Music with high quality recording
Jul 6, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #47 of 74
Divergeunify wrote:
Quote:
Just keep listening to them.  Don't see what there is to try to "get" to them. Which albums have you listened to?

well, that's the question. How much to "keep listening".  I understand that repeated listens reveal artists that single-listens don't.  Plenty of records have grown on me.  I'm a middle aged dude with a huge collection, so I understand all that shifting-relationship-with-albums stuff.  At some point you have to stop trying to hear what's special about someone and just listen to what is special, elsewhere. But knowing when that point has been reached isn't always easy.

Which I have listened to -- I have most all of 'em. Don't reach for them too often.  Gone through periods where I really did listen to The Bends, OK Computer, Kid-A, and In Rainbows (special edition -- which matters, because "Go Slowly" is one of my favorites, really love that tune, and it's only on the second disk).  Much less so HTT or Amnesiac, and pretty much not at all from the first record (which is the only one I don't own in some form or other).

I suppose "get" is really ambiguous, or means too many things.  In part it means they don't move me as much as they seem to lots of other people who have generally similar tastes and interests. IN part it means I don't understand what a critic such as Alex Ross is hearing when he describes how groundbreaking they are, or a musician such as Mike Keneally (whom I admire WAY more than Radiohead) talks about them in such glowing terms.  I don't hear what they hear.  Definitely people I have had guide me to new music, and greater appreciations of old music. There are other examples.

PJ Harvey calling Thom Yorke her "favorite singer".  That really surprises me, too.  I "don't get it".  I like  him on her record, I like him sometimes.  Sometimes a lot less, depending largely one how long he holds notes in his melodies, I suppose. (anyway, that's another one... I LOVE her record "Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea". I like Yorke on it, when he's singing duets with her, even.  Much more than I like Radionhead records).

Jul 9, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #49 of 74
Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind

Wonderful, uncompressed, dynamic sound. Quiets are very quiet, louds are beautifully loud. Plus it's great music to boot.

Jul 11, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #50 of 74
Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - Facing Future

Jul 11, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #51 of 74

Quote:
Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - Facing Future

A damn good album!
beerchug.gif

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #53 of 74
Regarding good sounding recordings of Radiohead's OK Computer...

Quote:

The new vinyl re-issue from Capitol sounds quite nice. The original first pressing of OK Computer is supposed to be the best. The catalog number is[size=x-small][size=10pt] [/size][size=10pt]7243 8 55229 2 5. I'm sure you can find it on ebay. [/size][/size]

Just today, I noticed that is the CD version I have.  Now I want to borrow a friend's to compare. Silly of me to take so long to notice...  I've been re-reading postings on the Radiohead thread and thinking about the issues brought up by the "great recordings that you don't see as great" thread.

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #54 of 74
Vaya Con Dios - Night Owls      Great performance and recording

Jul 24, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #55 of 74
Here’s a couple of great recordings of the “late night, lights out, headphone listening” variety:

Laurie Anderson – Bright Red
Intelligent, New York performing artist speak-sings her way over an atmospheric, spooky, ambient Brian Eno backdrop. Musically, I’d go for one of her older classics like Big Science. But for something completely different and top notch SQ, Bright Red is the real deal.

Lambchop – Is a Woman
Intelligent, downbeat, sad bloke speak-sings his way over tasteful, sometimes orchestral, backdrop. Incredibly clear vocals and lush, “analogue” sound. This is the second Lambchop entry in this thread and, from memory, his Ohio album sounded pretty good too, so here’s an artist who seems to really care about SQ.  

Aug 15, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #56 of 74
Loreena McKennitt: The Book of Secrets

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #57 of 74
Nirvana's Unplugged and Gould's Goldberg Variations are two of my favourites for testing out new headphones 'cause there's so much detail that can get lost with speakers/crappy headphones.

Modest Mouse's This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About and Keith Jarrett's Standards In Norway do it for me too..

Sep 25, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #58 of 74

Really nicely remastered.

Sep 26, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #59 of 74
Dead Can Dance: MoFi remasters (actually found these at my local Barnes & Noble)
Eric Clapton: Unplugged
Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler
Porcupine Tree
Tom Waits: Mule Variations

Sep 26, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #60 of 74

Quote:
Dead Can Dance: MoFi remasters (actually found these at my local Barnes & Noble)
Eric Clapton: Unplugged
Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler
Porcupine Tree
Tom Waits: Mule Variations

I can't find Dead Can Dance on MoFi. What are the catalog numbers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back