Musical Fidelity V-DAC Owners?
Mar 26, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #736 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'm kind of biased in favor of a tube sound, so YMMV.
wink.gif
I think the V-Dac is in fact often perceived as a warmer dac, but I don't really hear it that way because it sounds pretty even and balanced to me, with good detail. I didn't like it all with the SS c-2c amp, but I didn't really like that amp itself, so maybe it was more the amp than the pairing. I use it with an SS now, but it's a tubier sounding SS, and I actually find it pretty lush with this set up. So maybe a lot depends on equipment synergy, as is so often the case.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good to know, I was just looking at the V-DAC and C-2C combo for my D5000... back to the drawing board I guess.

Actually you did have positive things to say about it back on 11/4/2009, what changed? Or is this purely a synergy thing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh right - obviously they are inputs.
beyersmile.png

Just a quick note before I run off, as things get a little clearer.

After a quick session I have to say that the C-2C absolutely crushes the shanling in classical, no contest. The differences are becoming more apparent as I make my way to some other genres. It's not that that the PH100 sounds bad - quite the contrary - but switch to the C-2C with these acoustic genres and it's a whole 'nother league. I had that sense last night with the REM and Steely Dan, and that was definitely confirmed tonight with the classical even more obviously.

I listened to a few Bach Brandenburgs (1, 4, 6, Trevor Pinnock), Copland Appalachian Spring and Rodeo (Bernstein, NYPO), Gershwin, Rhapsody in Blue (Bernstein, Columbia SO), and some bits of Mozart Requiem (Harnoncourt). I also listened to So What, Freddie Freeloader and All Blues from Kind of Blue (all jazz and classical encoded to flac). I preferred all of it on the C-2C.

So it's becoming clear that the C-2C is technically the "superior" amp, (meaning from that 'audiophile' neutrality perspective, etc.) though it's a little difficult to talk in these terms b/c I don't want to seem like I'm bashing the shanling, which I'm definitely not. The PH100 sounds great with everything so far. It's just that the C-2C is hands down better for acoustic music.

With the shanling, for example, Copland sounded great: rich, dynamic, nice fullness and heft, delicate where it needed to be. But with the C-2C, it's a completely different experience. It's like I'm literally standing at the Grand Canyon looking around at the expanse. Everything widens out and just sounds amazingly spacious and alive.

Which is strange, because it's exactly the opposite with downbeat, chill, some electronica, etc.: the PH100 really brings that to life in a way the C-2C can't match. It's "too neutral" and you lose some of the immediacy, life and drive of the music. The C-2C makes you want to sit back and listen, the PH100 makes you want to move and get into it.

that's it for now - next up, some alt and classic rock, and then probably back to more electronica to reassess that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #739 of 887
Did you sell your V-DAC?. (it didn't appear in your signature). it would be good to known as it compare with that DAC...
Quote:

Originally Posted by mteinum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in
beerchug.gif

Will be fun to see how this stands up to the Benchmark DAC1

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #741 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you sell your V-DAC?. (it didn't appear in your signature). it would be good to known as it compare with that DAC...

Sorry, forgot to update the signature
wink.gif

The V-DAC is a keeper. I will upgrade the power by using the PSU from KingRex and then a new KingRex SLAP! is on the way for the T20 amp.

My head-amp setup is in the living room, and I will try the V-DAC here to see how it performs.

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #742 of 887
Ok, that is very nice
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mteinum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, forgot to update the signature
wink.gif

The V-DAC is a keeper. I will upgrade the power by using the PSU from KingRex and then a new KingRex SLAP! is on the way for the T20 amp.

My head-amp setup is in the living room, and I will try the V-DAC here to see how it performs.

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #743 of 887
i have to say v-dac underperforms to my ultra micro dac w/astrodyn PSU by a large gap.

maybe it will perform better with little pinkie which is another 110pounds.

less detailed in the upper range, not as dynamic, bass not as deep, just lags in almost every aspect than ultra micro dac. but by looking at the prices, v-dac probably did its job.dat's all i can say.

anybody interested buying my v-dac? it's an exdemo unit when i purchased it which means probably burnt in? not sure, it just sounded like a brand new unit. not happy....

