Music That Puts You To Sleep
Sep 9, 2002 at 8:28 AM Post #91 of 96
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
What I need to fall asleep: No beat, chordal or melodic content whatsoever. Pole would be perfect, if it weren't for the recognizable bass lines.

A kind of down mood is good, too -- something that makes me picture rotting dolls with shriveled apricot heads rubbing their sockets, or a corpse coffining down until the cobwebs form. I'm not looking for depressing down, just nothing-worth-staying-awake-for, welcome-to-the-hibernation-room, dear-dead-days down. That's what I like.

Some of Lustmord's releases sound right up your alley - "Heresey" in particular
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt

I have a friend who finds Multila scary, but I don't think most people would have that reaction. Then again, she cuts herself, so life is probably more scary for her than it is for most people. Still, if Samuel Beckett makes you feel suicidal, you might want to listen to Multila before buying.

I have a friend who tends to stop breathing while listening to Vladislav Delay!

Sep 9, 2002 at 6:35 PM Post #92 of 96
Joe Satriani - Engines of Creation.

By far my fav CD to fall asleep to. (its also out in SACD for all you rich F00Ks out there
tongue.gif
) The soundstage will make you dream about celestial bodies in a clean, 60" HDTV kind of way.

Oct 2, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #94 of 96
Let me go ahead and gravedig this thread because really I've been into music being played while sleeping or before sleeping as of late.

One particular album that specifically aims at sleep is Max Richter's: From Sleep

I went and bought the CD which contains an hour of the 8hr session he did non-stop with actual people falling asleep or sleeping as an audience. The entire 8hr performance is available on iTunes only (sad) for $35 but the CD is a great preview. This could be purely coincidental but  I've slept 2 nights with this album playing and both mornings I felt refreshed.. again I'll need to try this more times but something might be right on this album that's causing that.

A preview:

article: http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2015/sep/27/sleep-the-the-lullaby-for-our-frenetic-world

trailer:

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #95 of 96
Radiohead is perfect for anything. Hardcore work out? The bends album or Pablo Honey. Want to feel an array of emotions listen to Kid A or OK Computer. Want to fall asleep, listen to In Rainbows. 

So yeah, Radiohead.

Oct 3, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #96 of 96

Let me go ahead and gravedig this thread because really I've been into music being played while sleeping or before sleeping as of late.

One particular album that specifically aims at sleep is Max Richter's: From Sleep

I went and bought the CD which contains an hour of the 8hr session he did non-stop with actual people falling asleep or sleeping as an audience. The entire 8hr performance is available on iTunes only (sad) for $35 but the CD is a great preview. This could be purely coincidental but  I've slept 2 nights with this album playing and both mornings I felt refreshed.. again I'll need to try this more times but something might be right on this album that's causing that.

A preview:

article: http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2015/sep/27/sleep-the-the-lullaby-for-our-frenetic-world

trailer:

Nice thread revival. I've been a fan of Sleep ever since the teaser came out. I can't recommend the original album highly enough, but couldn't see myself being able to be content with just the one-hour version. For those concerned they can fall asleep to music, but not sleep through it, I can report that Sleep works perfectly for sleeping through, at least for me. It was made to be slept through, and it works.

I've been very interested in very long albums and albums meant for falling asleep and sleeping through this year. To add two of my own contributions to this thread, here are two works that I recommend trying out.

Sonmi451 - Ruis
https://slaapwel.bandcamp.com/album/ruis

This gorgeous album was made specifically for falling asleep. It is an ambient work that will most likely appeal to fans of Brian Eno's Ambient series. The beautiful limited edition CD is unfortunately sold out, but the album can still be purchased in lossless digital. I've never used this album for falling asleep yet, because the music is just so gorgeous, so I can't guarantee the results based on experience, but the album can be streamed on Bandcamp for free so feel free to try it out for yourself. The record is only 32 minutes long, though, so if you are having a really tough time falling asleep the album might not be long enough for you.

t e l e p a t h テレパシー能力者 - 信仰
https://telepathtelepath.bandcamp.com/album/--30

I'm not sure if this album was intended for falling asleep to, but it certainly has worked for me in the past. The album is a name-your-price release, so you can even download it for completely free if you enter 0 as the price you wish to pay. The music also lasts for 88 minutes straight without interruptions, which those having a tough time falling asleep will surely appreciate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back