Musical Paradise M2-D2 AK4490 Balanced Dac Reviews?
Dec 26, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #31 of 963
DONE. Pulled the trigger this morning and ordered the stock version of the MP-D2. The fact that Musical Paradise is running a 30% off sale on the MP-D2 today helped convince me......along with your excellent answers.

After I receive the DAC and get some listening time in with the stock version I will upgrade the capacitors and then the tubes. It is very cool that the MP-D2 makes capacitor changes so easy with screw down connections. Makes A/B evaluations a breeze.  I have bought many Mundorf caps from Sonic Craft which is an online dealer that carries a full line of high end capacitors and they sell the Mundorf SGO caps.

Dec 26, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #32 of 963
  DONE. Pulled the trigger this morning and ordered the stock version of the MP-D2. The fact that Musical Paradise is running a 30% off sale on the MP-D2 today helped convince me......along with your excellent answers.

After I receive the DAC and get some listening time in with the stock version I will upgrade the capacitors and then the tubes. It is very cool that the MP-D2 makes capacitor changes so easy with screw down connections. Makes A/B evaluations a breeze.  I have bought many Mundorf caps from Sonic Craft which is an online dealer that carries a full line of high end capacitors and they sell the Mundorf SGO / GSO caps for about 1/3 the MP upgrade prices.

Great stuff! I'm sure you won't be disappointed.....it will be good to have another owner in the fold....there aren't many of us, which is a great shame as it's a fantastic piece of kit. It always amazes me how many smaller companies get overlooked just because they aren't a household name.  Be sure to share your impressions when you get the dac!

sbb

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #33 of 963
  Great stuff! I'm sure you won't be disappointed.....it will be good to have another owner in the fold....there aren't many of us, which is a great shame as it's a fantastic piece of kit. It always amazes me how many smaller companies get overlooked just because they aren't a household name.  Be sure to share your impressions when you get the dac!

sbb

I know of at least two others who just purchased the MP-D2 that are members of the SET Triode group including Tom TheTubeGuy1954 above who manages that group. We all have been drooling over the MP-D2 for at least a month but that 30% one day discount yesterday was too much to resist. Stuart, you and Aneep have been very forthcoming in posting your tube and capacitor rolling results. I think this thread is a great place to post our results as well and I will encourage them to do the same.

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #34 of 963
I also ordered the Musical Paradise MP-D2 and get it Tuesday. I receive a email update from Tom through the singleendedtriode yahoo forum. I saw the price drop and jumped. I am very excited. Stay tuned, more to come.

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #35 of 963
I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of happy MP-D2 owners in the new year. For those wanting to try out new capacitors, I would recommend the Audyn caps if someone wants to try them out. They are supposed be in between the Mundorfs and the Jupiters - very neutral with tons of detail and tone. Probably next on my list. To me the jupiter caps, though they sound very natural and have a fabulous bass, are not the last word in detail. I have the LH Labs V2+ infinity and  paired with Fostex Te-05 - the combination gives me a smidge more detail or I should say that the detail is brought to the front in a very apparent U curve. But.. but but but... the detail seems forced whereas the MP-D2 has all the same detail but it is presented in such a natural manner. And ofcourse, then there is the soundstage of the MP-D2....IMAX 3D ...in vivid technicolor.
Besides, I don't know of any other DAC that allows the user to try out so many different signal tubes and so many different rectifiers. I am a fan of Dubstep Girl's rectifier review on this site and I have tried out a few rectifiers from her list....they play out exactly as mentioned in the review. I am very curious to find out what effect "Space-Tech Labs' super rectifier has on the MP-D2. It is supposed to be a plug-in substitute for any 5AR4/5U4G type rectifiers. Well...need to save money and sell off some redundant items... :)

Jan 4, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #36 of 963
Last night I took the plunge and ordered the MP-D2.
biggrin.gif
 I paid the full price 
redface.gif
, $999 delivered. The sale price was incredible but it seems to be a bargain nevertheless. Time will tell.

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #37 of 963
This DAC would be a bargain at $1500. It is the most musical DAC in my highly revealing system. Other DACs sound harsh and fatiguing in my system.

