Music you are ashamed to love.
Aug 24, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #76 of 89
Oh geez, I'm listening to 'Nouveau Flamenco', Ottmar Liebert, right now.
wink.gif

Aug 30, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #77 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Andy Williams

I remember him from his TV show - which my mother always picked to watch. After a while of taking his voice for granted as he sang one popular ballad after another, I realized just how beautiful and controlled his voice was when I heard him sing "Ave Maria" on a Christmas special. And his signature, "Moon River", is such a classic from the famous crooners of that vintage. What I still admire about his performance is that it was capable of such real vocal beauty and portrayal of feeling, which, to me, seemed credible & approachable (as distinguished from overdone & cheesey). He's a great example of a memorably gifted and accomplished popular vocal performer.

Aug 30, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #78 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember him from his TV show - which my mother always picked to watch. After a while of taking his voice for granted as he sang one popular ballad after another, I realized just how beautiful and controlled his voice was when I heard him sing "Ave Maria" on a Christmas special. And his signature, "Moon River", is such a classic from the famous crooners of that vintage. What I still admire about his performance is that it was capable of such real vocal beauty and portrayal of feeling, which, to me, seemed credible & approachable (as distinguished from overdone & cheesey). He's a great example of a memorably gifted and accomplished popular vocal performer.

I also remember that show (dimly) from my childhood. As I recall it was a variety format, with other singers, comedy sketches, etc. He really did have a great voice. That was really "pop" music in the old-school sense; others that I remember hearing are Perry Como, Bing Crosby and, of course, Sinatra.

Aug 30, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #79 of 89
Actually, I haven't a clue as to what you're talking about. For me, the idea of being ashamed of whatever music you enjoy is truly absurd, and it makes me worry that those who are in-fact actually ashamed clearly care too much about what others may think of them and their listening habits.

Sep 12, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #82 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permaximum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cat Stevens.... He sticks out a bit in my library

No shame there!

Mine would have to be [size=xx-large]Pink Floyd![/size]

I'm ashamed to even like Pink Floyd, given that so many people here at Head-Fi make love them so much.

The Beatles would get my vote for the group that I'm ashamed that so many Head-Fi'er don't love!

Ahh, don't get me started.

Sep 12, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #84 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beatles would get my vote for the group that I'm ashamed that so many Head-Fi'er don't love!

Ahh, don't get me started.

LOL at Head-Fi'ers that dont like The Beatles.
dt880smile.png

Sep 13, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #85 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by scott_d_m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely no shame there. Cat Stevens is a very fine singer/songwriter.

He sure is. How many people realize that he wrote "The First Cut is The Deepest?" And a very good singer, too. His recording of the Calvinist hymn "Morning Has Broken" is absolutely beautiful. And while his cover of Sam Cooke's "Another Saturday Night" doesn't threaten the original, it is a fresh take on a great song.

Quote:

Originally Posted by edart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL at Head-Fi'ers that dont like The Beatles.
dt880smile.png

Younger people tend to reject what previous generations listened to, no matter how good it is. You don't see much discussion among younger members around here of anything earlier than the 70s.

I've always been strange that way. In college in the late 70s/early 80s, I was listening to current rock and R&B, but I was also collecting rockabilly and doowop records. It's sad that the general disposability of our culture renders so much great music unfashionable.

And in my world, the Beatles were the greatest rock band of all time, despite the fact that I didn't own any of their records until after they broke up.

Sep 13, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #86 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Younger people tend to reject what previous generations listened to, no matter how good it is. You don't see much discussion among younger members around here of anything earlier than the 70s.

I very much disagree with this. If anything, I find the majority of youth ignorantly reject music from the past several years, yet seem to believe that everything pre-1980 is of some godlike status.

Sep 13, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #87 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He sure is. How many people realize that he wrote "The First Cut is The Deepest?" And a very good singer, too. His recording of the Calvinist hymn "Morning Has Broken" is absolutely beautiful. And while his cover of Sam Cooke's "Another Saturday Night" doesn't threaten the original, it is a fresh take on a great song.

One song that stands out for me is "Where Will the Children Play". A song about globalization, it is still very relevant today, maybe even more so than when he wrote it.

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #89 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poohblah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe feist... but mostly Andrew Bird's Bowl Of Fire... gotta have my sleazy jazz
smily_headphones1.gif

oh and a tiny bit of michael jackson

I love all three of these guilt free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back