MUSICIAN PHOENIX DDC
Aug 28, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #17 of 18
The Musician brand has a tendency to punch up. Their Pegasus Dac is pretty much best in class for the price. I would imagine their top of the line DDC Phoenix is best in class as well. I'm actually curious about the Phoenix considering the positive experience I have with the Pegasus.

Dec 28, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #18 of 18
The Musician brand has a tendency to punch up. Their Pegasus Dac is pretty much best in class for the price. I would imagine their top of the line DDC Phoenix is best in class as well. I'm actually curious about the Phoenix considering the positive experience I have with the Pegasus.
I purchased a used Pegasus in May, replacing some Aune gear. *Wicked* impressed. After reading about i2S, and getting intrigued, started looking around for a DDC. I needed at least 3 inputs - most had only 1 or 2. Audio Art Cable had a Phoenix at a slight price reduction, so I purchased from there in October, as there was a return window, if I was not impressed.

I still have the Phoenix. A very worthwhile addition. The already quiet noise floor fell away. There is a sense of ease and effortlessness to the music that I find relaxing and engaging. I now attribute a lot of these benefits to the galvanic isolation making my mid-fi sources sound better. Then there's all of the buffering, the accurate thermally-controlled crystal clocks and the i2S providing a better data stream for the Pegasus to decode. I really like it.

I do have one nit to pick though: the controls layout is a triumph of form over function.There are six little selector buttons (COAX, USB, etc) way over on the right side, and the corresponding indicator LEDs are arrayed in rows, starting on the left, and don't match the layout of the buttons (buttons have no LEDs). Then the buttons and LEDs are labelled in teeny-tiny letters that are impossible to read in dim light. I finally put pieces of colored tape on each source and a corresponding piece by each button.
Phoenix labels.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back