Musical Fidelity V-DAC Owners?
Feb 13, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #706 of 887
Well, what do you know. I ended up buying it after all.
k701smile.gif

I do feel my criticisms still hold. I think the Essence STX delivers the rhythmic section with more oomph. However the longer I listened to the V-DAC, the more I disliked the cold, dry tonality of the STX. I started feeling there's an unnecessary forwardness in the highs and that singing voices are a bit distant and nasal. The warmth and fullness of the V-DAC won me over in the end.

I'm sure there's better DACS out there, even in the ~500€ range, but since I got this at half MSRP I couldn't turn it down. Plus, the leading Finnish Hifi magazine did rate this DAC over the Heed Dactilus I was eyeing.

Feb 14, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #707 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by mangamonster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I ended up spending the next 8 hours re-listening to music again. Something that I haven't done and years. I remember thinking to myself, "Damn, so this is what music is supposed to sound like!"

This was EXACTLY my experience with the V-DAC. In my system (Yaqin MC84L integrated tube amp > Klipsch KG2), this blew my previous DAC (m-audio FastTrack Pro) completely away. I listened to music as if it was the first time I heard it, and we're talking music I was familiar with on LP for 20-30+ years...

My only "mod" is the upgraded power supply (13.8V@3amp Pyramid). The V-DAC is making me consider getting the V-LPS to replace my phono pre--because now, my digital sounds just slightly better than my vinyl.
DT

Feb 14, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #709 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This was EXACTLY my experience with the V-DAC. In my system (Yaqin MC84L integrated tube amp > Klipsch KG2), this blew my previous DAC (m-audio FastTrack Pro) completely away. I listened to music as if it was the first time I heard it, and we're talking music I was familiar with on LP for 20-30+ years...

My only "mod" is the upgraded power supply (13.8V@3amp Pyramid). The V-DAC is making me consider getting the V-LPS to replace my phono pre--because now, my digital sounds just slightly better than my vinyl.
DT

im also considering the V-LPS to replace my phono pre; I just can't get enough of the warm and fullness from the v-dac

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #710 of 887
I have been listening to my V DAC now for a little over three weeks, so I think it's probably settled into the system about as well as it can be expected to. Here’s the system as it now sits:
I have a dedicated HP s7700n desktop running Vista/iTunes with two 1TB Iomega outboard HD’s (one USB and one Firewire) these are redundant with about 14,000 songs on each, almost all Apple Lossless files. This PC has internal WiFi and is networked into my home network thru a couple AirPortExpress units that create a multi room system. The main system uses my Wadia 830 as a CD player and the V DAC is connected directly to the HP. The 830 feeds directly into a Pass Aleph 3. It also functions as a digital volume control if needed. I have been swirching back and forth by interchanging the interconnects manually. Largely we use either an iPhone or and iPod Touch as remotes via the Remote app to control iTunes. All of the computer cabling is pretty basic.
I bought the V DAC hoping to have a "good enough" solution for non-critical listening situations. In the end I think instead I am going to send the 830 back to Wadia and have a digital input board installed and just use the internal DAC for the computer. The V DAC is very flat by comparision.

Feb 17, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #712 of 887
audio advisor has "open box" versions that are $255. That's what I got, through Amazon.com. If it was an open box, they must have wiped it of fingerprints and re-sealed the box, because mine looked brand-new...
DT

PS: Redbeansand--I ordered my V-LPS and should be getting it today. I'll start a thread about it after I've listened to it.

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #713 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
audio advisor has "open box" versions that are $255. That's what I got, through Amazon.com. If it was an open box, they must have wiped it of fingerprints and re-sealed the box, because mine looked brand-new...
DT

PS: Redbeansand--I ordered my V-LPS and should be getting it today. I'll start a thread about it after I've listened to it.

sounds good, can't wait to hear your verdict

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #715 of 887
So how many people bought the V-dac from ebay seller ukaudiogalleria?

It's been nearly a month since my item was apparently shipped, still not here... The seller did tell me it could take up to 6 weeks, but that seems a bit crazy for air mail (unless he ships sea mail).

Cheers
frown.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #717 of 887
Well my original shipment has gone missing somewhere, but the seller was extremely quick with communication and has sent me another one out with a tracking number. So I'll see how that goes, hope this one arrives.

Otherwise for anyone who decides to buy from that seller please ask him to send via trackable service haha! Gotta give him props for good communication.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back