Musical Paradise M2-D2 AK4490 Balanced Dac Reviews?
Jan 12, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #46 of 964
  Hi guys!   I also purchased an MP-D2 DAC on 12/26/16 when Musical Paradise had them on sale for $720!   I have a some of 6H30-DR tubes that I want to try in place of the 6H6 tubes that it came with stock!  I'm also going to try some Voskhod "rocket logo" 6H23n tubes as well.  These are a direct drop-in replacement for 6DJ8 / 6922 / 7308 / Cca tubes!  The best part is you can often still find them for $35 to $45 a pair.  In that past, I sold over 200 pairs of these Voskhod 6H23n tubes ---{I don't sell tubes any longer}--- and I had more than a few clients write back and tell me either: a) they couldn't hear a difference between the Voskhod 6H23n & the Telefunken Cca tubes or else they write and say: b) I can hear a difference between the Voskhod 6H23n & the Telefunken Cca tubes, but the sonic differences are so slight, and when you consider the Voskhod 6H23n cost $35/pr and the Telefunken Cca cost $600/pr. Purchasing the Voskhods is a no-brainer!

I'm also going to try a different rectifier tube but for now would rather not say what it until I find out if I can use it, like I believe I can, and how it sounds after I try it!  I personally love this DAC. It replaced an Audio-gd Reference 7.1 in my audio system. I was originally leaning towards the Gustard X20u, but the more I read about the MP-D2 and the few comments I could find from those who already owned one, swayed me towards the Musical Paradise!  Besides I am a tube guy at heart.  The MP-D2 fit into my audio system, which now consists of a 135 LB, 40W/ch, Mastersound Reference 845, integrated, SET amp, a YBA Genesis CD-4 CDP/Transport, a Musical Paradise MP-D2 DAC and a pair of Beauhorn Virtuoso speakers loaded with Lowther DX4 drivers, like a hand in a glove, but I digress.  This DAC is a wonderful sounding unit. So far I've found that the only things that limit's it's sonic performance are: the wires used and the quality of the signal those wires carry!  I wholeheartedly recommend this DAC to anyone looking for a new DAC and not just at it price either!  Remember it replaced a DAC that cost 2x as much in my system...

I'm listening to: A Place For Me by Margot Roi

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society -- Full-range/Wide-range Drivers -- Front & Back-Loaded Horns -- High Sensitivity Speakers

Hi Tom,
Wow! I have to say that I am a little jealous that you have 6H30-DR tubes :)). I have been wanting to get me a quad but the price just puts them out of my range - atleast for now. I would love to try out the Voskhod 6H23n. Do you know of any source that I can try. Could you also - in time - give your opinion on this dac vs others that you have tried and perhaps impressions on different tubes. I myself am a big fan of the 6H30 tubes ( partially because I love a neutral sound). But I like that fact that more people are trying out the MP-D2. It certainly deserves more love and attention.

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #47 of 964
Hi guys!   I also purchased the MP-301 MK3 (with Svetlana EF86 and stock power) and the D2 DAC (with 6H6 and 5U4G rectifier). The MP-301 arrived first and is simply amazing.

I am also a great fan of the 6n23p and 6n23p-ev. You used to have buy them in bulk - 20 6n23p-ev for $10 a few years back. Can you clarify which version (6n23p or 6n23p-ev) do you think is better for the D2? 

I have also heard great things with respect to the 6n6p. There are also various versions of 6n6p and the version to avoid is the 6n6p-i (the impulse power version). Has anyone tried the different versions?

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #49 of 964
I just bought some 6n1p-ev and will give it a try. This tubes draws 600ma (almost twice as much) heater current as 6922 but the D2 already supports 6n6p which draws 750ma. The 6n1p is supposed to be more linear than the others in the D2 supported list. Linearity is a highly sought quality.

The 6N1P-EV tube is a miniature glass-envelope small-signal dual triode intended for use as a line-level amplifier or driver in high-quality audio amplifiers. Except for higher heater-current consumption, it is a direct plug-in replacement for the 6DJ8, ECC88 or 6922 in most high-level audio applications. Features include very low distortion - optimized for line stages; medium transconductance; internally shielded between sections, allowing their use at differing signal levels; higher plate-voltage and dissipation rating than 6DJ8 types; and larger cathode than 6DJ8 types, giving it longer life and more transient current capability.

Characteristics

Electrical

Cathode Oxide-coated, unipotential
Heater voltage (AC or DC) 6.3 volts AC or DC (±0.6 volts)
Heater current 600 mA ±35 mA
Heater-cathode voltage 100 volts peak
Amplification factor (nominal) 33
Transconductance (nominal) 7500 μS
Plate resistance (nominal) 4400 ohms

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #50 of 964
  I just bought some 6n1p-ev and will give it a try. This tubes draws 600ma (almost twice as much) heater current as 6922 but the D2 already supports 6n6p which draws 750ma. The 6n1p is supposed to be more linear than the others in the D2 supported list. Linearity is a highly sought quality.

