Music That Puts You To Sleep
Jan 25, 2002 at 1:05 AM Post #46 of 96
Quote:

Originally posted by sideswiped
don't know if anyone has mentioned him or not, but just about any nick drake cd is super mellow and nice to fall alseep to

yup it is!
love the sig >>> ))sideswiped)).

Feb 25, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #49 of 96
my favorite nap cd of all time is:

pedro the lion - it's hard to find a friend

i'd usually program the player and kill off the track "big trucks" though, it's the only slightly upbeat song on the record. it's gotten to the point now, that when i first hear the opening ten seconds of that album, my eyes start to get very droopy..

Feb 25, 2002 at 11:34 PM Post #50 of 96
I dunno if I recommended this one before, but recomending it twice is no waste anyway:

Diana Krall - Only Trust Your Heart

I looove that voice! smooth music too.

.. is you is or is you ain't my baby
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #51 of 96
I knew someone would suggest Vangelis, and J M Jarre. I also like the Hope Sandoval vote. Diana Krall is a winner too. Another fabulous vocalist is early (not as raspy) Nina Persson on The Cardigans. Her voice is just so soft and fluffy like my pillow on songs like Celia Inside, Last Song, and pretty much anything else on that first album. The Verve EP is THE ultimate bedtime cd for me. Mercury Rev's title track for All Is Dream is a masterpiece for this purpose, even with the Immigrant Song drums. Hmmm, the Stone Roses debut is a great one for the vocals, and playful guitar.

Sorry if I keep mentioning the same albums in all my threads, but they're my favorites for so many reasons.

This is a great thread because I do most of my listening at bedtime. I'd love to see more suggestions!

Feb 26, 2002 at 6:23 AM Post #52 of 96
Hotel California from the Hell Freezes Over album. The sound quality is great, and is sooooo much more relaxing than the greastest hits cd version. By the time the song is over, I'm usually sleeping.

Mar 3, 2002 at 8:07 AM Post #53 of 96
I have found that I fall asleep faster when listening to instrumentals than when listening to vocals.

Mar 3, 2002 at 10:12 AM Post #54 of 96
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
I dunno if I recommended this one before, but recomending it twice is no waste anyway:

Diana Krall - Only Trust Your Heart

I looove that voice! smooth music too.

.. is you is or is you ain't my baby
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, this could put you to sleep in a reasonably good frame of mind, her new album pales in comparison... well let's say... it's more coma inducing
eek.gif

Mar 3, 2002 at 6:46 PM Post #55 of 96
ok, some consider this music to be kinda strange, but most people really like it after listening to it. it is pretty good for falling asleep to too:

Godspeed You Black Emperor! -- "Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada"

It is mostly instrumental, and will 'take you away from the world' pretty easily, allowing you to fall asleep.

if nothing else, it'l expand your music collection/tastes a little.
wink.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2002 at 11:57 PM Post #56 of 96
Quote:

Originally posted by NathanJM
ok, some consider this music to be kinda strange, but most people really like it after listening to it. it is pretty good for falling asleep to too:

Godspeed You Black Emperor! -- "Slow Rock for New Zero Kanada"

It is mostly instrumental, and will 'take you away from the world' pretty easily, allowing you to fall asleep.

if nothing else, it'l expand your music collection/tastes a little.
wink.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

... and have nice nightmares........
very_evil_smiley.gif

Well, I have Lift yr. Skinny Fists like Antennas to Heaven and F#A# (Infinity), and must admit I wouldn't use these two GYBE albums to fall asleep...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Just kidding in some way, this is a great stuff indeed.

Mar 5, 2002 at 12:51 AM Post #57 of 96
Quote:

Originally posted by Demetrio

... and have nice nightmares........
very_evil_smiley.gif

Well, I have Lift yr. Skinny Fists like Antennas to Heaven and F#A# (Infinity), and must admit I wouldn't use these two GYBE albums to fall asleep...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Just kidding in some way, this is a great stuff indeed.

ahhhh....its all coming together now.....
wink.gif

actually, the album has a slightly different tone from the other 2.
I agree with you that i would probably never fall asleep to Lift Your Skinny Little Fists Like Antennas to Heaven, but I havent listened to F#A#(infinity) yet.

Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada is a little more, well, different from the others. The first track, Moya, is probably my favorite. If you 'realease yourself' to the music, it *will* clear your mind from whatever it is thats bothering you, freeing your mind to get that much-needed rest. well, it does for me anyway. but, then again.....
wink.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2002 at 1:58 AM Post #58 of 96
My alltime favorite ambient 'music you can fall asleep to' band is Stars of the Lid. Very relaxed, guitar drone laden music. Their latest album 'The Tired Sounds of Stars of The Lid' is a double disc album that flows along at a nice molasses on a cold winter's day kind of pace, very dreamy and atmospheric. Two thumbs up!
If you like Aphex Twin's ambient stuff, Eno, Thaemlitz, GYBE, it is probable you'll dig these guys.

http://www.brainwashed.com/sotl/

Mar 5, 2002 at 7:19 AM Post #59 of 96
Hey Demetrio, I just relistened to Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada and it is more in line with F# A# (infinity) than Lift Your Skinny Fists..., although a little bit less monotonous and droning...hmm, that came out wrong, sounds like a bad thing...oh, well, don't know how to fix it, other than to say that F# A# (infinity) is still my favourite of the three, and that's saying something, because I really like all three of them. Especially Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada, which I'm going to have to revisit more often.

Mar 5, 2002 at 6:03 PM Post #60 of 96
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Skinny Puppy - Too Dark Park (I kid you not -- have fallen asleep to this several times).

This reminds me of the time my freshman year of college, I put on Husker Du's Zen Arcade extremely loud, and my roomate came in from class, and had to yell to wake me up.. I must been in some kind of Mould-shredding-guitar-induced-trance!
rolleyes.gif

-jar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back