Musical Fidelity V-Can, V-DAC, V-Link Set Up Question
Sep 17, 2011 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Audiacity

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I'm rather new to the audio game and I was hoping if some of you could help me with this:

I'm currently considering combining the V-DAC or HRT Music Streamer II  with the V-CAN as my desktop set up. Originally I thought a set up like this would suffice, but then I came across the V-Link.

So, I was wondering how do know if I need the V-Link to run an amp+dac set up? What exactly is the V-Link used for?

Thanks all!

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 6
The v link won't do you any good; you need something that can convert digital to analog for your headphone amp.  Either the HRT music streamer or the v dac will do the job and do it well.

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
The v link won't do you any good; you need something that can convert digital to analog for your headphone amp.  Either the HRT music streamer or the v dac will do the job and do it well.

So what is the point of the V-Link? I've read you use the vlink in combination with vdac and vcan.

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #4 of 6
It is a usb to spdif converter and is designed to reduce jitter and it is asynchronous.  Some people think those are really cool features and it enhances the SQ.  I believe in as few boxes as possible.  In any case, musical fidelity is coming out with a v dac II that does pretty much does what the v link + old v dac combo does for around $350 I believe.  You can pick up the v dac now for $250 which is a good deal; I'd get one and not lose any sleep over the v link. 

Sep 27, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 6
Without the V-Link you will get 16 bit from the V-Dac. With the V-Link added you`ll get 24 bit audio.
But as mentioned the V-Dac 2 is due out soon. And this will work out cheaper than buying both. If 24 bit audio is what you want?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back