The 6N1P-EV tube is a miniature glass-envelope small-signal dual triode intended for use as a line-level amplifier or driver in high-quality audio amplifiers. Except for higher heater-current consumption, it is a direct plug-in replacement for the 6DJ8, ECC88 or 6922 in most high-level audio applications. Features include very low distortion - optimized for line stages; medium transconductance; internally shielded between sections, allowing their use at differing signal levels; higher plate-voltage and dissipation rating than 6DJ8 types; and larger cathode than 6DJ8 types, giving it longer life and more transient current capability.

Characteristics

Electrical

Cathode Oxide-coated, unipotential
Heater voltage (AC or DC) 6.3 volts AC or DC (±0.6 volts)
Heater current 600 mA ±35 mA
Heater-cathode voltage 100 volts peak
Amplification factor (nominal) 33
Transconductance (nominal) 7500 μS
Plate resistance (nominal) 4400 ohms

It would be great if the  6N1P-EV  is compatible with MP-D2. The 6N23P is getting hard to source. You're rolling the dice on Ebay. I'll be looking forward to your trial. The 6N1P-EV is all over the place for reasonable money.  The D2 has a very robust power supply (150W) so the high current demand of the 6N1P should be no problem. There's also a separate tranny (80W) for digital.

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #51 of 964
Gents,
Due to this thread and a mention of the MP D2 on another forum I purchased a stock unit from Gary. It arrived on 1/17/17 and went straight into my system. I had been looking for a dac and like a few of you was considering a Gustard, but the flexibility and custom options steered me to the MP D2. 
It sounded ok right out of the box but now with about 125 hours on it the SQ has greatly improved. I replaced the stock rectifier with a Philips 5R4GYS I had lying around and ordered a pair of iFi NOS 6922 tubes which showed up yesterday. Wow! what an improvement over the stock tubes! The sound stage exploded deeper and wider and imaging is off the charts. Tonality is good but not great yet since I still have the stock Obbligato caps in place. I hope to order some caps soon, but for now I'm thoroughly enjoying what I'm hearing. I also replaced the stock power cord with an Aural Thrills Active cord and the improvement was very noticeable. Blacker and quieter background.   
I'm using a highly modified 47 Labs Flatfish Transport to the coax input on the D2 and the fixed RCA outs. My preamp is a 4P1L DHT unit designed and built by Radu Tarta of Simple Pleasures. Amps are Audio Space AS-6M 300b SET and speakers are Charney Audio Maestro 100db rear loaded horns designed on the Tractrix Theory. All cabling is Jenna labs.

All things considered the D2 is a great well thought out piece of gear that sounds fantastic! There are few, if any, equipment builders who design their gear to be so easily customized by the end user. At a different time I had owned a very well made Audio Note Kits 2.1b that was modded to the hilt with BG caps and AN Silver Coupling caps. I had to sell it for financial reasons (thank you Wall Street and your greedy illegal mortgage mess) and still kick myself for it! Not any more! A tricked out D2 with the right tubes and caps knocks hard on that door!

Chris

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-nos-6922-2/   

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/vacuum-tubes/products/philips-5r4gys-made-in-holland

https://simplepleasuretubeamps.wordpress.com/products/

http://charneyaudio.com/the-maestro2

Jan 24, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #52 of 964
  Hi guys!   I also purchased the MP-301 MK3 (with Svetlana EF86 and stock power) and the D2 DAC (with 6H6 and 5U4G rectifier). The MP-301 arrived first and is simply amazing.

I am also a great fan of the 6n23p and 6n23p-ev. You used to have buy them in bulk - 20 6n23p-ev for $10 a few years back. Can you clarify which version (6n23p or 6n23p-ev) do you think is better for the D2? 

I have also heard great things with respect to the 6n6p. There are also various versions of 6n6p and the version to avoid is the 6n6p-i (the impulse power version). Has anyone tried the different versions?

I believe that the 6n23p-ev is the long life military spec version. Somebody could get this confirmed perhaps. The Voskhod 6n23p-ev is well regarded. 
I have been trying both the 6 volt (6922/6dj8 series) as well as 12volt (12a*7) tubes with this dac and almost all work well, including the 6n30p tubes. I also pulled the trigger on some 6n1p-ev tubes recently along with the Sylvania 12AT7W's. Will try to put a small comparison on how they work.

