Musical Paradise M2-D2 AK4490 Balanced Dac Reviews?
Jun 30, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #931 of 964
Well I took delivery of the A26 today. First impressions are very very positive. I love it, it has a huge soundstage, great bass, and nicely detailed.
I can only imagine it will get better too with some more hours...no regrets at all. Now I want to try a Gustard C18, U18, and R26 lol

Jul 8, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #932 of 964
Hi, Guys, I'm using a Musical Paradise MP-D2 MkIII DAC with an Amperex GZ34 rectifier tube and four Foton 6N8S tubes (these are very close to the legendary. metal base, 1578 tube) My question is when connecting my Aurender N100H via the USB input port, I only get sound from the left channel, but when I attach my YBA CD-4 transport/CDP via coax I get sound from both channels, I've replaced the USB cord with two other USB cords and had no change. I've also switched the adaptor and 6N8S tube that was used for that channel and again no change.

Does anyone have any other ideas I might try? I'd appreciate any input at all...

Tom aka Thetubeguy19554

Aug 2, 2023 at 12:20 AM Post #933 of 964
Garry mentioned that something new is on the horizon for July 2023, he wouldn’t let me in on the secret, LOL.
I still use a Pontus 2 and a MP-D1 MK1 that’s heavily modded. It sounds incredible.
Well, July has come and gone…I’ve got some money burning a hole in my pocket and I’d like to use it to upgrade from my MP-D2 MK1…

So, any more news? :wink:

Oct 24, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #934 of 964
https://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=109

Looks like the new DAC is here - MP-DX. Comes with the latest ESS chip as a option and Streaming capabilities. But no tube rectification.
1698186790342.png

Oct 24, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #935 of 964
https://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=109

Looks like the new DAC is here - MP-DX. Comes with the latest ESS chip as a option and Streaming capabilities. But no tube rectification.
1698186790342.png
I owned two of the MP-D2 MK3 Deluxe units, sold both last year to buy the FIIO M17, now I I need a desktop DAC again, this unit may be it. Hopefully, the pre-amp section of this version will be good enough so that one won't need an extra pre-amp.

Oct 26, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #937 of 964

Tube rectification is a must for me and i dont need a streamer so i will give this one a miss. I chatted to Garry about it and he did say that the ESS ES9068AS has digital volume control but the ESS ES9039MSPRO doesnt. If you do have the older ES9038pro you can use those plug in modules on the DX. Also if you happen to have the Crystek 950 ext clock, that is reuseable as well.

Jan 7, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #938 of 964
Hello and best wishes for the New Year.

I've just sold my Denafrips Ares II DAC, which, for its price, doesn't disappoint. But I've been itching to improve this part of my audio system for a few months now. Of course, I thought of the brand's big brother, the Pontus II, and then the Gustard R26, but in the end I chose this DAC, so singular and almost confidential in France.

In fact, since the end of 2023, Garry has been offering a DAC that has been thoroughly revised in many respects. You can see the profound difference between the old and the new just by looking inside. We can't reduce all these changes to the disappearance of the rectifier tubes.

In fact, recent tubes have both advantages and disadvantages. On the plus side, they're often smoother. But their disappearance often results in a quieter, more dynamic and transparent device.

This choice was also confirmed by the manufacturer of my SET 300b audio amplifier, FEZZ audio Mira Ceti 300b, which I like very much. For the same reason, FEZZ didn't want to use them on their amplifier. This is also Elekit's choice for its two SET amplifiers (I owned the TU8200DX, SET by 6L6WGC, which I really liked).For this new DAC. I trust Garry to have spent a long time honing his device so that its musicality is judged to be good and an improvement on the old version. I contacted him for some information and he confirmed that this new model is, to his ears, musically better than the old one.

I can well understand that if you have the old model, there's probably little point in changing it for the new one, unless your musical quest is for greater transparency and dynamics. For my part, after a Denafrips Ares II and a great deal of thought, my choice fell on this new Musical Paradise DAC. It's a Musical Paradise, and the quest for smooth, analog reproduction has always been Garry's goal, in every device he designs.