I am using Amperex Bugle Boys in the M2-D2 and I am now in "Audio Nirvana". I have MULLARD Milspec 12AU7s in my preamp. Tubes from the 1960s are the ONLY way to go.

Enjoy!

Mike 

Jan 4, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #38 of 963
My MP-D2 arrived yesterday am. Wow! I am ecstatic at how good it sounds. It truly is amazing. Big sound stage, tremendous air, 3D, slightly more neutral than warm right now. I got all the upgrades and don't mind a bit. A true bargain.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #40 of 963
Thank you so much Mike. I absolutely love it. Permanent smile on my face. I've had dacs that cost 15-20X as much but I love this one, probably more. It's getting better all the time. I credit Tom, thetubeguy1954, from singleendedtriodes@yahoogroups.com for the heads up. Another bargain of the century.

Joe

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #41 of 963
Here's a shot of the upgraded mcap....

Stuart, can you please clarify which specific Mundorf cap model is installed by Musical Paradise when you ordered the upgraded caps? Mundorf has two SGO capacitors either the MCAP EVO S/G/O which is white or the Supreme MCAP S/G/O is black like the one in your picture. Do your caps say Mundorf Supreme?

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #42 of 963
The things I do for my audiophile buddies! I took the casing off and the caps are the sgo Supremes....Hope this helps.

Stuart

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #43 of 963

Hey Miamiboy, I purchased this after a short talk with Stuart. Haven't been disappointed a single minute. I tried a lot of tubes with this dac - Rohre Siemens ECC82, Radiotechnique 12AU7, Reflektor 6922 gray shields and finally 6h30Pi (Electroharmonix ARC select grade from Upscale audio). The capacitors are Jupiter copper. I think the best tubes are the 6h30Pi's followed by the Radiotechnique 12au7's.  Both are super extended across the frequency range and are super quiet.  The 6h30Pi are better than the rest by a quite a margin, though. Fantastic bass, mid-range and treble. The soundstage is completely 3 dimensional and these tubes are the quietest amongst all the ones I tried.
I use a Psvane WE replica 274B rectifier which I found to be way better than any other I tried (RCA, Bendix, Mullard and Psvane 5U4G). 
The dac is very detailed with a very natural presentation. Where it shines though, is the tonality...the tone is so..so ..so natural.  I am really happy with this dac. Its a keeper for me.

Aneep....I was wondering about your impressions on signal tubes for the MP-D2. I see you have tried quite a few, with the 6h30PI's coming out best for you. Any more comments on this tube? I have the gold lion E88CC tubes currently, but am looking to try some others. 

Thanks in advance!

Stuart

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #44 of 963
Hey Stuart,
I did try out a few tubes with the MP-D2 namely the Russian 6H6p, Radiotechnique 12AU7, Reflektor 75' grey shields with single as well as plate getters, Siemens E82CC and the 6H30Pi gold pins. I will quick list a few traits of each tube ( IMHO).  Mind you...all of the above are pretty good in their own way and in a properly matched system would shine....

I usually listen through my studio monitors which are PTE Phoenix ( as good or at least approaching the ATC 50 ASL's - again IMHO). I use a Audio-Gd Master 9 as my preamp/headamp. I use balanced cables which I built myself with 16agw occ silver for the signal wires and occ copper for the return). I use Shunyata Hydra's for power conditioning and Synergistic Black fuses all over. My system ....for lack of a better word ...can be called as ultra-neutral. And this - to a large extent- has also influenced my choice in tubes - I think.

The Audio-Gd adds a slight bit of solid state character to the sound of the MP-D2 but otherwise is quite neutral. So here goes...

1) Radiotechnique 12AU7 - I think these are the most neutral and extended 12AU7's that I have used. They are well extended on both ends of the spectrum, have a tight bass, decently wide sound stage and a very good mid-range. By themselves, these are probably the last 12AU7's that anybody would ever need. Very quiet.

