my 2 cents on the E4c (upgraded from E3c)
Dec 9, 2006 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

noname

100+ Head-Fier
hey all,

I haven't been on this forum for a while since I've been content with my setup (Gilmore lite, Grado SR225, HD600, Shure E3c) I recently lost my E3c's and so I was on the hunt for a new IEM.

I grew to be pretty satisfied with the E3c.. I was let down the first time I heard them though; they didn't give me the same gradosfaction that my SR225 did. Basically the E3c had lack luster highs and lows. I was content, it was my first IEM and I loved the ability to passively block out the ambient noise.

So sometime in the past 2 months I've misplaced my E3c. You would think I'd be more depressed about having just lost $200 headphones but they were semi-broken. I had worn them to the gym a couple times and after being completely drenched in sweat, one of the drivers temporarily died on me. After a day or two of drying the sound started to slowly come back but was never fully restored. This lead to the center stage being slightly to the right––this was annoying at first but not worth the money to fix.

After a year or so hiatus from the site I returned last week to read up on E3c vs E4c vs ER4 vs "..." threads. I didn't find anything conclusive (I didn't look too hard..) so i decided to buy the e4c based on gut.

I have to say I'm really impressed with my purchase. I wasn't let down when I first put them on and that is a good thing considering I spent $175 US
smily_headphones1.gif
The bass and high's are MUCH better that the e3c. I'm using the triple thing.. you know the one you can cut to make shorter..?? (I'm not going to bother looking up the name). I'm so happy with this that I'm even considering selling off the rest of my audio-equipment.

this was most likely mentioned before but I just had to get my support out there for the E4C.

Happy listening,

Justin

Dec 9, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, with triple-driver IEMs out, it's been driving the prices of other IEMs down, and it makes the E4 quite a bargain.

There are people who prefer the more balanced sound of the E4 to the more bass heavy sound of the E500. I can understand why and sometimes, I wish the E500 were a tad more balanced. That said, the E500 are overall an improvement upon the E4 in various aspects.

Dec 11, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 22
I knew I shouldnt have purchased the E3c, but they were only $100 when I got them, so I couldnt pass it up. Even with the pa2v2, the bass is still lacking by a lot, but the vocals and detail is great. Having read your review should motivate me to upgrade to e4c.

Dec 11, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by poonpower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I knew I shouldnt have purchased the E3c, but they were only $100 when I got them, so I couldnt pass it up. Even with the pa2v2, the bass is still lacking by a lot, but the vocals and detail is great. Having read your review should motivate me to upgrade to e4c.

I have moved up from that path myself. You won't regret it!
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That said, the E500 are overall an improvement upon the E4 in various aspects.

Why do you hate my wallet?
rolleyes.gif

Dec 12, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by noname /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey all,

So sometime in the past 2 months I've misplaced my E3c. You would think I'd be more depressed about having just lost $200 headphones but they were semi-broken. I had worn them to the gym a couple times and after being completely drenched in sweat, one of the drivers temporarily died on me. After a day or two of drying the sound started to slowly come back but was never fully restored. This lead to the center stage being slightly to the right––this was annoying at first but not worth the money to fix.

Justin

Not trying to torture you or anything, but my E3's broke too. I had acquired them for $50 two years and 9 months earlier as a replacement of my E1's. So I sent my E3's in to be fixed or replaced, I fully expected a bill since the warranty was expired. So about a week later they sent me another set of E3's and a note that said "No Charge."

By the way, you could also have sent in your broken your E3's and replaced them with E4's for a nominal fee.

Dec 12, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not trying to torture you or anything, but my E3's broke too. I had acquired them for $50 two years and 9 months earlier as a replacement of my E1's. So I sent my E3's in to be fixed or replaced, I fully expected a bill since the warranty was expired. So about a week later they sent me another set of E3's and a note that said "No Charge."

By the way, you could also have sent in your broken your E3's and replaced them with E4's for a nominal fee.

yea, i was thinking about doing this but almost no one responded to my thread. Do you have to tell shure that you would rather upgrade then get a new earphone? I'm thinking of upgrading my e2cs (the wire is cutting out) for e4cs but i would rather not pay full price for them. should i just email shure and ask them how this works?

Dec 14, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yeah.. i don't think you should have mentioned that.
blink.gif

to be fair I returned the headphones to shure in the past (i rolled over them with my chair and they shattered) I expected to be charged but it was a free replacement. SHURE HAS THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE ever... heh they are a great bunch of people.

I'm going to go look for my e3c's again now...

Feb 13, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #12 of 22
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. But I've just experienced a very similar experience as the original threadstarter. Basically, I lost my E3c on a certain very drunken night. And after attempting to revert back to a cheap pair of Sony studio monitors (friend told me to bite it). i just can't adapt. the bass was all over the place, and it was too loud, and washed out the mids and the highs. i nailed this within 10 minutes of wearing them. I tried it for a week, and finally bit the real bullet. contacted the guy who got me my E3c, and two days later, E4c was knocking at my door.

This thing is a huge improvement over the E3c. I know people here complaiend about the E3c being a little lacking in Bass. And at times, i do notice that, while not terrible, it can definitely do with more bass. The E4c is just perfect. Everything's so well balanced, and rich sounding. It tastes better than my E3. One happy camper. Although I'll have to buy my wallet something nice for valentine's though.
eggosmile.gif

I blame you Head-Fi.
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea, i was thinking about doing this but almost no one responded to my thread. Do you have to tell shure that you would rather upgrade then get a new earphone? I'm thinking of upgrading my e2cs (the wire is cutting out) for e4cs but i would rather not pay full price for them. should i just email shure and ask them how this works?

has anyone tried this with e2c's? or is the discount hardly anything and actually worse than buying from any other store new at $190?

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #14 of 22
My route:
e3 -> e4 -> e500, all with UM56.

Sometimes I still miss the e4 sound, but the fit of the e500 is very nice, and it kinda eliminates the bass boost on the xin which I usually had activated with the e3/e4. Its been like 10 weeks and still getting used to the e500s.
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back