I also asked Garry about AKM chipsets. His answer is that the version delivered after the factory fire are lightened (currently AKM4499EX, prior to the AKM4499 fire) is less powerful than the old ones. So, for the time being, he's keeping them on the back burner, while waiting for more advanced, high-performance versions. For my part, I would have preferred AKM, even if in my opinion, the most important elements in a DAC are a strong, separate power supply for digital and analog, tube output stages and the quality of the output capacitors.

For financial reasons, I have to wait until early March to place my order. In the meantime, I had ordered some Jupiter Cooper capacitors, but they're out of stock. I then modified my order and chose Miflex 2.2 uF KPCU 600 V capacitors, as well as two Duelund by pass 0.01 uF 600 Vdc JDM-Sn/Cu series capacitors, paper oil in tinned copper foil. In fact, I'm delighted with this change, as probably the Miflexes are a better choice for me, as I like a bit of warmth on the vocals.

I hope that a lucky owner of this DAC will write a review of his musical experience with his new DAC.

Finally, I'm interested in the clock battery option, but only on condition that the clock is active on the SPDIF input, as I won't be using the USB input (Gustard U18). Do you know if this is the case ? Thanks for helping me make this choice of whether or not to buy the battery-powered clock for the SPDIF input.

Have a nice Sunday !

Jean-Louis.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #941 of 964
When I asked Garry the question, this was his response :

"Rectifier tubes are not quite reliable, more trouble. Also, only a couple very expensive ones (>$300USD) can sound a bit better than solid state rectifiers. Also, the sonic speed is a bit slow compared to solid state, so we don't want to use it on the new DAC. However, MP-DX obviously sounds better than MP-D2 MK3 Deluxe in almost every aspect even with lower priced ES9068AS DAC modules".

Jan 7, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #942 of 964
I always used my own home brewed SS plug in rectifiers. Tube rectification is slow and sloppy and as the tubes age their parameters change placing a different load on the power supply. I know you can regulate a tube rectified power supply with predictable results but the MP DACs are not in this same class Therefore SS diodes worked better. I assume Garry found the same results and decided to use SS diodes instead which would be a step up for the MP-D2. Even my Dynaco ST-70 sounds better with SS diodes instead of the tube rectifier, people should try it sometime.

Jan 7, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #943 of 964
J'ai toujours utilisé mes propres redresseurs enfichables SS fabriqués maison. La rectification des tubes est lente et bâclée et, à mesure que les tubes vieillissent, leurs paramètres changent, ce qui impose une charge différente sur l'alimentation électrique. Je sais que vous pouvez réguler une alimentation redressée à tube avec des résultats prévisibles, mais les DAC MP ne sont pas dans cette même classe. Par conséquent, les diodes SS ont mieux fonctionné. Je suppose que Garry a trouvé les mêmes résultats et a décidé d'utiliser des diodes SS à la place, ce qui constituerait une avancée pour le MP-D2. Même mon Dynaco ST-70 sonne mieux avec des diodes SS au lieu du tube redresseur, les gens devraient l'essayer un jour.
Interesting ! Thanks a lot for sharing.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #944 of 964
Tube rolling is a blast and it sounds like I could add a SS plug in rectifiers to the list. Which one would you recommended because when I check them out they say to be careful might need to change some electronic parts or risk damage to your equipment? I have a mk1 and mk3 deluxe if that makes a difference.

Feb 1, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #945 of 964
Hello to you all.

I have received the new Musical Paradise MP-DX DAC. I chose the new ES9039MSPRO chipset, the tubes are E-6SN7 Linlai Elite. I placed 2.2 uF copper Miflex CPCU capacitors (they're huge and it's no longer possible to close the DAC case, which isn't a problem for me) with JDM 600 v 0.01 uF bypass Duelund.

IMG_20240125_161454.jpg

I just received an SR Purple fuse yesterday, which is installed.

It's been working for a week (the amplifier is off) and will be working until Saturday or Sunday, when I'll be able to do some listening, finaly ! :)

Have a nice musical day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back