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #744 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, that is very nice
wink.gif

Thanks!

And today the SLAP! arrived! It did work and now its up for a 24h charge.

I'm waiting for a 1.3mm to 2.1mm DC cable, and with that the V-DAC will be upgraded with linear power. That will be very exciting.

smile.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #745 of 887
Just received my V-DAC yesterday. It sounds fantastic and I'd be so happy about my purchase if only the ac adapter would stop humming! Although the stock adapter is universally panned I haven't read anyone complaining about a humming issue.

Anyway I've bought the unit from UK and returning it would be too much of a hassle, I'm wondering if there's any cheap solution available? A eHow guide says a surge protector or power conditioner could potentially kill off the buzz, is there any truth to that?

Apr 20, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #746 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotmath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received my V-DAC yesterday. It sounds fantastic and I'd be so happy about my purchase if only the ac adapter would stop humming! Although the stock adapter is universally panned I haven't read anyone complaining about a humming issue.

Anyway I've bought the unit from UK and returning it would be too much of a hassle, I'm wondering if there's any cheap solution available? A eHow guide says a surge protector or power conditioner could potentially kill off the buzz, is there any truth to that?

Hi hotmath, yes there is some truth to that. It could be a ground loop issue. Try plugging it into a surge protector along with the rest of your gear. Everything should be plugged into the same power source. I'm pretty sure that will do the trick.

Apr 21, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #747 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi hotmath, yes there is some truth to that. It could be a ground loop issue. Try plugging it into a surge protector along with the rest of your gear. Everything should be plugged into the same power source. I'm pretty sure that will do the trick.

Thanks for the tip! I came home late tonight and found the adapter wasn't humming. So it must had something to do with the grid condition here during the peak hours. Ordered a surge protector, hope it'll fix the problem when it arrives.

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #748 of 887
Out of sheer boredom (still awaiting on my amp and surge protector to arrive), I decide to dig up a RCA->minijack cable and connect my headphones directly to V-DAC. To my surprise V-DAC drove my phones really loud and I had turn down the volume in Foobar to around -20db to get a listenable volume.

Have to say it drove K702 much better than my cheap Bravo (V2 with stock tube), in addition to a much clearer sound (which's to be expected from kicking the headamp out of the path) the bass was also much deeper and better controlled. When playing Jakob Dylan's new CD (Women + Country, the bassist record i've ever heard!), I was actually worrying the amount of bass may damage my yet-to-be-burnt-in phone. Oh, it drove my SRH840 quite well too, although the Shure is ultra-efficient and not hard to drive.

My proper amp should arrive right after the long Anzac day weekend. It isn't exactly cheap (about twice the price of a V-DAC) and I sure hope it'll improve the sound! With my past speakers setups I generally spent more money on the amp than on speakers or the source. After hearing how loud V-DAC can drive my phones and realizing any amp will have to output a weaker signal than the input from V-DAC, I begun to think I was foolish to carry my old mindset (biggest chunk of money on the amp) to the world of headphones. Guess I'll know my answer soon.

Enough of my ramblings. I'm curious to know if anyone else here has tried to drive their headphones directly from V-DAC and how did it compare to their head amps?

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #749 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know how the VDac compares to ibasso dacs like D4 or D10?

Would like to repeat this question as I have heard the D4 and D10 and am looking for a point of reference.

I don't know if this was answered earlier in this thread as I haven't read all 50 pages yet, but if someone can give a comparison please do.

May 1, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #750 of 887
Hi all,

A couple of months ago I've purchased and modded a V-DAC. I've basically done all the advised mods (especially I've followed Spore's advice; so basically replacing a lot of the caps for Elna/Wima, LME49749 49860, end caps 47uF).

Initially I thought it lacked a bit of bass, but I put that down to my amplifier which was rather sub par. In the mean time I've bought and modded a Sure 2x100 amp (no headphones, sorry) and I still find that I think it's a bit too "clear" and lacks a bit of bass. Any tips or ideas; things I can mod/change/play with to improve the situation a bit?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back