2) Siemens E82CC - I have read that these are supposed to be slightly rolled off in treble. While I don't think that they are particularly rolled off in the treble, they do have a slight emphasis on the midbass and bass which tends to flavour their sound signature a tad bottom focused. But for someone with using bookshelf speakers or if your system is slightly lean  or using HD800 headphones - these could very well be the tubes. They have just the right amount of extra warmth and slam to fill up the sound.

3. Russian 6H6Pi - Very good tubes. Very wide sound stage, well extended top end and a gorgeous mid-range. They have a good mid-bass but in my system the bass sounds slightly light compared to the rest of the group. It a difference between A & A+ but still... I would recommend tube dampers for these. Makes an improvement.

4. Reflektor 6922 75' grey shields - These tubes have it all. Extension, tone, soundstage, mid-range, vocals.... everything. They are probably equals to the 6H30's in every way. The only place where the 6H30 overtake them is dynamics and bass slam and that too, only by a very small margin.

5. 6H30Pi Gold Pin - ARC Select from Upscale Audio -  I think these tubes deserve the super-tube name. They are super extended on both ends, have a wide 3D soundstage (largest of all tubes above), fantastic mid-range (vocals, vocals, vocals...), are very quiet, very detailed. But the the best feature of these tubes is their tonality.  Violins, Cellos, Guitars, Pianos, Trumpets...all sound heavenly through these tubes. And then of course; there is that bass....punch in the gut kind of bass. This tube is also very very linear - almost ruler scale flat frequency. I think my money was well spent on these tubes. 

Another tube I tried with the MP-D2 is the Sylvania 6201 Gold Brand (12AT7). I think this is also a very special tube. I did not get to listen for very long as they belonged to a friend but this tube has a very sweet and very very well extended and linear sound. What really stood out to be was how quiet this tube was and how pliant and extended the bass was on this tube. This is another tube which is on my 'to buy' list. 

I hope the above description helps. I do have a tendency to get carried away..my bad.

Jan 12, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #45 of 963
Hi guys!   I also purchased an MP-D2 DAC on 12/26/16 when Musical Paradise had them on sale for $720!   I have a some of 6H30-DR tubes that I want to try in place of the 6H6 tubes that it came with stock!  I'm also going to try some Voskhod "rocket logo" 6H23n tubes as well.  These are a direct drop-in replacement for 6DJ8 / 6922 / 7308 / Cca tubes!  The best part is you can often still find them for $35 to $45 a pair.  In that past, I sold over 200 pairs of these Voskhod 6H23n tubes ---{I don't sell tubes any longer}--- and I had more than a few clients write back and tell me either: a) they couldn't hear a difference between the Voskhod 6H23n & the Telefunken Cca tubes or else they write and say: b) I can hear a difference between the Voskhod 6H23n & the Telefunken Cca tubes, but the sonic differences are so slight, and when you consider the Voskhod 6H23n cost $35/pr and the Telefunken Cca cost $600/pr. Purchasing the Voskhods is a no-brainer!

I'm also going to try a different rectifier tube but for now would rather not say what it until I find out if I can use it, like I believe I can, and how it sounds after I try it!  I personally love this DAC. It replaced an Audio-gd Reference 7.1 in my audio system. I was originally leaning towards the Gustard X20u, but the more I read about the MP-D2 and the few comments I could find from those who already owned one, swayed me towards the Musical Paradise!  Besides I am a tube guy at heart.  The MP-D2 fit into my audio system, which now consists of a 135 LB, 40W/ch, Mastersound Reference 845, integrated, SET amp, a YBA Genesis CD-4 CDP/Transport, a Musical Paradise MP-D2 DAC and a pair of Beauhorn Virtuoso speakers loaded with Lowther DX4 drivers, like a hand in a glove, but I digress.  This DAC is a wonderful sounding unit. So far I've found that the only things that limit's it's sonic performance are: the wires used and the quality of the signal those wires carry!  I wholeheartedly recommend this DAC to anyone looking for a new DAC and not just at it price either!  Remember it replaced a DAC that cost 2x as much in my system...

I'm listening to: A Place For Me by Margot Roi

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society -- Full-range/Wide-range Drivers -- Front & Back-Loaded Horns -- High Sensitivity Speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back