Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Nov 5, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #677 of 1,482
Just an observation. Between D90MQA and Pegasus, I chose D90. Between D90MQA and Ares2, I chose Ares2. If Pegasus sounds more like Pontus than Ares does, then I won't like Pontus?

Nov 5, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #679 of 1,482
Just an observation. Between D90MQA and Pegasus, I chose D90. Between D90MQA and Ares2, I chose Ares2. If Pegasus sounds more like Pontus than Ares does, then I won't like Pontus?
It is good when you follow your preferences, it is also good that we have different affinities.
What we have in common is that we explore the possibilities for a better hearing experience, at least I hope that is a priority for most.
It's nice that you shared that with us.
enjoy the music

Nov 6, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #681 of 1,482
not saying they are similar in sound quality but in sound personality

Nov 7, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #682 of 1,482
not saying they are similar in sound quality but in sound personality
It was not with reproach
What I understood from those who used both, that they are similar in sound character.
what differences you hear, it helps to better understand the sound character of Ares 2
Thanks
P.S. Your short summary gives a different impression

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #683 of 1,482
This is how I am using Ares currently. Matrix H -> Mapleshade USB -> Matrix XSPDIF -> Duelund RCA -> Ares2 -> Mapleshade RCA -> MZ2 -> Duelund speaker wire -> Altec Carmel.

I'd say this cable combination out of all the ones I have exhibits the most "tone" and "wet" sound. And, Ares responds with more "tone" and "wet" sound. Very non fatiguing but most would probably find it veiled or syrupy.

Pegasus was flat (maybe a tad dark) and polite with a bit of rough edge that made it a bit fatiguing. I think I used mainly ClearDay cables. I used mainly Oyaide USB and Audioquest HDMI when I briefly used Matrix XSPDIF2 with it.

FWIW, this guy's description of Draco pretty much sums up how I'd describe Ares2.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #686 of 1,482
Hi,

After much deliberation, I currently have a Pegasus 'in my basket'.

On the topic of input lag, have people been able to use this dac with video without going it out of sync?

This might be a bit of deal breaker so I'd really appreciate personel experiences with regards to this matter.

Thanks in advance!!

Nov 24, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #687 of 1,482
Hi,

On the topic of input lag, have people been able to use this dac with video without going it out of sync?

This might be a bit of deal breaker so I'd really appreciate personel experiences with regards to this matter.

Thanks in advance!!

I am using the Pegasus with a JMGO ultra short throw beamer's optical connection and never experienced any latency problems.

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #688 of 1,482
Hi,

Thanks in advance!!
None whatsoever. This isn’t the Ares II. This is much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back