Musical Paradise M2-D2 AK4490 Balanced Dac Reviews?
Apr 20, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #916 of 964
I'm planning to connect an external clock to the USB card clock input. Is my understanding correct that the clock connected to it will be used as a timing reference by the AKM DAC chips? If so, would you know the input impedance of the clock input?
50 ohm.

Jun 18, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #917 of 964
Happy fathers day...I have been thinking about another DAC for a while now. I was thinking Holo May KTE or Terminator Plus, but dont want to spend that kind of money now. I like the Musetec MH-DA005 too. The two that really intrigue me, especially at their prospective price points are Gustard A26 & R26. Now I like detail and soundstage so making a decision for A26 or R26 is a tuff choice. Coming from the 9038s in the Musical Paradise MP-D2 MK3 deluxe I am kinda leaning towards the A26. I also like the looks and a couple of the features of the A26. I am sure I could live with either, but I am not sure if the R26 would do it for me. I also use the Innuos Phoenix USB enhanser/decrapifier so I am not sure how the would play with the Gustards. ....or would the Gustards not really be a big jump in performance???

Jun 18, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #918 of 964
The best DAC is the Audio GD R7HE. Read the Stereophile reviews. I own one and it is jaw droppingly good.

Add a master clock and it's even better.

Jun 18, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #921 of 964
I dont plan on getting rid of the MP D2 MK3. I have a 1959 Amperex Bugle Boy GZ34 rectifier and 4 1964 Philips E88CC in it. I just want to try something different. How did the MPD2 compare to the Terminator and the R26. I think I may try the A26, but curiosity will probably get the best of me and I will eventually want to try the R26 too

Jun 18, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #922 of 964
For sometime now the MP-D2 MK3 is not available in their site. Might there be something brewing. If it's me, will hold my itch for a while.

Jun 19, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #924 of 964
Garry mentioned that something new is on the horizon for July 2023, he wouldn’t let me in on the secret, LOL.
I still use a Pontus 2 and a MP-D1 MK1 that’s heavily modded. It sounds incredible.
For sometime now the MP-D2 MK3 is not available in their site. Might there be something brewing. If it's me, will hold my itch for a while.
i figured somethings up... :)

Jun 19, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #925 of 964
Since you already have a Delta-Sigma DAC in the MP-D2 I would try the R26 for something different. I own an MP-D2 Mk3 and also a May KTE and a Spring 3 KTE. The Spring 3 KTE will get you well over 90% of the May for a little over half the price. I would think moving to A26 would be a sideways ESS move.

Jun 21, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #926 of 964
Since you already have a Delta-Sigma DAC in the MP-D2 I would try the R26 for something different. I own an MP-D2 Mk3 and also a May KTE and a Spring 3 KTE. The Spring 3 KTE will get you well over 90% of the May for a little over half the price. I would think moving to A26 would be a sideways ESS move.
You might be right about the sideways move with the A26, although it does have the 4399 AKM chips. The May KTE is about 4 x the price of the A26, I would like to try it though. Some people dont like R2R dacs. I read where someone said the R26 is equal to the Springs 3, that would make it a dam good value.

How does your May KTE compare to the MP-D2 MK3. My MPD2 MK3 has the mundorf SGO caps, NOS output tubes, NOS rectifier and together with the Innuos Phoenix I think it sounds pretty dam good. I just wanted to try something else that is very good or excellent, but doesnt cost a small fortune. I may get a R26 yet or who knows maybe I will get a May KTE.

Jun 21, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #927 of 964
My MP-D2 has the AKM 4497 chipset with NOS tubes but the standard capacitors so to me the A26 would definitely be a sideways move and still think it would for you. I don't use any re-clockers after any of my DAC;s. To my ears and in my system the May KTE is a definite step up in sound quality from the MP-D2 but so is the Spring 3 KTE. Either one though is a price jump from the MP so if you just want a taste of the R2R sound then the R26 is a good place to start I would think based on owner reviews. Other than that patience on the used market is your best bet.

Jun 21, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #928 of 964
My MP-D2 has the AKM 4497 chipset with NOS tubes but the standard capacitors so to me the A26 would definitely be a sideways move and still think it would for you. I don't use any re-clockers after any of my DAC;s. To my ears and in my system the May KTE is a definite step up in sound quality from the MP-D2 but so is the Spring 3 KTE. Either one though is a price jump from the MP so if you just want a taste of the R2R sound then the R26 is a good place to start I would think based on owner reviews. Other than that patience on the used market is your best bet.
I had the R26 at it sounded small, compressed and downright boring as compared to the my MP DAC.

Jun 21, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #929 of 964
Well then Darcman has a direct comparison. I did not find that to be the case though with the two Holo units. I still have my MP-D2 Mk III Deluxe around it is just boxed up though and needs to be sold along with a spare pair of AKM 4497 boards. Just been busy with other things.

Jun 21, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #930 of 964
I had the R26 at it sounded small, compressed and downright boring as compared to the my MP DAC.
Very Interesting...I ordered the A26. My reasoning I figured I might stick with Delta Sigma, just switch to a different flavor instead of ESS9038 which I have to AKM4399. My Innuos really brings out all the goodness in the MPD2, I hope it plays nice with the A26

Users who are viewing this thread

Back