Musiland MD-10
Dec 1, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #16 of 269
Pacific Valve recently started carrying the Musiland ($255 + shipping) as well.

I thought about exchanging my DAC-AH for the Musiland but I haven't been happy with PV's customer service at all (unresponsive without prodding, though still probably reputable and trustworthy). I'm not recommending that you buy from PV, I'm just saying they have the Musiland and might ship it outside the United States. I was under the impression that PV changed the power supply to 110, so they might be able to sell a 220 if you asked. I could well be wrong on this though.

(Superpredator)

Dec 9, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #18 of 269
Looking at pictures in Diyeden/Musiland website, I´ve seen SVDAC05 (similar to MD10?) is using PCM2704 (according to pictures in their website), so it is not doing USB-I2S but USB-SPDIF conversion (to feed CS8416, the SPDIF receiver)

Does anybody know details of USB receiver chip used in MD10?

regards

Dec 13, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #20 of 269
Wow, that's crazy. Looks like iFi Audio here in the states is hanging with $270, which is a steal then I guess.

Dec 19, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #21 of 269
Pacific Valve just emailed me that they have them in stock now for $255 + shipping for us. Just note in the comment when buying that you expect the $255 price. I just ordered one. Hopefully the headphone amp will like my Darth's.

Dec 20, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #23 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by lionel marechal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the physical dimensions ? I could not find anything related to that.
Thank you !
Lionel

Never mind, found them : Dimension (mm) 210×160×55
Lionel

Dec 20, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #24 of 269
$278.50 shipped conus was the final price. not bad. It's a smaller DAC. The new Tech in it should be very interesting.

Dec 20, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #25 of 269
I just sent PV an email asking if they would ship the dac to Sweden and if the price still is $255.
If that was the case I also asked them if they would recommend the MD-10 or the DAC AM, as they cost the same.

Dec 20, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #26 of 269
It's 255+shipping. I would take it over the AM b/c it's newer tech and the headphone amp appears to be of decent quality.

Dec 20, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #27 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's 255+shipping. I would take it over the AM b/c it's newer tech and the headphone amp appears to be of decent quality.

The headphone amp is quite good for what it is but again it's made for low to medium impedance cans, it likely can't really drive something like Senn HD650's very well. With my HF-1 it does surprisingly well. It's a nice "bonus" and a nice one box solution if you have the right cans.

Dec 20, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #28 of 269
Sean,
Did you do a try to feed an amp with the deadphone out ? Meaning using it as a DAC and not a transport ?

I might be interested in using it as DAC/Amp for my rs/2, and when I would want to listen to the HD650, would feed my supermacroIII with the headphone out.

What do you think based on your experience with it ?

Thank you !
Lionel

Dec 20, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #29 of 269
yeah all I have are Darth's so it should be cool. I'll try it against my incoming Hornet M and we'll see.

what's a deadphone out? lol

Dec 20, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #30 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by lionel marechal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sean,
Did you do a try to feed an amp with the deadphone out ? Meaning using it as a DAC and not a transport ?

I might be interested in using it as DAC/Amp for my rs/2, and when I would want to listen to the HD650, would feed my supermacroIII with the headphone out.

What do you think based on your experience with it ?

I'm kind of confused about what you mean when you say transport but I have used the unit as a DAC/headphone amp with Grado's (the Grado's connected to the mini headphone output) and also of course as a normal DAC with it's RCA outputs to my Mapletree tube headphone amp. Most of my impressions I have posted are using it as a DAC with my tube amp but have posted some impressions of the headphone amp.

You could feed your supermacro via the headphone mini output or use an RCA to mini adapter and use it's RCA analog outputs too which may be a little better output as the signal is not then going through the headphone amp. I assume your supermacro has a mini style input, not RCA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back