Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Nov 25, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #691 of 1,482
Well, I’ve a Musician Aquarius on the way from their Aliexpress store. It’s replacing a Abbas Audio DAC 2.2SE which is the best Ive I’ve run to date. The only reason I sold the Abbas is that it seemed wasteful to use up tube life when watching TV for kids shoes etc. If it can come within spotting difference of the Abbas I’ll be one happy camper.

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #692 of 1,482
Well, I’ve a Musician Aquarius on the way from their Aliexpress store. It’s replacing a Abbas Audio DAC 2.2SE which is the best Ive I’ve run to date. The only reason I sold the Abbas is that it seemed wasteful to use up tube life when watching TV for kids shoes etc. If it can come within spotting difference of the Abbas I’ll be one happy camper.
I was just notified by Aliexpress that my Aquarius just shipped,.We’ll have to start a new topic on this dac .

Nov 26, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #696 of 1,482
Got a Synergistic Research Purple coming for mine. Made a very nice improvement in the last DAC, and my Pass Aleph Mini power amp…. The difference is not as great as SR claim but it was an overall too too bottom improvement in all the areas they claim. Worthwhile.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #697 of 1,482
I think it also depends on the sensitivity of the headphones. I couldn't detect that change on Arya(headphones with clear sound and large sound stage), Senn. is more sensitive to fine changes in the system.

Nov 26, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #700 of 1,482
A follow up question(s): which is the best site to purchase one from?
I bought mine from Audiophonics, a French online store. I've bought loads of stuff from them over the past couple years like op amps, cables, the Pegasus and Audio GD DI-20. They're good.

About input lag. I've done plenty of gaming with the Pegasus, and I've tried to see if I could notice any kind of variation in input lag on the different inputs. I couldn't notice any lag, so it should hopefully be good enough.

Nov 27, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #703 of 1,482
I live in Bordeaux where Audiophonics is based, before the pandemic I used to just drive 10 minutes and pick things up directly I was great.

They didn’t have the Pegasus in silver and would have to order it… given the difference in price and the fact that they would just order it from Aoshida anyway I cut out the middleman and did it myself.

Not looking forward to having to pay the postman 22.5% in tax and handling…..

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Dec 4, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #705 of 1,482
I'm starting with this forum but I don't know where to go...

I tried to use a RPI4 as a streamer to evaluate the quality.
Well, it's impossible to detect the Pegasus.
The RPI4 works. It detects a portable Ibasso dac on the usb very well.
I used several distributions and I stayed with the latest DietPi and its Diepi-config utility.
I even thought that RPI4 was undervolted. No.
If I unplug the Pegasus, the USB leds go out.
If I plug it into my Allo USBridge (Rpi3+ Gentoo).

Code:
GentooPlayerRpi ~ # aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Audio [USB HiRes Audio], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Everything works fine... I'm looking for but don't understand.

On RPI4... nada !! :sob:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back