Musical Information Above 13 Khz?
Oct 17, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #61 of 65
Ahh, but up to 10KHz it's all golden!
biggrin.gif

/on another note, I MUST listen to some higher-end Senns.
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #62 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, you said that "Most of the percussions ARE above 13khz..they lie between 14-16 khz.." and this is the reason rds lol'ed at you and i completely agree with him, because it's crazy BS even under your lofty standards. If you want to tell that "there's lot of musical information above 13 khz" tell that straight without useless fantasies.
I never slap your lips when you talking sense and not some ridiculousity. Even though it's like 1\20 post ratio, but you have nobody to blame but yourself.
Also, at least i contributing head-fi by pinpointing your nonsense and you have done nothing aside from info-polluting various threads.

I award a small prize for this post.

On topic, there's a lot of information up in the second half of the CD range. Depending on the type of music, the bulk of it can be nth order harmonics of strings or percussion, however I am in my own mind convinced that the preservation of the full spectrum up to 20khz is one of the largest factors responsible for the increased sense of what is often termed realism in say, a lossless to mp3 comparison.

I also agree somewhat that its often more noticeable via speakers than headphones.

Further and more accurate reproduction of higher frequencies is the reason why supertweeters exist.

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #63 of 65
Currently, I am still at the same state; I can hear up to 15 khz, albeit I have to turn up the volume a bit:

http://ia301125.us.archive.org/0/ite...z_audacity.wav

I decided to go to a nightclub last evening, but only stayed for about half an hour, before I decided the music volume was too high. I was wearing silicone earplugs, which are rated at 22 NRR, but which actually provide up to 30 db reduction. I trust that with the protection, I was able to maintain the status quo.

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #64 of 65
Well, 2nd and 3rd order harmonics at the top of the audible range, and even higher for psychacoustics (sensed not heard), are a very real qualitative element of music. A major one ? no. Especially not for avg. consumer. They impart a certain sound, or better yet, a certain effect on the corresponding freqs below. Sweet, rich, warm, are all adjectives that have alot to do with high frequency representation/saturation, not just bass/low mid freq. there are of course certain necessary curves and dips for phones that are not required for speakers.

But keep in mind there are reasons why the pro audio circuit pays large sums for old pieces with terrible numbers (very high levels of harmonic distortion, etc.)

Also, the statements about MP3 kbps qualitative perceptions are strongly rooted in these concepts.
Above 13k is important, without doubt.
BTW, if you can hear your old TV's tinny whine, you can hear well above 15k.

Nov 19, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #65 of 65
I'm starting to believe the argument that there is important information above 13 khz. I think it's more of a sense of "air" or dimension than anything else. I think it lends a dimension of spatiality and makes things sound more three dimensional.

I am really concerned as I know so many people who are over 30 as I am, top out at around 15 or 16 khz if they are fortunate. I know it's a bit vain, but knowing the subtle information is there leads to a slight sense of deprivation. Or maybe it's just my obsessive imagination concerning minutiae.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back