Musical Fidelity V-DAC Owners?
Mar 6, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #392 of 887
After a look around the thread I saw some mentions to the PSU
redface.gif

As far as current is related: as I said I just measured a bit under 300mA: this is 0'3Ah/hour, so you do not need a big battery at all (if said battery is in good shape...).

I will revise as soon as I am able to do it, but if memory serves the first regulator inside the V-DAC and after just a safety diode (to avoid reverse voltage inputs) and some capacitor was a 7809, so anything over 11V (under loead) will work. Some people stated the original PSU provided by MF measures up to 19V... not under load I hope
ph34r.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #393 of 887
Ok I can confirm we have here a safety diode (so around 0'6V loss) and a 7809 pre-regulator. We can feed the V-DAC with 11V or more and it will work nice.

Btw there is an input cap of 16V rating: it will be NO wise to feed it with over 15V (loaded) power sources unless we want to see some fireworks... I must say I have not used the original MF psu because mine does have UK-style plug on a Shuko-continental EU home (so I cannot know V under the V-DAC load, my guess is around 13V max).

Mar 6, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #394 of 887
anyone got the illusive v-psu yet?

how do you spell illusive? dont look right

Mar 7, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #395 of 887
The lady at MF said that they do not have a definite release date for V-PSU... and that they haven't fully decided if they are going ahead with it...

As far as MF tuning / upgrade is concerned, I was told that you can do it pretty much for any one of MF products (discontinued ones as well) apart from VDAC. VDAC must be such a refined product then...

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #396 of 887
I don't mean to kill any discussions---but I could slice the bass up right now and serve it for thanksgiving!

The-Perfect-Thanksgiving-Setting_featured_article_628x371.jpg

Go! V-DAC!

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #397 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mean to kill any discussions---but I could slice the bass up right now and serve it for thanksgiving!

The-Perfect-Thanksgiving-Setting_featured_article_628x371.jpg

Go! V-DAC!

That turkey just doesn't look right......

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #399 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by denp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The lady at MF said that they do not have a definite release date for V-PSU... and that they haven't fully decided if they are going ahead with it...

As far as MF tuning / upgrade is concerned, I was told that you can do it pretty much for any one of MF products (discontinued ones as well) apart from VDAC. VDAC must be such a refined product then...

all the more reason to get an alternative psu, like the mascot from rs that i mentioned before!

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #400 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all the more reason to get an alternative psu, like the mascot from rs that i mentioned before!

Also, Mike (Pink Floyd) at Rock Grotto is coming out shortly with a Little Pinky V.

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #402 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by dantztiludrop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, Mike (Pink Floyd) at Rock Grotto is coming out shortly with a Little Pinky V.

at a price though.
approx 4x the cost of the mascot!
it is another option though.

Mar 8, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #403 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
at a price though.
approx 4x the cost of the mascot!
it is another option though.

What is your experience with the mascot then? Or did you order it in Kazachstan?
tongue.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #404 of 887
Today I have been able to play a little bit with my soldering iron on the V-DAC (I had to do a multiregion chip for my BluRay player so...
redface.gif
).

Out go the input cap and three regulated rail caps (+- analog, +5 digital) for some Elna Silimc and Sanyo OsCon I had around, out go too the input diode (ferrite bridge instead), and out go the original 5532 opamp.

After rolling some alternative opamps (a better spec 5532 than the JRC original just to see, opa627 and lm6172) and with very subtile differences noticed (maybe I am deaf after all
confused_face(1).gif
), I choose to let a opa2604 for its detailed but warm sound (not night and day I must say however).

Anyway I now can find more differences between it and my modded Yulong DAH, when before it was a bit hard to describe, and all of them for the better to the MF unit. There is more air, more detail, vocals less 'splashy', bass has better definition: no doubt now the MF works better than the chinese unit, used as USB DACs and IMHO off course.

Mar 8, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #405 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calvin&Hobbes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your experience with the mascot then? Or did you order it in Kazachstan?
tongue.gif

my bro is getting it for me through his company. trouble is he keeps forgetting!
i am led to believe RS only sell "business to business", otherwise i would go get it myself.
also getting a 24v unit for my solo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back