Musiland 02 US Dragon, Fiio E10, or..?
Apr 20, 2012 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jondaeh

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Like many others I'm buying a DAC to drive my headphones, using preferably USB as the source, and looking in the lower price range around $100 and down. Searcing ebay I got lot's of options, and using Google actively to sort out those of reasonably quality. I have tried to look at the datasheets for the components in the DACs, but I found it hard to really make a good judgement. Now I'm on my third day looking, and asking for help!

First of all I currently only have some old Pioneer SE-A40, but I these will probably be changed in the near future, so I want to buy a DAC/amp that can cope with some better ones. Guess these may become more demanding on the amplifier side, so I would like a DAC with a good amp. 

Also I have no need for portability. I choose this forum as the Fiio and the Musiland probably goes under portable.

External power supply or not?
I understand that an external power supply will reduce the noise as the input voltage will be cleaner than from the USB ports. But will it make the amplifier part in the DAC/amp stronger? My experience from hi-fi is that if the powersupply gives a good indication of the quality of the amp, and makes the speakers "give it all". Guess this is true also for head-fi?  

First candidate, Musiland Monitor 02 Dragon
This one is really on the edge of my budget(but the budget keep being pushed:p ). It seems to have good components, but I can't seem to find much reviews of it. Is it "unknown" because of bad quality? The older model without the Dragon-name seems quite popular at least as a DAC, but I have read that the amp-part is a bit weak (no dedicated amp apparently). However the Dragon have an amp and external power source. Any thoughts on it?

Second candidate, Fiio E10
This one apparently is good, found lots of reviews. However only powered from USB, does it have the power, and what about noise?

Third candidate, HA Info NG27 / NG98
This seemed like something I was looking for, looks like an strong amp to me with aluminium front and everything. But I guess looks isn't all. I have read some good reviews of it, but everyone seem to change the OP-amps in it. Anyone tried it without this change?

Fourth candidate, Topping TP30
Well, this is barely a headphone amp, as it got terminals for speakers. But as it is a T-class amp, I would predict it should beat the other "small" candiates if it has a descent DAC-part(it has PCM2704, but this one is a bit old, right?). It also seems to get good reviews, but mostly as a amp for speakers. However I have no intensions on actually using it to for speakers, so if this part only makes it more expensive it's not very interesting.  

A last option is to buy a separate DAC and amp, but this will probably come with extra cost. 

I guess what I'm looking for is for someone to tell me which one gives the most sound for the money. However I understand that none have heard them all, and it all comes down to preferences, so this is a fools hope. But if someone has good/bad experience, have heard/read something or can judge something from it's components I will appriciate any guidance!

Thanks!

Jon, Norway (I'm sorry for the spelling:wink: )

Apr 20, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 7
Dude, get new headphones first. Your old headphones will benefit almost nothing from amp/dac. You don't even have to pick new headphones that need amp/dac. Just pick something that is easy to drive.

Apr 20, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
Dude, get new headphones first. Your old headphones will benefit almost nothing from amp/dac. You don't even have to pick new headphones that need amp/dac. Just pick something that is easy to drive.

Thanks for the advice, I agree. The thing is, the jack output on my computers motherboard is broken. I only have one working channel to the headphones, so then I would have to get a new soundcard anyway.

Apr 20, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 7
Asus Xonar DG: ~30€
+
Sony MDR-XB500 (for heavy bass): ~45€
or
Koss Pro DJ 100 (natural sounding): ~70€
Creative Aurvana Live!: ~60€

Those are amazon.de prices, I'm guessing they should be almost the same in Norway or maybe little bit more expensive.

Read reviews about those headphones and check this link for other possible headphones www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Apr 21, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Asus Xonar DG: ~30€
+
Sony MDR-XB500 (for heavy bass): ~45€
or
Koss Pro DJ 100 (natural sounding): ~70€
Creative Aurvana Live!: ~60€

Those are amazon.de prices, I'm guessing they should be almost the same in Norway or maybe little bit more expensive.

Read reviews about those headphones and check this link for other possible headphones www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Allright, Papander(and google) have convinced me, new soundcard it is. Then I actually can get both a new soundcard and the koss or creative headphones for the same money which I set aside for the DAC:)

Just one thing before I hit the "purchase" button: The Xonar DG's bigger brother Xonar DS has switchable OP-amp, and a different audioprocessor which handles 192kHz. It is priced some higher, but it's cheap anyway. Anyone think it's worth the extra money (DG 35 euro vs. DS 52 euro) when aimed to be used at the headphones Papander listed? DS also got 7.1, but this is of no interest for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back