Music you are ashamed to love.
Aug 18, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #61 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oberst Oswald /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yanni
Hank Williams Sr.

O.K., I can see why Yanni would be a guilty pleasure (not mine, though). He's certainly a talented musician, but the cheese factor is way up there.

But Hank Williams Sr.? He is without doubt one of the greatest American musicians of all time. His kid is a horror story. Him I could see as a guilty pleasure, especially if you're, you know...ready for some football. But Sr.? Never.

Aug 18, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #62 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would be a second generation guilty pleasure. The original was by Tommy James and the Shondells, who played bubblegum rock during the same years that rock was getting unbearably self-important and self-consciously artsy. So lots of people of a certain age would never have admitted to listening to TJ at the time, but in retrospect they will sheepishly admit to loving his stuff. His other two biggies were "I Think We're Alone Now" and "Crystal Blue Persuason." The latter was a great rock ballad, but decidedly un-bubblegummy. The lyrics refer to his struggle with meth addiction.

For some reason I've never thought of Tommy James as bubblegum, but I also don't automatically connect him to "I Think We're Alone Now." For me, his music is more soul-lite, as evidenced by "Crystal Blue Persuasion" and his other huuuugggggee hit: "Crimson and Clover." Over and over…
normal_smile .gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #64 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some reason I've never thought of Tommy James as bubblegum, but I also don't automatically connect him to "I Think We're Alone Now." For me, his music is more soul-lite, as evidenced by "Crystal Blue Persuasion" and his other huuuugggggee hit: "Crimson and Clover." Over and over…
normal_smile .gif

Wow! How could I have left that one out! Bad Benway! Bad!

Love Joan Jett's cover of "Crimson and Clover." She goes for extra crunchy on the guit riff, and that's perfect. Come to think of it, I just love Joanie, period. Ever since I was sixteen and she was in the Runaways and I was scared of her (in a very, very good way).

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #66 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by salsadj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
zamfir
eek.gif

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Humm, actually I was re-introduced to Zamfir due to his contribution to the "Kill Bill" soundtrack. Cool. Uma.

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #67 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palantiri7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Humm, actually I was re-introduced to Zamfir due to his contribution to the "Kill Bill" soundtrack. Cool. Uma.

Didn't he also play on Morricone's soundtrack for "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly?" That stuff gives me goosebumps.

Aug 22, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #69 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palantiri7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If he did, I have new-found respect.
redface.gif

Apparantly, I was wrong. But for what it's worth, this is an excerpt from his AllMusic Guide bio:

Additionally, he scored several films — most notably 1975's Picnic at Hanging Rock, directed by Australia's Peter Weir — and had a European hit in 1979 with the theme from the Dutch film Der Verlaten Mijn, a collaboration with arranger James Last. [...] He played on much of Bill Conti's score for The Karate Kid in 1984, and that year also performed the theme for Sergio Leone's Once Upon a Time in America.

Aug 22, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #70 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kylie Minogue's last three albums.
The epitomy of glitzy pop. Love them...
tongue_smile.gif

I have much respect for Kylie she has proven herself time and time again! And she looks good
L3000.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #71 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by edart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And she looks good
L3000.gif

That would be an understatement. I don't want to seem patronizing; I like her music as well. "Can't Get You Out of My Head" threw me for a loop. She rocks.

Aug 22, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #72 of 89
When I was a kid my Auntie Jae played a Monkees record for me (mono pressing) on my grandparent's Philco B&W tv phono console. She told me that the Monkees were the greatest group in the world. I believed her. And I'm still a closet Monkees fan. Oh, I must also add, I'm a fan of Adam Ant too. "Ant music for ant people!"

On a happier note, I really can't stand ABBA (for very long, that is).

Aug 22, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #73 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I was a kid my Auntie Jae played a Monkees record for me (mono pressing) on my grandparent's Philco B&W tv phono console. She told me that the Monkees were the greatest group in the world. I believed her. And I'm still a closet Monkees fan. Oh, I must also add, I'm a fan of Adam Ant too. "Ant music for ant people!"

On a happier note, I really can't stand ABBA (for very long, that is).

Well, I'm with you on ABBA, except that I can't stand them even for a second. Adam Ant, not for a microsecond.

But the Monkees? Lousy concept, great product. How bad can it be when you have Carole King, Neil Diamond, and Steven Stills writing the songs? And the cream of LA sesion musicians playing the instruments.

In a certain way, the Monkees are guilty of causing the cancer we call Justin Timberlake, but, on the other hand, the records speak for themselves decades later. Decades from now, people will be using Justin Timberlake records for firewood.

Aug 22, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #74 of 89
Ottar Liebert.

There. I've said it. I feel so much better now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back