Musical fidelity M1 HPA vs other (< $900) Amps
Aug 5, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #31 of 46
I've tried the MF with Tesla1 and I really preferred it over my Nuforce Icon HDP. It had a silent black background and a very punchy and musical feel to it. Like a cello compared to HDP's dry saxophone feel.

Would definitely consider it if HDP's connectivity wasn't so useful to me atm.

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #32 of 46
Quote:
  I read a review by steve guttenberg about this amp and he commented that he preferred it to his burson ha-160 amp.I have not heard the hp1a amp yet but I have owned a burson ha-160 amp for some time and after viewing the inner workings of the hp1a amp in a previously closed thread I try not to be prejudgemental about a component but after seeing that photograph and after viewing the inner workings of my ha-160 it is hard to believe his preference for the musical fidelity.The inner workings of the burson appear to be much more substantial and I am even more sceptical about his judgement in light of the sparsely populated circuit board in the hp1a amp.And that board also has a dac included.It would appear at least to me that musical fidelity is making a ton of money selling its amp in light of its sparcely populated circuit board at least when you compare it to the burson ha-160 amp.One look at the bursons inner workings and the solidity of the amplifier case you can see where burson puts its money.One look at the inner workings of the musical fidelity and the case work which is nowhere near as well built as the burson i wonder what the profit margin is for the musical fidelity people is at least on the hp1a amp?
 I have grado, akg, and audeze lcd2 rev2 phones and the burson sounds great with all of them.One thing though the stepped attenuator is sometimes an issue due to its very steep volume ramp up which can be problematic on some recordings making it very difficult to find the correct volume for listening.It is very frustrating at times but I am ok with it in light of the amps very reasonable price which is amazing considering the amps build quality.I have a ray samuels raptor otl amp as well and I have to say that over all that  the burson is the best amp I own.

I read, burson actually brags about having less components in their new, "better", amp. Apparently less is more :)
Also the burson is more compact than the M1 HPA.

The M1 HPA is spacey inside for two reasons, I believe:

- Design (looks)
- Anti overheating (class-A)

So I don't think MF tries to rip people off by selling an empty shell.

Not saying the M1 is better than the burson though, haven't heard it, the burson that is, I own the M1 HPA and like it very much.

Cheers!

LL

Aug 11, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

I read, burson actually brags about having less components in their new, "better", amp. Apparently less is more :)
Also the burson is more compact than the M1 HPA.

The M1 HPA is spacey inside for two reasons, I believe:

- Design (looks)
- Anti overheating (class-A)

So I don't think MF tries to rip people off by selling an empty shell.

Not saying the M1 is better than the burson though, haven't heard it, the burson that is, I own the M1 HPA and like it very much.

Cheers!

LL

M1HPA is better IMO (than the HA-160). The sound is a bit more refined. Burson also has a very bad volume attenuator (feels cheap, causes clipping in the headphones, noise etc). 

Less IS more, it's quite a natural logic really. The fewer components in the signal path the better. Can't speak for the actual quality of the components but hey I think the M1HPA is great value none the less. Can drive anything, looks nice, runs quiet, produces smooth, laid-back sound... whats not to like :)

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #34 of 46
I just recently bought a Burson and am wondering what sort of changes power cords will make based on some of the comments earlier in this thread. I would assume we are talking subtle changes here but idk, you tell me. Also if they do make such a big difference, what cords do people generally pair with them?

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #35 of 46
Quote:
I just recently bought a Burson and am wondering what sort of changes power cords will make based on some of the comments earlier in this thread. I would assume we are talking subtle changes here but idk, you tell me. Also if they do make such a big difference, what cords do people generally pair with them?

Probably not big changes. Some folks recommend getting power conditioners, for a black background on music listening. 

Sep 11, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

I have had my burson for about two years and I have tried it with several power cords.I am presently using a nordost brahma on it with great results but in light of its cost i really could not suggest it to most people.It does cost more than the amp even at its close out price that I obtained it at.But if you are looking for a good power cord that is very reasonably priced may I suggest the power cord the emotiva people sell on their website (emotiva.com) I purchased several of them in a two meter length for just $69.99 each.I found them to work quite well on all my amps and cd players.I feel it was one of the best power cords for the price.It replaced a much more expensive power cable in my set up and worked better in my system.You might try one I believe they have a 30 day trial period for their products and emotiva sells its mechandise direct to the public to keep costs down.I hope this helps.

May 14, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #38 of 46
Quote:
As an ex-owner of both the Burson and the MF, I can say that 90% of the time I preferred the MF - by quite a margin. The Burson could be amazing - but only when it was paired with the right cans and $2k worth of power cables and i/c. The MF is much less fussy and gave a great performance all the time, no matter what source, cable or cans used.

The Burson was a curious thing - amazing build quality, huge potential - but unless you spend a fortune on the kit you use with it, it just didnt work out for me. I have never used an amp more sensitive to power cables than this - night and day difference depending on which one used.

What cans do you intend to use most of the time? 

I'd buy the MF again if i was in that ball park. Just my thoughts, i'm sure plenty will disagree, but it's all subjective isn't it? (I didn't get on with LCD-2's either !)

Cheers, Lee

The internal of MF HPA is one of the most "bare bones" among amps of this price point. That's what is keeping me from spending that money

May 14, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #39 of 46
Quote:
As an ex-owner of both the Burson and the MF, I can say that 90% of the time I preferred the MF - by quite a margin. The Burson could be amazing - but only when it was paired with the right cans and $2k worth of power cables and i/c. The MF is much less fussy and gave a great performance all the time, no matter what source, cable or cans used.

The Burson was a curious thing - amazing build quality, huge potential - but unless you spend a fortune on the kit you use with it, it just didnt work out for me. I have never used an amp more sensitive to power cables than this - night and day difference depending on which one used.

What cans do you intend to use most of the time? 

I'd buy the MF again if i was in that ball park. Just my thoughts, i'm sure plenty will disagree, but it's all subjective isn't it? (I didn't get on with LCD-2's either !)

Cheers, Lee

The internal of MF HPA is one of the most "bare bones" among amps of this price point. That's what is keeping me from spending that money

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #40 of 46

Well, it looks bare bone because the components are spread out. Put the components of the M1 into a small package like the Lehmann, and it will look like its packed up to the point where there's no air in the case....and on the other hand, take something like a Lehmann and put it in the case the size of an M1, and it will look completely empty.

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #42 of 46
Can I ask if anyone has tried plugging an iphone 5s into this amp via the USB? I ask because I know some dac have been 'unexpectedly' found to work with the ios7 iPhones. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back