Musical Fidelity V-LINK USB SPDIF
Apr 22, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #137 of 191

Quote:
I have discovered some oddities lately. I was re-arranging my ‘office’ at home and moved my gear. Now it’s closer to my desktop computer than where my laptop sits so I plugged it into the desktop for the heck of it. It got better. My initial belief is that the usb ports on my laptop are underpowered. It made a difference which actual port I used on the laptop. I sometimes heard some low level crud when I played music at 24/96. I would sometimes get dropouts. On my desktop, I can hear no difference if I use the usb galvanic isolator dongle (both data and power lines). Switching cables seems to make no difference. No problems. All is well in musicland. I am going to buy a powered usb hub for the laptop and see if it makes a difference.

In the meantime, I cannot tell if it’s the asynch or coax instead of usb in my dac, but the v-link has made a nice improvement. Ideally, I would have a one box dac with asych (to i2s) and galvanic isolation built-in, but where’s the fun in that? Waiting for perfection isn’t really Head-Fi-ish is it?

Quote:

Thanks for the report. I look forward to what the powered hub does. Which one are you getting?

I am interested as well, because I don't think it's a power issue, but rather a power filtering issue. It makes sense that there would be noisier power on a laptop than on a desktop. Have you compared running the laptop off the battery only to when it is plugged in to AC power?

Apr 22, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #138 of 191
I have a usb dongle to isolate the data lines and power line, and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I've tried with battery and without; also not a repeatable change. A possibility is the fact that I've tweaked and gutted the O/S to disable most services except basic i/o, but I'm not motivated to re-install windows. First I'll try a powered hub. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on a specific make/model?

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #139 of 191
Apr 26, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #140 of 191
I hate to see this thread getting so quite...
Any serious comparison between the VLink and AudioGD DI on the way from any of you guys?

Apr 26, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #141 of 191
I just got an Audio-GD DI this past weekend. I tried out the V-link briefly a couple weeks ago. Unless the V-link does a lot of break-in over time, I thought the DI was better hands down from the first note. Not to say the V-link performed badly, sounded fine. But paying the same for a DI is a no-brainer. 

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #144 of 191
May 2, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #148 of 191
v-link just arrived! Putting it through the paces, both headphones and speakers. Set up took like all of two minutes.

May 2, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #150 of 191
I agree with wushuliu, I had both and attached to a PS Audio DLIII.  The V-link was no slouch, definitely better than the Hiface I owned earlier on.  The DI + PSU just seemed to open up the soundstage a bit and the mids were punchier.  It was obvious which one was better in my system.  In your system one may sound better.  Also, the V-link has an optical out and the DI doesn't, that may be important to some.  So, given the price, if I had to choose one it would be the DI but if you wanted something immediately that is going to sound pretty good I can recommend the V-link.  The DI popped up on the for sale forum after I bought the V-link.  I was happy with the V-link, the DI was the only other one I wanted to try in the <$200 USB to S/PDIF converters.   

Quote:
I just got an Audio-GD DI this past weekend. I tried out the V-link briefly a couple weeks ago. Unless the V-link does a lot of break-in over time, I thought the DI was better hands down from the first note. Not to say the V-link performed badly, sounded fine. But paying the same for a DI is a no-brainer. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back