Originally posted by west
Subject says it all (I think)

Sorry, it didn't to me
confused.gif

In a good or bad meaning?

Jan 18, 2002 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 96
Quote:

Originally posted by west
in a good meaning, something that is probably relaxing and will put me to sleep (please don't say enya)

Okay, okay, it's well explained now. So here are some names that come to mind at the moment: MAIRE BRENNAM, LOREENA McKENNITT, IONA, VANGELIS, BARTZ, DEUTER, GANDALF, RAY LYNCH...

Jan 18, 2002 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 96
Jean-Michel Jarre - "Waiting for Cousteau" (only the one long track)

Philip Glass Ensemble - "Koyaanisqatsi"/"End Credits", "Islands"/"Facades"

Skinny Puppy - Too Dark Park (I kid you not -- have fallen asleep to this several times).

Chris Meloche - Recurring Dreams of the Urban Myth (man, I love "monochromatic" ambient)

Jan 18, 2002 at 5:22 AM Post #7 of 96
The Orb - Orbus Terraum - very natural sounding ambient music, relaxing and soothing, except for some trippy stuff at the end.

Loreena McKennit - The Visit - Celtic music by my favorite female singer, she has an absolutely pristine, ethereal voice which just floats there.

Midnight Syndicate - Dark sounding ambient. Good music to relax to.

Jan 18, 2002 at 6:39 AM Post #9 of 96
Quote:

Skinny Puppy - Too Dark Park (I kid you not -- have fallen asleep to this several times).

And had terrible nightmares, I'm sure
eek.gif

Hands down the king of slumbermusic is Robert Rich. He has produced a DVD that is all audio, eight hours long, and is specifically designed to be listened to while sleeping. Here's a link for more info.

I also recommend his CD Trances/Drones.

Another great sleep music artist is Silent Watcher of Dark Matter. Their stuff can be found on MP3.com. The CD's are dirt cheap, and are some of the best dark ambient available.

There is another CD by an outfit called Sleep Research Facility called Nostromo. It's their homage to the first ten minutes of the movie Alien, when the camera is moving around the droning ship while the crew is in hypersleep. I have heard great things about it. Read more here.

I have worked a night shift for nearly two years now, and a dark quiet room with the right music is essential to proper rest. I've got tons more recommendations if anyone is interested.

cajunchrist

Jan 18, 2002 at 7:06 AM Post #10 of 96
Kate Bush usually works. Stan Getz too. a lot of other stuff, I just have to listen through the whole album
rolleyes.gif

Jan 18, 2002 at 9:06 AM Post #11 of 96
Quote:

Originally posted by cajunchrist
Hands down the king of slumbermusic is Robert Rich. He has produced a DVD that is all audio, eight hours long, and is specifically designed to be listened to while sleeping. Here's a link for more info.

I also recommend his CD Trances/Drones.

Nice work cajunchrist! I was just about to refer West onto Robert Rich, especially after reading about his "Sleep Concerts". Thanks for this info on Nostromo...sounds pretty cool.

My personal faves:

Vladislav Delay: Any of his releases
Sturm: "Sturmgesten"
Divination: "Ambient Dub Volume II: Dead Slow"
Rich/Lustmord: "Stalker"
Techno Animal: "Re-Entry"

Jan 18, 2002 at 1:52 PM Post #12 of 96
Quote:

Originally posted by cajunchrist
And had terrible nightmares, I'm sure
eek.gif

Naw, noise makes me smile. Quote:

I've got tons more recommendations if anyone is interested.

I love dark ambient (I call it "damn-bient"; others call it "Isolationism", yes?). Would love to hear some of your favorite artists and a good first album to get by them.

Jan 18, 2002 at 2:15 PM Post #13 of 96
Quote:

Naw, noise makes me smile.

I fell asleep listening to Merzbow, and I woke up disoriented and depressed. I think difficult sounds like that have a deleterious effect on the subconcious mind when you have no concious frame of reference to hold on. You can do some serious damage to your brain if you're not careful. [/voiceofexperience]

I had the massively good fortune to win an EBay auction from a guy in Belgium that included 10 experimental artist CD's, all compilations, so I got a very quick and thourough intro to the best the world has to offer of ambient, experimental, noise, etc. Please note that I don't clearly delineate between styles. What you might call noise, I might call ambient, or experimental, and so on.

Vidna Obmana's Trilogy 3 CD set is a good one to get. Lush, swelling tape loops are the order of the day here. Anything by Zoviet France, I had the very rare opportunity to hear them perform in San Francisco last year. Very hard to catagorize, but worth listening to. I think their compilation Collusion is a perfect intro to their sound.

A former member of Zoviet France, Mark Spybey, has his own outfit called Dead Voices on Air. Seeing their live show before Legendary Pink Dots is what got me in to ambient music. He did an album with James Plotkin called A Peripheral Blur that is a must have. His two CD set Piss Frond is a good one to have as well.

Look at the Projekt label website, as they have lots of artists in this genre.

cajunchrist

Jan 18, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #14 of 96
I have fallen asleep to some pretty hard, noisy stuff. When I'm tired, I'm tired.

In any case, I think Peter Gabriel's soundtrack to "The Last Temptation of Christ," titled "Passion," is an excellent choice to fall asleep to. There's lots of good classical for this too.

Jan 18, 2002 at 4:33 PM Post #15 of 96
don't know about you, but for some reason i can't sleep while listening to 'soothing' stuff. maybe too much melody or whatever. find myself concentrating too much to the music and when the cd ends ... hey i'm still wide awake.

loud fast music works best for me. tend to just focus on the beat instead of the details, and i'm out before I know it.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back