My 32GB Flash IPod Mini
Mar 24, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #166 of 510
Are the cases for the mini first gen and second gen the same?
I ruined my first gen mini, the clickwheel cable broke. I'm getting a second gen mini soon but in pink, can I put the guts of a second gen unit into a first gen case?

EDIT: both cases/housing are interchangeable.

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #167 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlindTiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the cases for the mini first gen and second gen the same?
I ruined my first gen mini, the clickwheel cable broke. I'm getting a second gen mini soon but in pink, can I put the guts of a second gen unit into a first gen case?

EDIT: both cases/housing are interchangeable.

I haven't taken apart a 1st gen, but I think the cases are the same. As long as you replace all the "guts", you should be OK. You won't be able to use a 2nd gen clickwheel assembly in a 1st gen. At least that's my understanding.

The only potential problem is your 2nd gen Mini will have pink on the clickwheel :p

You could take it apart and swap out the plastics. I have one of mine torn apart right now and will be dyeing my click wheel and end caps black tonight
biggrin.gif

Now that the Mini is functionally sound again, I will be working on cosmetic improvements. I'm still waiting for my tools (soldering station et al) to get back to me.

Mar 27, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #168 of 510
One last bump before ordering to clarify things. If I just want to use the ipod mini with itunes then can I just stick in any compact flash card (seen an oem samsung 16 gig on ebay for £35.00 in the uk)If I want to use rockbox then I'll have to get the a-data correct? Also whats the compatibility of rockbox like with compact flash cards nowadays anyway?

Cheers...

Its plucking up the courage to order the right card now I've got the mini!

Mar 28, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #169 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidcotton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One last bump before ordering to clarify things. If I just want to use the ipod mini with itunes then can I just stick in any compact flash card (seen an oem samsung 16 gig on ebay for £35.00 in the uk)If I want to use rockbox then I'll have to get the a-data correct? Also whats the compatibility of rockbox like with compact flash cards nowadays anyway?

Cheers...

Its plucking up the courage to order the right card now I've got the mini!

I am using a Transcend 32GB card. I had no issues with the Apple OS. I got Rockbox working fine too, but I had to recompile the bootloader. I can share my bootloader if you have trouble with Rockbox.
I don't think I've seen anyone post about the Samsung card, but as long as it follows the CF standard, you will likely be fine with it.

Mar 29, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #171 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by chimpanZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much better is your battery life? I have rockbox and it lasts very short, maybe 6hrs? I bought one of those 750mAh batteries off ipodjuice, anyone wanna reccomend another one?

My 16GB Flash iPod Mini with 850mAh battery runs 26 hours straight, but that's if you just leave it running without screwing with it much, practical listening (at least leave a few songs in a row before changing, and hopefully an entire album before switching) will go about 20 hours.

Mar 29, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #174 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by chimpanZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much better is your battery life? I have rockbox and it lasts very short, maybe 6hrs? I bought one of those 750mAh batteries off ipodjuice, anyone wanna reccomend another one?

I just did a battery test of my 800mah battery in a 32GB (Transcend 133x) mini and got nearly 21 hours. This wasn't 100% "start and don't touch" testing. I was listening for a couple of the hours
wink.gif
Dunno if that affects it much. I turned off the backlight completely so I doubt it impacted it much.

Mar 30, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #177 of 510
Interesting writeup, Thanks.

Mar 31, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #178 of 510
So things are finally coming together for me. Got the ipod mini a couple of weeks ago, now I have just ordered a 16 gig peak compact flash card for £45 delivered.

One thing, Mains adaptor. I noticed on the original guide that it mentions needing the mini plugged into a charger instead of a usb port before it would boot after the first compact flash install. Did anyone else find this or were you ok without one?

Cheers.

Mar 31, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #179 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidcotton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So things are finally coming together for me. Got the ipod mini a couple of weeks ago, now I have just ordered a 16 gig peak compact flash card for £45 delivered.

One thing, Mains adaptor. I noticed on the original guide that it mentions needing the mini plugged into a charger instead of a usb port before it would boot after the first compact flash install. Did anyone else find this or were you ok without one?

Cheers.

I had a battery issue with mine at first. I ordered more batteries and was having trouble with 2 different Minis. I finally did figure out they weren't getting enough current from the USB port , so I got an adapter you plug in to AC and has 2 USB slots on it. I love this thing so much I'm wondering how I lived without one of these! Sticking the Minis on the wall current fixed them right up. I think my issue though was actually a bad ipod cable, so you're probably fine. Have you been using the Mini? Does it work fine? Holds a good charge? If the battery is working, just charge it up real good before you put in the CF card.

If you weren't planning to already, I recommend a battery change while you have the Mini open. They are cheap on eBay, just make sure to look at shipping and the item cost. I've ordered 3 now and they all work well. It's easy enough to do later, but if you order the battery today, you might have it along with the CF card
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #180 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a battery issue with mine at first. I ordered more batteries and was having trouble with 2 different Minis. I finally did figure out they weren't getting enough current from the USB port , so I got an adapter you plug in to AC and has 2 USB slots on it. I love this thing so much I'm wondering how I lived without one of these! Sticking the Minis on the wall current fixed them right up. I think my issue though was actually a bad ipod cable, so you're probably fine. Have you been using the Mini? Does it work fine? Holds a good charge? If the battery is working, just charge it up real good before you put in the CF card.

If you weren't planning to already, I recommend a battery change while you have the Mini open. They are cheap on eBay, just make sure to look at shipping and the item cost. I've ordered 3 now and they all work well. It's easy enough to do later, but if you order the battery today, you might have it along with the CF card
wink.gif

Cheers for the reply. Luckily the guy I bought the ipod from had already upgraded the battery and supplied the tools as well, so thats one step already done. Looking forward to doing this now
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back