Music that Is "Trippy"
Sep 27, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #16 of 38
Boards of Canada
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot it in People

One time I had a bad cough, and took some cough syrup in the evening. Shortly after I put on my Grado's, and slowly "drifted" off to sleep listening to the Broken Social Scene album. It was quite the, uh, listening experience.

Sep 27, 2006 at 11:35 AM Post #17 of 38
Thanks for all the replies - I will check out some of these suggestions. Some I have such as Portisehead and Massive Attack which I guess could be described as "dark trippy" - I don't think they would fit in on a playlist with the bands I mentioned though. And yes should add Broken Social Scene to the list - a great band to see live I might add (wish they would play here more often seeing that they are from here - Toronto)

Although a huge Miles Davis fan my interest in his music stopped with his release "In A Silent Way" (which is probably one of my favs of the 15 plus MD CDs i have). Never could get into Bitches Brew so stopped there. Perhaps I should revisit his later electric stuff.

Always keen to check out new bands I never heard of so will look into some of these.

Cheers

Sep 27, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by DPM
Although a huge Miles Davis fan my interest in his music stopped with his release "In A Silent Way" (which is probably one of my favs of the 15 plus MD CDs i have) . . . Perhaps I should revisit his later electric stuff.

I am also a big Miles fan. I love Doo-Bop (I think Miles Davis and I may be the only ones.)
wink.gif

Sep 27, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hevimees
I recommend Hidria Spacefolk. You can download their first album for free from their website http://www.hidriaspacefolk.st/

Wow this is great stuff. Kind of a mash of Do Make Say Think and a jam band like Phish. Do their other CDs sound like their EP that you can download from the site? Where can you get their CDs from? Hoping they are on emusic.com but no such luck. Probably an expensive import for us in North America?

DPM

Sep 27, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by DPM
I'm in the process of ripping my CD collection onto a hard drive and organizing it by different genres - I have many CDs that I would consider as being "trippy" and looking for more recommendations (looking for contemporary artists/bands only). These are the artists/bands that I have already:

Beta Band
Charlatans
Stone Roses
Primal Scream
Flamming Lips (early)
Dandy Warhols
Brian Jonestown Massacare
Happy Mondays
Soup Dragons
Chemical Brothers (some)
Spiritualized

Most of the stuff I listen to is "trippy" but it crosses genres and time periods. Of more contemporary rock music, you should probably include one of the bands from the Elephant 6 collective (Olivia Tremor Control, Elf Power, Neutral Milk Hotel), Green Pajamas, Acid Mothers Temple, Bardo Pond, Stereolab, Comets on Fire, Six Organs of Admittance. From Jazz, somebody alreqady mentioned Sun Ra, who is the grandaddy of all things trippy. I also agree with Miles Davis circa 1970-74 as trippy jazz-rock. Although it was 70's music, Funkadelic were plenty trippy. Same for Beefheart (already mentioned).

Maybe I'll add some more choices later......

Sep 28, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #22 of 38
Anything by Porcupine Tree
Anything by No-Man
Anything by The Mars Volta
Talk Talk : The Spirit of Eden

Sep 28, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #23 of 38
For all your trippy needs:

The Telescopes - "The Telescopes" (+ "As Approved By the Committee" comp.)
The Rain Parade - "Emergency 3rd Rail Power Trip/Explosions In The Glass Palace"
Dream Syndicate - "The Days of Wine & Roses"
Sounds Like Sunset - "Saturdays"

(+ possibly Three O'Clock? Haven't actually heard them...)

Also try the Byrds albums "Fifth dimension" & "The notorious Byrd brothers".

Sep 28, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #25 of 38
=Bands=
Gotan Project; Argentinian tango remixed with contemporary lounge
Thievery Corporation; Trippy lounge with alot of influence from bossanova or reggae
Groove Armada; Brit style triphop and dance music
Massive Attack; if ur reading this thread, u probably know massive attack
DJ Krush; this guy makes a wide variety of music including hardcore hiphop, house, lounge and the more trippy kind with heavy Japanese influence. Try downloading "Big city lover"

=Compilation albums=
Hotel Costes series CD 1~9; A superb mix of indian, arabian, brazilian and european sound
Giorgio Armani Caffe Vol 1~3; similar to Hotel Costes but more Italian taste
[re: jazz]; an impressive mix of jazz and house music

Sep 28, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeresist
For all your trippy needs:

The Telescopes - "The Telescopes" (+ "As Approved By the Committee" comp.)
The Rain Parade - "Emergency 3rd Rail Power Trip/Explosions In The Glass Palace"
Dream Syndicate - "The Days of Wine & Roses"
Sounds Like Sunset - "Saturdays"

(+ possibly Three O'Clock? Haven't actually heard them...)

Also try the Byrds albums "Fifth dimension" & "The notorious Byrd brothers".

I definitely agree with Rain Parade, Dream Syndicate, and the Byrds, but the OP had asked for "contemporary".....

Here are some more bands:
Abunai!
Boredoms
Flying Saucer Attack
Ghost
GYBE
Jackie-O Mother screwer
Jessamine
Luna
Macha
No Neck Blues Band
Pelt
Sunroof!
Vibracathedral Orchestra

Sep 28, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DCadman
Stereolab - Dots and Loops

excellent recommendation!

Sep 28, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #28 of 38
Not technically contemporary, but finally released in 04, SMiLE by Brian Wilson is a cool romp.

I'll second any recommendations for WEEN - pick an album. Any album.

Emperor Tomato Ketchup by Stereolab is pretty trippy too. Weird without being as heavily electronic as Dots and Loops.

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by blinx
portishead - dummy
portishead - portishead
massive attack - mezzanine
tricky - maxiqaune (or however its spelled)
sneaker pimps - becoming X

I couldn't disagree more with your list. Trip hop doesn't fit my bill for "trippy" only when compared in relation to general hip hop. You listed some great albums though.

The Orb - Live 93

Pink Floyd - everthing from Final Cut and back everything after is not Pink Floyd and should be thrown in the rubish.

Orbital - Insides

György Ligeti - work on the soundtrack for 2001 Spacy Odyssey

Aphex Twin

David Bowie - Heroes and Low

Short list obviously I haven't done enough drugs.
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back