Musical Fidelity xcan v8
Apr 17, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #61 of 421
Music Fidelity should stand for, MFer, I have to mod my gear to make it sound good..
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #62 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No kidding... they totally destroyed the elegant look of the v3 series set up...

I originally felt so too, but when I saw the new range (bar the XCan unfortunately), they look much better than in pictures. I still do prefer the more classical and timeless design of the older series though.

Mind you, the volume controls on the new series are a pain to use - too thin imho. Perhaps MF used an aneorexic teenage female midget to test the ergonomics of the new range.

Apr 17, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #63 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Music Fidelity should stand for, MFer, I have to mod my gear to make it sound good..
wink.gif

At least you'll be sticking with the same philosophy you used with your 650's
tongue.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #64 of 421
Guys, did anyone try D2000/x-can v3 or v8 combo? I'm planing to buy some amp but i can't find anything else other than x-can v3 and v8 for less than 500 euro here.
Too bad they've changed the looks of the 3 series, this new is terrible...at least in photos.

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #65 of 421
The look is not original but not so bad either. It is not that different from the Stax amplifiers. I will check my audio dealer this weekend and borrow one if he has any in stock. The sound could be interesting but it reminds to be seen. One thing I don't like about MF is their marketing. The newer model that comes way too often and is always the world best. But I am curious how it could sound like.

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #66 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacques /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I don't like about MF is their marketing. The newer model that comes way too often and is always the world best. But I am curious how it could sound like.

I agree on the marketing comments. If the new XCan is a much an improvement on the original as MF say, then the old one would have to have been about a tenth as good as a $20 CMoy.

I don't agree about the rate of model turnover though. Hasn't the old Xcan V3 been out since around 2003 or 2004? At least that is the date on the instruction leaflet. I don't think 4 or 5 years is too short a time for a model turnover at all, especially in the modern era where the hardcore stereophonic hi fi traditionalist manufacturers such as MF are wanting to add features such as USB DAC support.

Apr 30, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #69 of 421
So... has anyone tried one of these yet?

If so, what were your impressions?

Does anyone know, if this is a tube hybrid amp. I guess the MF site does identify it as having a "tube triode class A front end."

If it is a tube hybrid amp - what tubes does it use... and... where have you seen the tubes identified?

Apr 30, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #70 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So... has anyone tried one of these yet?

If so, what were your impressions?

Does anyone know, if this is a tube hybrid amp. I guess the MF site does identify it as having a "tube triode class A front end."

If it is a tube hybrid amp - what tubes does it use... and... where have you seen the tubes identified?

It uses ECC88 (6922) just like the v3, according to the description of this dealer.

May 2, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #71 of 421
I got one to try out from my dealer.
Not burned in yet of course, but I couldn't resist to do some listening.
Tried my K340 (Headphile modded), HD650, DX1000, Darth Beyers, W10VTG and PS-1.
Compared with old X-can v3 (Pinkie modded) and Corda Prehead MKII SE.
First reaction after one hour:
THIS AMP IS NOT GOING BACK TO THE DEALER!

Keywords: power, detail, dynamics, separation (together that makes "good articulation", which I find very important) and POWER.
The ease and authority with which this amp handles both the PS-1 and the K340 is astounding...

May 2, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #75 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by argentum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kees is yours with the extra power supply or the regular one ?

The regular wallwart.
I have a Little Pinkie PSU here though, that I am going to try later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back