and can be fun. There is definitely a mid-bass emphasis though. So those who are looking for accurate/controlled bass need to look elsewhere. If listening to a big boomy subwoofer is a guilty pleasure of yours, these do quite good.

The tone has that audio-technica artificialness to plucked strings. I really don't know how to describe it, but as with other AT cans it's slightly more hollow or has a slightly odd ring to it that it shouldn't. Still, if you're okay with the colouration, it's quite bearable.

I've been listening to it generally out of my iPod or computer. With some setups the bass is really almost too overwhelming, but it works with the iPod quite well.

Nice warm sound. Good fit. Makes nice earmuffs. I like. Now just gotta get mine working again. Sigh.

Best regards,

-Jason

the sound signature of the ES7 seems to be similar with that of the ES5 and was probably meant to be in the ES line, especially with respect to the flabby nature of its bass and larger than expected soundstage. i'm really looking forward to trying these since i've just sold my ES5.
frown.gif

Nov 12, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #59 of 123
I'd love to know how these compare to MDR-V6s...I like the Sonys plenty (good isolation, decent sound for the price), but I'm not a big guy, so they look a little large on me. These ATs look like they'd be a little less awkward in public...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back