Musical Information Above 13 Khz?
Oct 12, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #17 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I though mp3 treble cropping starts around 17Khz, and its also bitrate and encoder dependant aswell.

Yeah. Nowhere near as low as 14khz.

Oct 12, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #19 of 65
well, using the foobar spectrum analyzer set at 40 band... lame 3.97 vbr v0 does play up to 20khz pretty well. I compared playing the same song from the original cd and the spectrum looked identical actually or had a difference too small to see. I can only feel a little missing transient attack but not much. At vbr v2 or preset standard, some jazz or anything with lots of cymbals are noticeably cut off to my ears. I have done a 7/7 perfect score(comparing mp3 to the cd) in foobar abx even using a senn 555 out of the laptops headphone jack. How much more with better equipment.

About the percussion playing at frequencies above 15khz or so... yes, the harmonics could go up to those frequencies. ex... I'm not 100% sure here but lets say an average snare drum has an impact that plays centered around 125hz then harmonics at 4khz and 12khz etc depending upon the material of the drums...etc... The boom part of its sound playing the lower frequency, the bite part playing at around 4khz then the extra rattle of the snares in a live room can give sounds at 12 khz or so

Oct 12, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #20 of 65
This is a screendump from Foobar showing Dire Straits - Heavy Fuel
uploaded.php

I couldn't capture it at the exact moment of a cymbal hit, but you can see the marker @ 20 kHz.

Oct 12, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #22 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2. Nocturnal, you should really stop making a clown of yourself.

Look,

i ve never seen u contribute anything to head fi except scavenge on others comments.

even here u didnt give your opinion on the topic of discussion and just attacked others comment.

why dont u tell us something intelligent and stop acting like pseudo intellectual

there's lot of musical information above 13 khz and thats what i am trying to tell.

Oct 12, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #23 of 65
No, you said that "Most of the percussions ARE above 13khz..they lie between 14-16 khz.." and this is the reason rds lol'ed at you and i completely agree with him, because it's crazy BS even under your lofty standards. If you want to tell that "there's lot of musical information above 13 khz" tell that straight without useless fantasies.
I never slap your lips when you talking sense and not some ridiculousity. Even though it's like 1\20 post ratio, but you have nobody to blame but yourself.
Also, at least i contributing head-fi by pinpointing your nonsense and you have done nothing aside from info-polluting various threads.

Oct 12, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #24 of 65
PSB Speakers - The Frequencies of Music

This page pretty much explains the basics... It basically says although those frequency ranges on the chart represents the fundamentals/ the actual notes... There is a lot of information that goes lower and higher in frequencies to define the notes timbre. The other frequencies outside these fundamentals are what gives us cues whether we are listening to trumpets, pianos or whatever instrument is playing even though they are playing the same fundamental frequency or note.

Oct 12, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #25 of 65
another one on frequencies here thats a fun read
Magic Frequencies

Check out what it says about the snare for example. I was a little off but you get the idea of what I mean when I say it plays 3 or more basic frequency regions depending on what part of its sound you want to enhance. Look at all the instruments on the charts
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #26 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, you said that "Most of the percussions ARE above 13khz..they lie between 14-16 khz.." and this is the reason rds lol'ed at you and i completely agree with him, because it's crazy BS even under your lofty standards. If you want to tell that "there's lot of musical information above 13 khz" tell that straight without useless fantasies.
I never slap your lips when you talking sense and not some ridiculousity. Even though it's like 1\20 post ratio, but you have nobody to blame but yourself.
Also, at least i contributing head-fi by pinpointing your nonsense and you have done nothing aside from info-polluting various threads.

The Cymbals may not be above 13 Khz ..but when it comes to electronic music..u ll find lot of details in highs.

well because of your music preference u may not know.

but i survive on Electronic music so i got some idea here.

but if u still dont agree then i think Bose is just fine for u... "No Highs , no Lows.. could only be Bose"

there's a saying u know..

'if u dont say anything u r never wrong'

Oct 12, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #27 of 65
Based on the links I am reading, this sounds inaccurate. It seems as if harmonics (2nd, 3rd order) exist in this range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of the percussions ARE above 13khz..they lie between 14-16 khz.. also 17khz sometimes for electronic composed music.

so u r indeed missing something.

Oct 12, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #29 of 65
no fundamental frequencies start that high. thats the bottom line... Just harmonics. Its mostly cymbals or artificial cymbals that go up that high even in their harmonics

Oct 13, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #30 of 65
Let's see if I understand the big picture. 10 khz to 20 khz is the top octave perceptible to humans, and therefore includes up to 10% of the information available to human hearing. However, since frequencies do not BEGIN in that range, only second and third order harmonics, then practically speaking, less than 10% of musical information is available in that last octave.

In other words, very little musical information is available beyond 14 khz.

Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no fundamental frequencies start that high. thats the bottom line... Just harmonics. Its mostly cymbals or artificial cymbals that go up that high even in their harmonics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back