Musiland "Digital Times" 24/192 PCI card (digital output only)
Jun 1, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #31 of 55
if your Musiland was built from another batch of the oscillators, it could be better than mine :)

or worse for that matter
biggrin.gif

and the SQ in analog was terrible on the 02US in "fast" mode, I don't think the only difference was the sample rate accuracy?

and did you try to measure the voltage of the coax output? 0.2V? 0.5V?

can you hear this  speed difference?

I don't know, I will try resampling some songs at 44105 Hz
L3000.gif

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #32 of 55

Quote:

or worse for that matter
biggrin.gif

and the SQ in analog was terrible on the 02US in "fast" mode, I don't think the only difference was the sample rate accuracy?

and did you try to measure the voltage of the coax output? 0.2V? 0.5V?

I don't know, I will try resampling some songs at 44105 Hz
L3000.gif

I answered your query in the blog...

I didn't measure the coax output, but since I modded a mini, I can adjust the voltage at will because I can change the resistor. I think I chose a value that will give me .5-1v levels...

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #33 of 55
Jun 1, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #34 of 55
Hi leeperry, I need to make a correction.

The ppm specification is temperature stability. The frequency accuracy is not really specified.

However one can assume that for a crystal specified at 25.576 MHz, any variation in the last 3 significant digits is permitted. Say 25.576499 MHz still qualifies as a 25.576 MHz part. Thus 500 Hz of variation constitutes 20 ppm.

On top of that you add the frequency variation from the value at measured temperature to the value at operating temperature. Lets say it was measures at 25C and you run your DAC at 45C. That could be another 10-20 ppm for a 100ppm part

And then there is aging: 3 ppm the first year.

The 22.5792 part is better because the maximum variation from spec is 50 Hz which is only 2 ppm

Of course this is just theory. There maybe other contributing factors beyond the crystal/clock

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #35 of 55
hehehe, ok a lot of assumptions need to be made...that's the nice thing about your test, it shows the real world performance of the clocks. Too bad you can't run it on the Hiface
frown.gif

We all know that many companies will tell you whatever bs to sell their products...I've seen some jitter measurements where the Hiface was very close to the top-range Lynx soundcards so M2tech might be right from start to end, but anyway this test wouldn't hurt
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #36 of 55
Quote:
Well, this adapter avoids using a coax cable...so no interferences and no cable attenuation.

Do you think a BNC cable terminated with such adapter will retain its noise-rejection properties?

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #37 of 55
Quote:
do you have a link to that test please? did he also try the BNC output?

www.diyhifi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1889

www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/6/66884.html

Jun 3, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #38 of 55
lol your last link looks scary
biggrin.gif

but was it done using the "high precision" mode? I believe those drivers were released early 2010.

I will also try this adapter: http://www.uauctionsource.com/picture/SKU004912_0.jpg

I dunno how good they could sound...I just know that there's a new S/PDIF transport that doesn't need a coax cable, you plug it directly onto your DAC: http://www.audiophilleo.com/audiophilleo1.aspx

and here Patrick82 goes OMG on those adapters: http://www.exeres.org/audio.htm
 These beat all the reference interconnects in the whole world

anyway, if I don't like the 01USD I'll just get an HiFace and still use that RCA/RCA adapter...can't be bothered w/ useless pricey coax cables
devil_face.gif

Jun 5, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #45 of 55
no worries! the USB cable will be duct-taped to the back of the computer stand and the USD and its elevation thingie will be taped to the DAC...I've learned from the best: http://thereifixedit.com/

I've watched all the pics on that site, and now my brain bubbles w/ DIY kludges
very_evil_smiley.gif

tifi-roofrack.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back