Musiland Monitor 02 US
May 26, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #646 of 1,340

Quote:
Thanks! But, how can I set precision mode to switch SR on its own? It seems like I'm forced to choose a SR to run at, even if I choose precision mode...

Just set it to precision through the Musiland control panel and it will do it on it's own.

May 28, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #648 of 1,340
Wondering what you guys think of the musiland 02 in combination with a good amp.  I am planning on upgrading my amp to something like the Meier Concerto or Burson HA160 and Im just not sure if the musiland 02 will be the weak link in the chain or if it will perform its duties admirably?  I would love to keep it if it will fit in with a good amp but maybe I will need to upgrade to a better dac.  What amps are you guys using with it?  Do you think the musiland becomes the weak link as you upgrade surrounding components?

May 29, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #649 of 1,340
I don't know how it compares to better DACs as this has been the best one i've ever owned and wont be upgrading anytime soon as money is short but.. There are several people here using the Monitor 02 with mid-fi systems. I'm using it with my Audiotailor Jade, i think chinesekiwi is using it with a M3 and there are others around. I feel its quite good but compared to anything else..? I have no idea sorry :)

Jun 4, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #651 of 1,340
Musiland 02 is a DAC good enough for general listening. However, with a better amp, it is easy to find DACs that can better match your better amp. 

On the other hand, I find that Musilnd 01 USD does an excellent job to read digital info from my computer. I am very happy to use it with my heavily modified DACs. I feel that Musilnd 02 can also perform comparably well for outputting digital info. One way to take advantage of this property is to use the Musiland 02 with your amp for now, then use the Musiland 02 with a better DAC and your amp.

I am using a Musiland 02 with a Little Dot MKV in my office and I am satisfied with this configuration. But at home, I am using a Musiland 01 USD with a choice of a DAC and am amp for more involving listening.

Jun 4, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #653 of 1,340

Hmm, this is interesting.  Could you explain what advantage is gained by having the musiland as an extra link in the audio chain as a digital transport between say a computer and a high end DAC?

Quote:
Musiland 02 is a DAC good enough for general listening. However, with a better amp, it is easy to find DACs that can better match your better amp. 

On the other hand, I find that Musilnd 01 USD does an excellent job to read digital info from my computer. I am very happy to use it with my heavily modified DACs. I feel that Musilnd 02 can also perform comparably well for outputting digital info. One way to take advantage of this property is to use the Musiland 02 with your amp for now, then use the Musiland 02 with a better DAC and your amp.

I am using a Musiland 02 with a Little Dot MKV in my office and I am satisfied with this configuration. But at home, I am using a Musiland 01 USD with a choice of a DAC and am amp for more involving listening.

Jun 5, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #654 of 1,340

Quote:
Hmm, this is interesting.  Could you explain what advantage is gained by having the musiland as an extra link in the audio chain as a digital transport between say a computer and a high end DAC?

My understanding of it is pretty basic, but I believe it has to do with the nature of USB. USB outputs the data not in a constant stream, but in quick little bursts at varying intervals of time. It is up to the dac (not the chip itself, but another part of the device) to take those erratic bursts of digital audio and reassemble it as cleanly as it can. If it does a better job of it, the music should sound cleaner and more precise, if it's not as good at it there will be some overlap (is that right? i never really understood what physically happens) and the audio signal will get more sloppy. So if the musiland 02 is good at that function you can have it take the USB input and rather than output an analog signal, it can output a constant digital signal for another, presumably better, DAC device to process.

someone please correct any mistakes I made, since I only just started seriously looking into DACs maybe a week ago.

Jun 6, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #657 of 1,340

Quote:

As a digital transport, the Musiland 01 USD is convenient due to its USB interface. We can easily connect it to our choice of computers. More importantly, it performs good enough. I compared it with a couple of PCI sound cards and I found Musiland 01 USD performs better especially when the precision mode is turned on. 

As I stated before, Musiland 02 is a good enough DAC. One of its limitations is the lower frequency spectrum. When paired with better amps, you may notice that the lower frequency tunes are reproduced not as tightly as better DACs.

Jun 8, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #658 of 1,340
If I just need a USB-SPDIF converter, should I buy 01USD or 02US? Does the external power supply improve the digital output?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back