Musiland MD-10
Dec 28, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #46 of 269
I don't find the MD10 to sound like the Grado sound. It has a bit of a forward midrange I believe due to the CS4398 DAC chip which is known for a more forward and fuller midrange. But the bass to my ears is very full and has nice punch, and spatially I think it does separation well and wouldn't think of it as a negaive thing. Are you planning to use this as an amp/dac combo? See, like I said before, spacemanspliff is using his unit as an amp/DAC combo and while the headphone amp is a nice addition with low impedance cans it does sound a tad more narrow and less separated than the dedicated amps I have. His comments, duly respected and much appreciated obviously, are from using the MD10 as an amp/DAC combo. As a standalone DAC paired with an amp I hear more open and separated space. I would say that my Zhaolu does have a bit more of a separated quality but it's definitely not night and day. The more midrange and bass focused sound of the MD10 is likely some of the reason why it sounds a bit more intimate and not as open as say, an AD1852 based Zhalu which has a more open and brighter treble. Just my 2 cents.

Dec 28, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #47 of 269
Thanks for the reply.

Here's what Pacific Valve says about it:
"Detailed, warm and dynamic are words not
typically associated with digital conversion. But the
DIYEDEN Musiland DAC helps any digitally
recorded medium from a variety of sources (BNC,
USB, Coax and Toslink) sound like vinyl with
dynamics, deep low end and smooth high end
without grain."

I don't know if that matches what I've read about it but it shure sounds good according to the description.

I will be using it with my H5 so if the bass isn't bad then I might try it out.
But I dunno if I can buy it from PV though as I sent them a mail over a week ago and still haven't got any answer. Maybe they're on vacation. Or ignoring me. :/

Dec 29, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #48 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't find the MD10 to sound like the Grado sound. It has a bit of a forward midrange I believe due to the CS4398 DAC chip which is known for a more forward and fuller midrange. But the bass to my ears is very full and has nice punch, and spatially I think it does separation well and wouldn't think of it as a negaive thing. Are you planning to use this as an amp/dac combo? See, like I said before, spacemanspliff is using his unit as an amp/DAC combo and while the headphone amp is a nice addition with low impedance cans it does sound a tad more narrow and less separated than the dedicated amps I have. His comments, duly respected and much appreciated obviously, are from using the MD10 as an amp/DAC combo. As a standalone DAC paired with an amp I hear more open and separated space. I would say that my Zhaolu does have a bit more of a separated quality but it's definitely not night and day. The more midrange and bass focused sound of the MD10 is likely some of the reason why it sounds a bit more intimate and not as open as say, an AD1852 based Zhalu which has a more open and brighter treble. Just my 2 cents.

Yup, that's it. Better in the mids and highs than the Zhalou but not as wide a presentation. I did use my Hornet M but that was while the MD 10 was/is burning in.

PV has been great communicating with me via email and phone. They do take awhile to get back to me but always same day so I don't know maybe your email got lost? I hear that happens!!

At any rate PV has a 30 day guarantee so why not?

It is a well built, good sounding DAC for the $$.

That being said I'm probably going to try the modded 60 b/c I'm just crazy for soundstage lol.

Dec 29, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #49 of 269
I'll try to send them another mail since they wanted contact with international buyers prior to a purchase. I hope they can answer me before January 2 cause I'd like the 10% rebate.

Btw, do you know if I will be able to play dvd-a using this (or any) dac, using usb (or another input)?

Edit: What about asio/ks?

Dec 29, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #50 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alucard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll try to send them another mail since they wanted contact with international buyers prior to a purchase. I hope they can answer me before January 2 cause I'd like the 10% rebate.

Btw, do you know if I will be able to play dvd-a using this (or any) dac, using usb (or another input)?

Edit: What about asio/ks?

no clue about the source ?s ask them.

and the amp should work ok for the cans you have.

Dec 29, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #51 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, that's it. Better in the mids and highs than the Zhalou but not as wide a presentation. I did use my Hornet M but that was while the MD 10 was/is burning in.

PV has been great communicating with me via email and phone. They do take awhile to get back to me but always same day so I don't know maybe your email got lost? I hear that happens!!

At any rate PV has a 30 day guarantee so why not?

It is a well built, good sounding DAC for the $$.

That being said I'm probably going to try the modded 60 b/c I'm just crazy for soundstage lol.

speaking of sound stage,I wonder which is larger,modded great march or md 10 ?

Dec 29, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #52 of 269
Great March probably. The MD 10 isn't expansive but it is musical and detailed.

The Modded DAC Am is supposed to be very good in the Midrange Detail too but for Soundstage the Modded DAC 60 is supposed to be the biggest.

Dec 29, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #53 of 269
Ugh, I'm tempted to pull the trigger one of these fellas from PV, and just after I decided that I wasn't going to get a DAC-AH or a Great March because my Alien DAC is "fine".

Dec 30, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #54 of 269
What bit and sample rates does the USB output support? I have seen that many dacs only handle 16bit/44.1KHz using usb.

Jan 9, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #55 of 269
OK I am officially not interested in the MD10 anymore! =D
I did some reading on the net and there is a MD30 under development!
No specs yet but it seems like it will be more advanced than the MD10.

This is also an interesting read. They talk about the differences between Dyiedens new dacs. (translated by babelfish)
Link

Edit:
If you read the part about the bandpass filters, it suggests that the MD30 will have the most advanced filter of them all, so it will probably be the most expensive one.
I will keep my fingers crossed for dual outputs. =)

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #56 of 269
hope it comes as just a dac without the integrated headphone amp. help keep cost down for those who want only a dac. =]

Jan 10, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #57 of 269
yeah but the integrated amp is ok and it's keeping me alive while I wait for my new amps, tubes, power cords to get here.

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #58 of 269
What did you end up getting. I know you have a DV 332 on loaner, but did you buy extra tubes and a power cord even though you might not end up owning the 332? What power cord did you end up getting?

Jan 11, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #59 of 269
The Musiland showed up yesterday. It's burning in now and I'll have my opinions maybe over the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back