Musiland Monitor 01 USD 24/192 USB to SPDIF
Jan 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #887 of 905
I recieved a new Musiland 01 USD on Saturday, installed the latest drivers from Musiland (MlCyMon_2.2.0.0_build20111228) and have been using it off an on all weekend playing everything from 16/44.1 to 24/192 and everything in between.

I use foobar and note the device shows up under Output several ways, the two most interesting of which are "ASIO : Musiland Monitor Series(USB)" which I expected, and "WASAPI : SPDIF Interface (MUSILAND Monitor 01 USD)" which I did not.

I find when I choose ASIO the Musiland control panel shows ASIO lit under status and the DSPs all seem active.

What I have found really interesting and completely unexpected is when I choose WASAPI the control panel shows PASS lit under status and none of the DSPs are active.

My Citypulse DA7.2x II DAC is detecting and properly locking onto all sampling rate rates when I use WASAPI.  When I choose ASIO I lose the lock when I switch between songs with different sampling rates; this does not occur with WASAPI.

I guess ASIO is still a little buggy but WASAPI is working flawlessly.  Seems like a better choice to me...  Am I missing something?  Or should I just be happy I have something working so darned well and sounding better than I could have hoped?  :)

Martin

EDIT: I found the ASIO lock issue is fixed in the latest foobar ASIO update (foo_out_asio 2.1).

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #888 of 905
Anyone using this on a Mac? If so, does it require drivers? I'm looking for a usb to spdif or bnc or aes converter that supports 24/192 without drivers on Mac. Something like the Stello U3 but preferably cheaper :).

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #889 of 905
The drivers for the Mac ar in beta state check here

http://hifiduino.wordpress.com/category/usb-audio/

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #890 of 905
I'd prefer a converter that doesn't require separate drivers on Mac. They exist: Stello U3, but I'm looking for a cheaper option.

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #891 of 905
I could use some help though. I downloaded the latest driver for my Musiland US 01 and the left channel is muted. The asio shows both channels working, but the digital out level meter on the left bottom (musiland control panel) shows only the right channel. When I listen XBMC internet radio with status pass, everything is O.K. I didn't have any problem with the old driver. Any idea what could be my problem is? Thanks for any replay.

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #892 of 905
Also some questions, since English is not my native language. First step to uninstall the old driver, but with the card plugged in or pulled out? Next step is install the driver first from the link listed on their website and plug the card after, or first plug the card wait for the installation, and download the software? Sorry for my misunderstanding, but I'm not a computer wizard anyway. Thanks:)

Feb 26, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #894 of 905
hi, just started to use the 01USD with Win7 64bit to matrix mini-i... i just noticed that the windows default is to send 32bit/44.1khz to the 01usd, i have to click 24bit/192khz everytime i restart my PC... is there a way to make 24/192 as default? it will not affect foobar because i'm using ASIO for bit-perfect transfer but i like 24/192 for my movies... unless you guys say 32/44.1 is better, then i will take your word for it
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #895 of 905

Quote:
hi, just started to use the 01USD with Win7 64bit to matrix mini-i... i just noticed that the windows default is to send 32bit/44.1khz to the 01usd, i have to click 24bit/192khz everytime i restart my PC... is there a way to make 24/192 as default? it will not affect foobar because i'm using ASIO for bit-perfect transfer but i like 24/192 for my movies... unless you guys say 32/44.1 is better, then i will take your word for it
biggrin.gif

How do you compare the sound of the mini-i's usb to using a 01USD?

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #896 of 905
have not tried yet, will do in when i have time then will report back =)

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #897 of 905
For people that have tried it, has anyone noticed a significant diffrence when using the Musiland to run coax or optical to their dac as opposed to just using a USB direct to the dac?

Mar 26, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #898 of 905

Quote:
For people that have tried it, has anyone noticed a significant diffrence when using the Musiland to run coax or optical to their dac as opposed to just using a USB direct to the dac?

Tried it. My desktop DAC is the SuperPro 707. I prefer the Musiland - DAC combination, but it's not a dramatic difference. I guess the jitter reduction in the SuperPro must be pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back