Musical Fidelity V-DAC Owners?
Mar 8, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #406 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by josep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today I have been able to play a little bit with my soldering iron on the V-DAC (I had to do a multiregion chip for my BluRay player so...
redface.gif
).

Out go the input cap and three regulated rail caps (+- analog, +5 digital) for some Elna Silimc and Sanyo OsCon I had around, out go too the input diode (ferrite bridge instead), and out go the original 5532 opamp.

After rolling some alternative opamps (a better spec 5532 than the JRC original just to see, opa627 and lm6172) and with very subtile differences noticed (maybe I am deaf after all
confused_face(1).gif
), I choose to let a opa2604 for its detailed but warm sound (not night and day I must say however).

Anyway I now can find more differences between it and my modded Yulong DAH, when before it was a bit hard to describe, and all of them for the better to the MF unit. There is more air, more detail, vocals less 'splashy', bass has better definition: no doubt now the MF works better than the chinese unit, used as USB DACs and IMHO off course.

WE WANT PICTURES! PLEASE!

Mar 8, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #407 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
at a price though.
approx 4x the cost of the mascot!
it is another option though.

This is true. If the mascot performs even just reasonably well, it will still be a very good "bang for the buck" deal.

On the other side of things though, comparing Little Pinky to Musical Fidelity power supplies...the regular (X-series) Little Pinky is 1/4 the price of the X-PSU. There were folks here who were interested in & anticipating a V-PSU, but personally I'd have a difficult time paying that kind of money, especially when the Little Pinky seems to be highly regarded & gets such great reviews.

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #408 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by dantztiludrop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is true. If the mascot performs even just reasonably well, it will still be a very good "bang for the buck" deal.

On the other side of things though, comparing Little Pinky to Musical Fidelity power supplies...the regular (X-series) Little Pinky is 1/4 the price of the X-PSU. There were folks here who were interested in & anticipating a V-PSU, but personally I'd have a difficult time paying that kind of money, especially when the Little Pinky seems to be highly regarded & gets such great reviews.

As contributed earlier: Audio magazine tested the V-PSU and indicated the expected retail price just over half the price of the V-DAC (i.e. ca. 150 Euro) and thus be in the indicated price range of the Little Pinky.

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #409 of 887
I have just spoken to Musical Fidelity here in the UK, and they have shelved plans for the V DAC power supply. There are no plans at the moment for release, so no price and no date.
Sorry folks.

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #411 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by catcando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just spoken to Musical Fidelity here in the UK, and they have shelved plans for the V DAC power supply. There are no plans at the moment for release, so no price and no date.
Sorry folks.

Well I don't really consider this to be a great loss - personally I have found the V-DAC responds well to the regulated power supply I bought from Jaycar. I probably would only have wanted to have tried the V-PSU out of curiosity, rather than what I felt was a desire or infact a need to improve the sound.

Mar 10, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #412 of 887
Excuse me for jumping in like this, but can someone recommend a hifi-shop in London, easy accessible for tourists who have no idea about the city, where one can get V-DAC?

I actually intended to get a CA AZUR 740 cd-player, in order to replace my 10 years old MF Electra 60 cd-player, and to connect a MacBook on the optical inputs of AZUR 740. But reading this forum i changed my mind and decided to stay with MF, and purchase a V-DAC, also as a better option than DacMagic.
I would connect MacBook over 5m long USB cable to v-dac, which is a better solution than 5m optical TOSLINK cable with MiniTOSLINK adapter, because the latter is not recommended for sound issues. And i expect that Electra 60 cd player, which was entry lever MF player 10 years ago, starts to sound better too.
V-dac should get connected to MD X-10D, and then to to Audio Innovations 500.

Mar 10, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #413 of 887
Using the V-Dac via toslink from macbook pro and have tried usb and optical and the sound is the same to me. When you mention sound issues related to toslink are you concerned due to the length of the run? Haven't heard much about sound degradation with toslink adapter or optical. Using 32 bit versus 16bit with optical versus usb.

Sorry can't recommend a shop in London.

Mar 10, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #414 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by iszatso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using the V-Dac via toslink from macbook pro and have tried usb and optical and the sound is the same to me. When you mention sound issues related to toslink are you concerned due to the length of the run? Haven't heard much about sound degradation with toslink adapter or optical. Using 32 bit versus 16bit with optical versus usb.

Sorry can't recommend a shop in London.

yes, i am relating to the length of the cable. i could read on some hifi-pages that they recommend TOSLINK up to 2m, and that additional adapters, such as MinitTOSLINK adapter, can also contribute to the degradation of the optical signal. according to them, it depends how good the source is.
but thats good news to hear about usb, because usb would be more practical to use, when removing and plugging it in-i don't plan to listen to themusic all the time over MacBook.

what's your opinion about Macbook-over-V-DAC sound? playing mp3s vs. when lossless files?

Mar 10, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #415 of 887
Hi again,
Sorry but I am quite out of time this days, so no pics (still) of my (softly) modded V-DAC. But I had time for a quick test, with the MF plugged into my main system: G08 (as a transport it sends 88'2 data from CDs), Bent Audio transformer (S&B) passive preamp, Krell power amp and BW 802D speakers. I must say the V-DAC looked (yups...sorry, sounded) perfectly in place. I had not try it before so no idea of how my mods bettered (or otherwise) it, but... this DAC is quite decent!

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #416 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excuse me for jumping in like this, but can someone recommend a hifi-shop in London, easy accessible for tourists who have no idea about the city, where one can get V-DAC?

try
My Audio Design
First Floor
35 Whitehall
London
SW1A 2BX
Phone number 02078398880
E-mail address admin@madengland.com

best deal in UK (mail order or travel to Birmingham)
Audio Affair
Audio Affair
3 Gibb Street
Custard Factory
Birmingham
B9 4AA

VDAC for GBP149

Mar 11, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #418 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by denp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try
My Audio Design
First Floor
35 Whitehall
London
SW1A 2BX
Phone number 02078398880
E-mail address admin@madengland.com

best deal in UK (mail order or travel to Birmingham)
Audio Affair
Audio Affair
3 Gibb Street
Custard Factory
Birmingham
B9 4AA

VDAC for GBP149

wow! thanx a lot! that is exactly what i was looking for.

did anyone try v-dac with x10-d?

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #419 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow! thanx a lot! that is exactly what i was looking for.

did anyone try v-dac with x10-d?

Yes, I currently listen to the v-dac through the x-10 v3 and I think that it's a helluva combo. The x-10 seems to give the v-dac increased soundstaging and fluidity. I've listened without and can't really go without the x-10.

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #420 of 887
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I currently listen to the v-dac through the x-10 v3 and I think that it's a helluva combo. The x-10 seems to give the v-dac increased soundstaging and fluidity. I've listened without and can't really go without the x-10.

Sorry for my ignorance, what does the x-10 v3 do? Is it a dedicated PSU?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back