Musiland Monitor 02 US
Jan 25, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #391 of 1,340
Can someone tell if me if the 02 can handle 5.1 output? Right now I use headphones and a 2.1 setup, but I'm considering expanding to 5.1 in the future. If I grab a receiver, would I be able to passthrough 5.1 over the Musiland?

Jan 25, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #392 of 1,340
Quote:

Originally Posted by verteqz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone tell if me if the 02 can handle 5.1 output? Right now I use headphones and a 2.1 setup, but I'm considering expanding to 5.1 in the future. If I grab a receiver, would I be able to passthrough 5.1 over the Musiland?

Yes.

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #395 of 1,340
Ok. I just got the musiland 02 US but I have one problem. I get noise when playing music/sound from my desktop system although it's fine from my laptop. When not playing sound it's dead silent.

The noise is a intermittent flickering and I can trigger simply by moving the volume slider. I'm using 64bit Win7 whereas on my laptop I'm using 32bit Win7. I've tried 1.0.8.0 and 1.0.7.0 both have this issue. I doubt it's a driver problem since 1.0.8.0 works on my laptop. If it were a ground loop causing it should I hear a constant background noise? that's not the case.

Other than the noise issue with my desktop I was surprised at how easy the driver install was. I was expecting a bit of a challenge to get it working.

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #396 of 1,340
Hey guys, try this out with the Musiland 02. It could be placebo but I found it helped the Musiland's SQ.

Don't use the native ASIO driver that the Musiland uses but rather use ASIO4ALL.
Download the latest beta (ASIO4ALL 2.10.1 [improves latency with USB devices over the 2.9 version]) and use these settings:

Latency Compensation: 48 Samples on both the 'In' and 'Out'
ASIO Buffer: Depends on your CPU but lower it to the point in which you hear no 'clicks' or 'pops' during playback. The lower the better. Mine's at 224 Samples.

I found this gave it more detail.

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #397 of 1,340
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmanc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok. I just got the musiland 02 US but I have one problem. I get noise when playing music/sound from my desktop system although it's fine from my laptop. When not playing sound it's dead silent.

The noise is a intermittent flickering and I can trigger simply by moving the volume slider. I'm using 64bit Win7 whereas on my laptop I'm using 32bit Win7. I've tried 1.0.8.0 and 1.0.7.0 both have this issue. I doubt it's a driver problem since 1.0.8.0 works on my laptop. If it were a ground loop causing it should I hear a constant background noise? that's not the case.

Other than the noise issue with my desktop I was surprised at how easy the driver install was. I was expecting a bit of a challenge to get it working.

Use the 1.0.3.2 driver.

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #398 of 1,340
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use the 1.0.3.2 driver.

With the 1.0.8.0 drivers I setup foobar to play through asio and the background noise is gone now when playing music through foobar. However, it still there when playing windows sounds and games. I might give 1.0.3.2 a go later... time for some listening now.

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #402 of 1,340
The precision mode in 1.0.8.2 brings significant sound quality improvement - broader soundstage and noticeably more details. According to Musiland's website, previous drivers use two separate DCMs within the APU to generate clocks for 44.1kHz and 48kHz, while the new precision mode combines the two to generate one clock for a given sample rate, and this gives lower gitter and better sounds. However, it also means changing from 44.1kHz to 48 kHz takes longer (2-3 seconds) since the FPGA needs to be reprogramme on the fly.

BTW I'm using Windows 7 64bit, no problem with the driver. You need to uninstall the old driver, restart, and install the new driver.

Jan 29, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #403 of 1,340
For those with Windows 7 x64, are you using an intel chipset motherboard? I'm on an AMD system and when I use the latest musiland drivers on 7 x64, I get crackling but on my intel system I get no crackling under x64. On the AMD system, I even tried the musiland on a usb pci card and I tried every usb port on the motherboard and the pci card but the problem persists. The only driver that works fine for my AMD system under 7 x64 is 1.0.3.2. Note that if I use 7 32-bit on my AMD system, the newest drivers will work perfectly so I suspect something conflicting within 7 64-bit when using AMD and the musiland 64-bit drivers.

Jan 29, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #404 of 1,340
kite7, that's the exact same conclusion I came too. My laptop uses an intel chipset and it doesn't crackle while my AMD system (with SB710) under 64bit win7 crackles with all drivers except 1.0.5.2 and 1.0.3.2. The crackling I'm referring too occurs under WDM but not under ASIO (when ASIO works that is, however the early drivers seem to mess up ASIO when playing through foobar at least). I've tried uninstalling the motherboard drivers and leaving only the musiland USB driver but the crackling persist.

On another note driver 1.0.8.2 in precision mode played through ASIO gives the best sound so far but it crackles when playing through WDM for me.

If someone can write Chinese maybe they should give Musiland an email regarding this.

I got another question: which headphone jack should I be using for 32ohm Grados? According to their website it should be headphone jack 1 but that's for high impedance cans apparently.

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #405 of 1,340
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmanc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kite7, that's the exact same conclusion I came too. My laptop uses an intel chipset and it doesn't crackle while my AMD system (with SB710) under 64bit win7 crackles with all drivers except 1.0.5.2 and 1.0.3.2. The crackling I'm referring too occurs under WDM but not under ASIO (when ASIO works that is, however the early drivers seem to mess up ASIO when playing through foobar at least). I've tried uninstalling the motherboard drivers and leaving only the musiland USB driver but the crackling persist.

On another note driver 1.0.8.2 in precision mode played through ASIO gives the best sound so far but it crackles when playing through WDM for me.

If someone can write Chinese maybe they should give Musiland an email regarding this.

I got another question: which headphone jack should I be using for 32ohm Grados? According to their website it should be headphone jack 1 but that's for high impedance cans apparently.

I e-mailed them in english, hopefully something will happen regarding AMD and musiland 64-bit drivers.I e-mailed them at sale@musiland.com.cn

I personally have been using jack 1 with grados, no problems with it and in fact it seems to make the grados sound a tad more transparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back