Musical Paradise M2-D2 AK4490 Balanced Dac Reviews?
Jan 8, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #706 of 964
Just got and installed the new V-Cap ODAM's in my DAC and here are my initial impressions:
- Bass is way more textured
- Less of a mid-bass hump, deeper sub-bass extension and definition. Tighter.
- Midrange more detailed, especially noticeable with things like reverb/decay
- Treble way more precise and crisp, slightly elevated compared to before but it sounds neutral, not too bright, but can be slightly harsh at times (hoping this will resolve itself with the break-in, as it sounds similar to how the 6H30pi sounded before they broke in)
- Soundstage and imaging as a result is also far better. Width and depth are both improved greatly. I got to admit, the descriptions about this are very accurate. It's a significant change. There is much more space around each instrument. Things are much easier to pinpoint and identify within a song.

I really look forward to seeing how these develop and change over the 200-400 hour break-in period. The description online about them sounding great from the beginning is true, though I can imagine there will be even more improvement/refinement with some time. This is in comparison to the stock Obbligato caps.

Glad you like them, they are also relatively good value and easy to install since not a stupid size :)

Jan 8, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #707 of 964
Glad you like them, they are also relatively good value and easy to install since not a stupid size :)
I agree, the size is just about the same as the stock Obbligato caps. Already within the first day of use they are sounding a little smoother in the treble. I think I'm going to be really happy with these.

Jan 8, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #708 of 964
Hi All

So i have just purchased a MP-D2 mk3 with AK4497 DAC Chips RCA/GE 5R4/5U4 Rectifier tube
4x stock 6N1P tubes
4x Obbligato Gold output coupling capacitors and
Tungsram ECC85 tubes Not used yet
This is all new to me, not had tube equipment before, this DAC is already a good upgrade to my previous dac.
My question is if i want to look at upgrades in the future, where do i start
I know its probably down to personal taste and making it suit my ears but do i change caps and if so to what
do i change rectifier tube, the guy i brought it from mentioned a PSVANE WE274B 1:1
All constructive thoughts welcome
sean

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #709 of 964
Hi All

So i have just purchased a MP-D2 mk3 with AK4497 DAC Chips RCA/GE 5R4/5U4 Rectifier tube
4x stock 6N1P tubes
4x Obbligato Gold output coupling capacitors and
Tungsram ECC85 tubes Not used yet
This is all new to me, not had tube equipment before, this DAC is already a good upgrade to my previous dac.
My question is if i want to look at upgrades in the future, where do i start
I know its probably down to personal taste and making it suit my ears but do i change caps and if so to what
do i change rectifier tube, the guy i brought it from mentioned a PSVANE WE274B 1:1
All constructive thoughts welcome
sean
Hey Sean, welcome to this thread. Yes the MP-D2 is probably one of the best value for money dac in the market as of now.
I regulalry use the Psvane WE274B tube and for a long time it was my go to tube. I recently changed to the Linlai E274B which are also used by a few others in the thread. I personally think that the Linlai E274B are better than the Psvane We274B in almost every respect.
You should be able to find more impressions in this thread.
Cheers

Jan 9, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #710 of 964
All of my tubes arrived yesterday includng 2prs 6N23P silver shields from the Ukraine. I think my tube buying has ended for awhile. I have plenty to roll. Bullet proof packing on the Linlai's.

Will the 274b fit the Mp-d2 without extender or requiring enlarging the hole?
No you don't need extender or adjust the hole. It will fit nicely. For the 6sn7 you have to drill it out to 35mm for example..

Haha the bulletproof thing is quite right 😁👌

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #711 of 964
Well.....I've had the 274b in place for about 12 hours and it continues to improve. It was excellent right out of the box. Presently, it's the best I've ever had in my rig. I've had Brimar 5r4gy, USAF596, Mullard GZ32, various RCA's and some others. I have Mullard GZ34 available but after hearing these, why bother?
I can't imagine how good my system will sound once it get the 300B's in my SET. :relaxed: It's sounding very addictive now and placing any other rectifier in it would cause serious withdrawal symptoms. Holographic. organic texture. Need I go on?
No you don't need extender or adjust the hole. It will fit nicely. For the 6sn7 you have to drill it out to 35mm for example..

Haha the bulletproof thing is quite right 😁👌

Well.....I've had the 274b in place for about 12 hours and it continues to improve. It was excellent right out of the box. Presently, it's the best I've ever had in my rig. I've had Brimar 5r4gy, USAF596, Mullard GZ32, various RCA's and some others. I have Mullard GZ34 available but after hearing these, why bother?
I can't imagine how good my system will sound once it get the 300B's in my SET. :relaxed: It's sounding very addictive now and placing any other rectifier in it would cause serious withdrawal symptoms. Holographic. organic texture. Need I go on?

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #712 of 964
Got around to getting some of those socket savers and loving the new light show 🙃
D390AA85-2D5E-4629-92F4-297715A402B0.jpeg
5EC4BA43-EC1B-4C99-A122-052EB512BCC6.jpeg

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #713 of 964
I just wanted to update everyone in this thread about those socket savers. I had them installed for a couple days listening for changes and at first was unsure if there was any. I eventually just felt like the DAC didn't have the magic it had before so I decided to remove them and instantly I heard the sound I thought I was missing. I'm thinking its possible that the added resistance of the sockets pulls the tubes of the MK1 version further from operating in the linear region? I remember reading that the tubes in the MK1 version of the DAC were not biased as much as they should be, and this was one of those changes that was implemented in the MK3. It's very possible that these sockets would not have any effect on the MK3 version of this DAC. Just something to be aware of. Kinda sad about it, I was loving the glow of the tubes haha

Jan 17, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #714 of 964
Quick update regarding my new MP D2 MK3, i have ordered 4 x V-Cap odams hopefully be here next week, also brought a
rectifier VT244 military RCA 5U4G and quad of 1960's Mullard 12AU7 Blackburn

Attachments

• tube.jpeg
    tube.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 0
Jan 17, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #715 of 964
I just wanted to update everyone in this thread about those socket savers. I had them installed for a couple days listening for changes and at first was unsure if there was any. I eventually just felt like the DAC didn't have the magic it had before so I decided to remove them and instantly I heard the sound I thought I was missing. I'm thinking its possible that the added resistance of the sockets pulls the tubes of the MK1 version further from operating in the linear region? I remember reading that the tubes in the MK1 version of the DAC were not biased as much as they should be, and this was one of those changes that was implemented in the MK3. It's very possible that these sockets would not have any effect on the MK3 version of this DAC. Just something to be aware of. Kinda sad about it, I was loving the glow of the tubes haha
If you are interested I have my old mk3 10th anniversary motherboard still here laying in original box and bulletproof packed. Maybe your interested? I swapped to the mk3 deluxe half a year ago but maybe it's something to think about.. You can always pm me. Cheers

Ps: I don't have any problems with the adapters for my 6sn7.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #716 of 964
Sent you a PM!

It seems that maybe I’m right about that then, who knows. I’d guess that small changes to the biasing of the tubes in the mk3 would be less impactful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back