I however do believe that rectifier tubes make equal amount of difference in this dac. Would really like to know the experience of others with regards to rectifiers.
Cheers 

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #54 of 964
Hey Chris, 
Give them 200 hours atleast, to be safe. My jupiter caps were supposed to open up fully after around 300-400 hours and I think they took more than that.
Cheers

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #56 of 964
Yes they are the Jupiter copper foil caps. I really like these caps. I have read in a few places that these have a bit lower top end resolution as compared to the Mundorfs but I wouldn't know. I have listened to some of my usual go-to recordings and I did not find anything missing. What I do know is that these caps are extremely organic sounding. Voices sound so so good with these caps. The same with instruments. I think that getting realistic cymbals is a tough job for any system but with caps cymbals have weight, presence as well as that shimmer that we so like.  Resolution is top notch as is soundstage, placement and separation. Bass is fantastic but they are neutral enough to show even minute differences in all the tubes that I have tested. 
In the absence of a real comparison with other caps (other than the stock caps) I am not able to say how they fare against other caps but all reviews rate these right at the top. Only Duelands are supposed to be better. I think for the MP-D2 the caps of choice can be either Mundorf (airy, more detail on top) or Jupiter (organic, natural, realistic) or the Audyn (neutral, straddling between the other two) - based on what I have read.

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #57 of 964

Got the batch of 6HP1-eb or 6np1-ev that I had ordered. All are from 1983. First impression is extremely positive. Very linear and well extended and tonality is pretty good straight out of the box. Treble is as extended as the 6h30 they replaced and Bass is almost the same in volume terms with some initial bloom. Same size as a 6922 (I couldn't help but put the 6h30's in the box for a comparison). Treble is slightly..very slighly zingy which is expected as these are new tubes. Tone is very good...the 6h30's are tone monsters and these come very close right out of the box. 
Going by by experience with tubes, the bass should go down a bit in quantity and become more tighter while the treble should smoothen out but extend a bit more. If that happens, these tubes are gonna rock...keeping fingers crossed. But for the money....these are already a bargain.
I believe some of you have also ordered these tubes. Let's please hear how you like/dislike them.
Cheers

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #58 of 964
  Yes they are the Jupiter copper foil caps. I really like these caps. I have read in a few places that these have a bit lower top end resolution as compared to the Mundorfs but I wouldn't know. I have listened to some of my usual go-to recordings and I did not find anything missing. What I do know is that these caps are extremely organic sounding. Voices sound so so good with these caps. The same with instruments. I think that getting realistic cymbals is a tough job for any system but with caps cymbals have weight, presence as well as that shimmer that we so like.  Resolution is top notch as is soundstage, placement and separation. Bass is fantastic but they are neutral enough to show even minute differences in all the tubes that I have tested. 
In the absence of a real comparison with other caps (other than the stock caps) I am not able to say how they fare against other caps but all reviews rate these right at the top. Only Duelands are supposed to be better. I think for the MP-D2 the caps of choice can be either Mundorf (airy, more detail on top) or Jupiter (organic, natural, realistic) or the Audyn (neutral, straddling between the other two) - based on what I have read.

The Jupiters are at the top of my list although I'm a little put off by the price @$112 each. Presently, I'm also considering trying a pair of Mundorf Silver/Oil which I  found used at $80/pr. How these sound in comparison to the Gold/oils is supposedly a matter of taste versus accuracy/resolution. At the price they might be worth a try.

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #59 of 964

Got the batch of 6HP1-eb or 6np1-ev that I had ordered. All are from 1983. First impression is extremely positive. Very linear and well extended and tonality is pretty good straight out of the box. Treble is as extended as the 6h30 they replaced and Bass is almost the same in volume terms with some initial bloom. Same size as a 6922 (I couldn't help but put the 6h30's in the box for a comparison). Treble is slightly..very slighly zingy which is expected as these are new tubes. Tone is very good...the 6h30's are tone monsters and these come very close right out of the box. 
Going by by experience with tubes, the bass should go down a bit in quantity and become more tighter while the treble should smoothen out but extend a bit more. If that happens, these tubes are gonna rock...keeping fingers crossed. But for the money....these are already a bargain.
I believe some of you have also ordered these tubes. Let's please hear how you like/dislike them.
Cheers

I'm one of those that ordered a pair of 6np1-ev. I placed the order to the Russian seller on 1/17. You sure have to have patience when dealing with items from Russia. I hope I eventually get them. I'll post a review if/when they arrive.

Feb 5, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #60 of 964
Hey Rajacat,
Completely agree with you man. Prices are crazy and this hobby is no less addictive than a drug. If my wife knew the amount of money I have blown on the MP-D2 so far, she is going to start looking for a lawyer ha ha. 
ON the 6n1p-ev's I am at the stage where I know I have to wait and disregard whatever I am hearing from the tubes, but man...its frustrating. Compared to yesterday, the treble has extended a bit but the bass quantity went down, mid-bass warmth remained and the timbre has smoothened.....and I am like...what the fork??
But we will see, how they turn out finally....
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back