Musical Fidelity V-DAC Owners?
May 9, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #751 of 887
Ok this is pretty annoying, I've been using a Sony MDS-JE520 MD recorder as a DAC (transport is a Rega Planet 2000) for a few months and decided to 'upgrade' to the V-DAC.

I've so far put about 20 hours of music through the MF V-DAC and I have to say that it does not sound as good as the JE520, this maybe down to a lack of burn in time (I'm hoping).

The Sony has more richness with male and female vocals, has a clearer, tighter top end although bass delivery is pretty much the same, the comparison was made using an MF XCAN-V3 with a pair of AKG K601's.

Surely a £150 24/192 MF product should sound better than £150 20/48 10 year old MD recorder?

Has anyone else tried a similar comparison, will the MF better the Sony after burn-in, I sincerely hope so.
mad.gif

May 9, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #752 of 887
EvertonMint. It is absolutely fine to not like the V-DAC and I would not want you to wish for it to become better by waiting for it to 'burn in' as it is dubious such exists. My understanding is that the Sony is considered to be a superb product. 

Realistically, sell the V-DAC and keep the Sony until you feel the need to try another product.

May 9, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #753 of 887
Thanks Prog Rock Man, I suspect that you are right with this, I was initially trying to get hold of a Sony MDS-JB930 to use as a DAC as it has an even better Current Pulse DAC (has legendary status).

Maybe I should pursue this avenue again.

Having said that the MF DAC does sound pretty good for the money and has the warm sound signature I was looking for, I'll keep playing music through it and see how it goes, if it really does improve with time, I'll post the differences.

Cheers,

May 13, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #755 of 887
Just got V-DAC yesterday, nice warm sound, much better than my current udac which used as DAC for AKG K702.
It seems that this DAC brings a little bit of warmness to the cold dry K702 :D

When the power is turned on (power supply being plugged to the power socket), there is one "tick" sound from the V-DAC. And the same "tick" sound when the power is turned off.
Is this normal?

May 13, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #757 of 887
The v-dac is really not that great for pop/hip-hop, electronic, rock, etc..  Where it really shines is with acoustic/jazz, chamber, and symphonic music - basically anything with natural timbres.  It's not going to blow you away with thumping bass lines. (If you are a bass head, STAY AWAY!).  Ones determination of the VDAC's strengths, is totally dependent on one's listening tastes - it can be your best friend or your worst enemy....ie doesn't sound better than a cheap sony md dac. 

So, if you're considering the VDAC, think long and hard about your musical tastes before taking the plunge, or not. 

May 14, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #758 of 887
Indeed, the V-DAC has a very warm sound signature and does seem to lose some 'breath' around vocals compared to the DAC on a Sony MDS-JE520.

However, the V-DAC has a very wide soundstage, so as matsudaman mentions, would probably suit classical rather than pacey dance and rock.

For this reason I have returned my V-DAC (within 7 days distance selling etc) for a refund and purchased a second hand Sony MDS-JB930 to use as a DAC, let's just say that the sound difference is somewhat noticeable (about what you would expect from a top end professional piece of Sony kit).

May 15, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #759 of 887

Quote:

The v-dac is really not that great for pop/hip-hop, electronic, rock, etc..  Where it really shines is with acoustic/jazz, chamber, and symphonic music - basically anything with natural timbres.  It's not going to blow you away with thumping bass lines. (If you are a bass head, STAY AWAY!).  Ones determination of the VDAC's strengths, is totally dependent on one's listening tastes - it can be your best friend or your worst enemy....ie doesn't sound better than a cheap sony md dac. 

So, if you're considering the VDAC, think long and hard about your musical tastes before taking the plunge, or not. 

Im thinking of purchasing a V-DAC and I like rock and R&B. Would upgrading the stock ps be able to fix its problems with these genre's?

May 15, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #761 of 887

Quote:

Im thinking of purchasing a V-DAC and I like rock and R&B. Would upgrading the stock ps be able to fix its problems with these genre's?

I tried this with the Maplin PSU (VN10L), and didn't notice any difference.

May 15, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #762 of 887

No.  Upgrading the power suply (which I've done) just enhances what the V-DAC already does quite well.  The soundstage grew wider, the tonality was more fleshed out, and dynamics seemed a bit more (for lack of a better word) dynamic.  If you like rock and R&B, I would not recommend the VDAC.  It will make your music sound too sophisticated and refined - don't think you want that lol. 
Quote:

May 16, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #764 of 887

Quote:
Indeed, the V-DAC has a very warm sound signature and does seem to lose some 'breath' around vocals compared to the DAC on a Sony MDS-JE520.

Exactly the combination that I had been trying.  I ended up using the Sony as I already owned it.  Plus as a bonus it has the connections on the back and the control on the front.  A great design innovation that (are you listening MF?)

May 16, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #765 of 887

Quote:
Does it require to be connected to the wall plug if you use the usb input?

Yes, it is not designed to be powered by USB alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back