Musical Information Above 13 Khz?
Oct 13, 2008 at 10:45 AM Post #46 of 65
If you can find one, why not
smily_headphones1.gif
I cannot guarantee it will be for you, but it certainly has the sparkle, along with very good bass. Make sure you apply the pad mod, it CAN be a bit thin sounding in stock form. If done right, its bass is similar the that of the AD2000, though its mids aren't quite as forward.
The one thing you'll probably not find in it is the Senn "cream", as I mentioned before.

Oct 13, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #48 of 65
Huh? Are you saying the information present here is so minimal, it's negligible?
Perhaps that's the idea behind FM radio with it's sharp rolloff at 15 khz?

I've never really liked the sound of FM radio that much anyway. It seems to roll off bass frequencies very sharply as well as ultra high frequencies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The last octave is merely an illusion, although a very persistent one

Oct 13, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #49 of 65
just think of it this way... the difference in frequencies goes like this... 100hz to 200hz is the same difference comparing it to 10,000hz to 20,000hz

Oct 13, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #50 of 65
There's a significant amount of audio information in the 17-20,000 cycles range, mostly in overtones. You won't notice them too much with ear buds or even most headphones, but the differences are obvious with speakers.

The differences may be "small," but they contribute to the richness of a sound that make it more alive and real.

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #55 of 65
Yes the test tones that high are annoying but in music at a realistic amount, those high frequencies are great. For another analogy. Good Cognac is great when taken moderately. Drinking the Bottle straight from top to bottom will cause blurred vision

Oct 15, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #56 of 65
Well thanks for the information everyone. This is a tough time in my life, as I realize I've made some pretty stupid decisions related to my hearing, which I should not be doing at this stage in my life. I've been careless, and am suffering the consequences.

But, it looks like everyone has to deal with some hearing issues later on in life, and I am soldiering on.

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #57 of 65
Oct 17, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #58 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes the test tones that high are annoying but in music at a realistic amount, those high frequencies are great.

Yep, there is great overtones as a natural resonance.
wink.gif

With my Ultrasone, I can go up to 23-25.000Hz.
I try the K702 and I'm easily step up over my PL650 ultra spectrum sound...LOL
In most cases, I can control this crazy super high sounds with a Graphic EQ,
and Create a characteristics overtones harmonies in the music.
Some times It's hard to hear this higher melodies, but they always contribute they part to the music as a energetic vibrations = as sub vibrations, 80Khz and down.

As above, so below...

beerchug.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #59 of 65
Wow, a thread about highs and sparkle and not a single mention of the Grado 325is. Tsk tsk.
wink.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #60 of 65
hehehe maybe because they are rolled off thats why. I heard the 325s and they were bright but didn't have that shimmer in the top octaves. the graphs also confirm what I heard. The hd600s for example are more shimmery on top because the lower treble doesn't mask the upper treble.

graphCompare.php

because of the sharp cliff at 10khz, you might not be able to hear higher than 10khz on them
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back