Musical Paradise M2-D2 AK4490 Balanced Dac Reviews?
Dec 24, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #676 of 965
I've been using ELECTRO-HARMONIX 6H30PI GOLD PIN's rotating from Phillips ECC82. I'm happy with the EH's. They seem very clear and neutral . I always use the high gain setting when using 12au7s since I have a passive pre. My waveguide speakers powered with muscular 10# 1" compression drivers and 15" Acoustic Elegance woofers are extremely dynamic. I've toyed with the idea of a buffer to give me more flexibility.

ps I just now tried to order the 4499 but "out of stock".

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #677 of 965
I've been using ELECTRO-HARMONIX 6H30PI GOLD PIN's rotating from Phillips ECC82. I'm happy with the EH's. They seem very clear and neutral . I always use the high gain setting when using 12au7s since I have a passive pre. My waveguide speakers powered with muscular 10# 1" compression drivers and 15" Acoustic Elegance woofers are extremely dynamic. I've toyed with the idea of a buffer to give me more flexibility.

ps I just now tried to order the 4499 but "out of stock".
I really like the 6h30 tubes. I use the 6h30 chrome pins sometimes. They are quite linear and have a really good tone. I especially like how drums sound through these tubes. My only issues is that I use Jupiter caps and they don't emphasize the treble so with the 6h30 things turn a bit dark on the top end in my system. I think if I use bit more neutral caps, it wood be a very good combo.
Your speakers sound pretty good. I had Klipsch Cornwalls before the Ara Be and they just overpowered my small listening space. There are times when I do wish for that sound though :)

Dec 25, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #678 of 965
I built my speakers using the SEOS18 waveguide, BA750 cd and the aforementioned TD 15M's. The woofer is in a sealed box (~75#) with constrained damping layer between plywood. The waveguide assembly sits on top in an open box.

Maybe some Dueland .01 bypass caps would liven up the top end for the 6h30?

Dec 25, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #679 of 965
I built my speakers using the SEOS18 waveguide, BA750 cd and the aforementioned TD 15M's. The woofer is in a sealed box (~75#) with constrained damping layer between plywood. The waveguide assembly sits on top in an open box.

Maybe some Dueland .01 bypass caps would liven up the top end for the 6h30?

Saw the drivers and the construction. Pretty cool. Something to keep in mind when I get a bigger room to listen. I like the idea of using Duelund bypass caps. Right now though, I have got myself a bunch of telefunken PCC88's and Siemens 12at7's. And while the Siemens are very very good, the telefunkens' sound just right. I listen to them and every note, every instrument and voices sound - correct. They can go a bit sterile if you put in neutral rectifiers but with the WE274B and the Linlai's they sound awesome. Can't ask for more.
My experience with the 6h30 is that they are a superb tube but they need a lot of juice to come into their own. I have read in various forums that they need 20-30 mA of current to come alive. I've heard them in Audio Research gear and wow, they sound good in those amps.

Dec 25, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #680 of 965
As far as matching components, for output caps, do I need to have all 4 matched or each pair (left/right) matched? Reason I’m asking is I don't need all 4 caps at the moment and was wondering if I could match each pair as I get them if I ever need to move to balanced. Also, do you guys recommend the Mundorf Supreme S/G/O? A lot of people mention the S/O to sound better as they are more extended (or maybe even the V-Cap ODAM?). Any help would be appreciated.

I also went based off of aneep’s recommendation of the 6H30pi a while back because I realized he also uses the HE-500 and I gotta say, they sound excellent. Top end and bass are fantastic. However, if these will be my go to, should I opt for different caps?

Edit: I see I missed some important posts from a few pages back about the V-Cap ODAM's. I'll probably go with these, as they seem to be very competitive at the price and I haven't seen a single negative comment about them so far.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #681 of 965
Welp, I went through with it and ordered a pair of the V-Cap ODAMs. Looking forward to hearing them in the DAC. As much as I think I would have liked the Mundorf, the soundstage comments on these caps and responses from rajacat and others in this thread convinced me to give these a shot.

Dec 26, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #682 of 965
Well.....I'm very excited. Ordered Linlai 274B (single), (2)300B and (2) 12au7's. I corresponded with Linlai and I got the impression that they certainly want to generate buzz. The 12au7's are the latest( I think) addition to their Elite line. They have others but this one is the best. They suggested it and gave me a good deal . I might as well have them included in the shipment. :slight_smile:

Dec 28, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #685 of 965
YMMV but I had the Mundort Silver/oils and I like the ODAMS much better, BTW the silver/oils are for sale if anyone's interested.
What in particular did you like more about the ODAM vs the Mundorf? Or better yet, what was different between them? I can't wait to get mine and install them but unfortunately shipping is on hold until after January 1st :frowning2:. I emailed Garry to make sure that the 400V version is still compatible with MK1 and he reassured me that it would work fine (the only manual available now is for MK3).

Have your V-Caps and bypasses fully broken in now? How's the end result?

Dec 30, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #686 of 965
Well.....I'm very excited. Ordered Linlai 274B (single), (2)300B and (2) 12au7's. I corresponded with Linlai and I got the impression that they certainly want to generate buzz. The 12au7's are the latest( I think) addition to their Elite line. They have others but this one is the best. They suggested it and gave me a good deal . I might as well have them included in the shipment. :slight_smile:
Nice! I also use elite 2x300b, 2x845 and 12ax7 in my 219ia amp. The 274b elite I use in my dac and they (linlai) sending me 2 pieces of elite 6sn7 tubes to try in the dac and compare them to my 50 years nos Nanking 6h8c. These I use now for quite some time and for me it's the best. That would be a tough competition to see which 1 is the best. But elite of linlai prove that it's a really something. But your talking about the 12au7 elite, they do not have such a thing right? Elite versions of linlai has this typical Grey feet and every elite tube they make the ones round. There not succeeded yet in the pre tubes (except 6sn7 now recently and the 101D)but I ask the linlai vendor. Let's see what he says.
And again really stoked about the 6sn7 elite, it's the best pre tube so far and well they are difficult to make to get this nos sound of the past are hardly to get.

OH and I can recommend if you like emotional not high end harsh sound the full music 12bh7 in the dac. These ones I really like before the 6sn7. But I'm playing on a horn speaker (fostex) so needs to be your cup of tea..😅

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #687 of 965
This is good news. Were you able to try out the different filters? Would love to hear your take on the different filters.
Yes tried them for some time and it's a tough one. It really depends on your speakers, because it does quite something in the higher frequencies. First the stock (filter 1 short Delay sharp) was the best to go for. Then I tried filter 3 (super slow) because on my previous set with the 4497 back then this was my top filter to go. Now with this dac and the 4499 it's a bit to dull for me. And then my best choice was filter 6 (slow). It gives some nice emotional feeling to the instruments for digital music like ambient etc I would prefer filter 1. I also have a supertweeter and maybe the slow is the best match with my speaker setup.

What's yours to take? Let me know

Edit: oh and I also put a duelund bypass 0,01uf silver foil to my standard mundorf caps. Going to upgrade them soon to duelund or vcap, my personal taste would be duelund but darn expensive things.. I need 3.3uf because the fostex fe206en can use some more bass and its better with 3.3uf then 2.2uf unlucky.. 😅

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #688 of 965
I'm tempted to order ES9038Pro since the 4499 is so expensive and/ or out of stock. Blew my budget with the Linlai 300b/274b/12au7. Actually, the 12au7s will be Psvane Acmes which were substituted at no additional cost over the next level down ones because they were out of stock.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #689 of 965
I'm tempted to order ES9038Pro since the 4499 is so expensive and/ or out of stock. Blew my budget with the Linlai 300b/274b/12au7. Actually, the 12au7s will be Psvane Acmes which were substituted at no additional cost over the next level down ones because they were out of stock.
All I can say is wait for the 4499. It's just that better.
OH and 12au7 linlai don't have elite version, just a high end type. And the 12au7 acme doesn't exist either. I think you mean the 12au7-s arts series(it's the new build of the mk tii versions) , that's the best of psvane of pre tubes. It's better then the linlai ones for sure.

Acme is very good but only available in power tubes, and not as good as the elite of linlai. 😉 Cheers!

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #690 of 965
All I can say is wait for the 4499. It's just that better.
OH and 12au7 linlai don't have elite version, just a high end type. And the 12au7 acme doesn't exist either. I think you mean the 12au7-s arts series(it's the new build of the mk tii versions) , that's the best of psvane of pre tubes. It's better then the linlai ones for sure.

Acme is very good but only available in power tubes, and not as good as the elite of linlai. 😉 Cheers!
Yes, the 12au7's are the Art series. There's a delay getting them shipped. I checked the tracking # and its still stuck in Hong Kong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back