Music that Is "Trippy"
Sep 26, 2006 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

DPM

New Head-Fier
I'm in the process of ripping my CD collection onto a hard drive and organizing it by different genres - I have many CDs that I would consider as being "trippy" and looking for more recommendations (looking for contemporary artists/bands only). These are the artists/bands that I have already:

Beta Band
Charlatans
Stone Roses
Primal Scream
Flamming Lips (early)
Dandy Warhols
Brian Jonestown Massacare
Happy Mondays
Soup Dragons
Chemical Brothers (some)
Spiritualized

Sep 26, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 38
Pink Floyd is an obvious one, especially their first two, Suacerful of Secrets and Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

If you want to try some heavier trippy The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute is a good one.

And just for the sake of variety, I would try some electric out jazz, which can be very trippy. Try Miles Davis - Dark Magus.

edit: whoops, missed the contemporary part. old music iis sitll alive to me!

Sep 26, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 38
a few worth checking out:

The Soft Boys - Underwater Moonlight
Shpongle - Tales of the Inexpressible
Funkadelic - Funkadelic
Ween - The Pod
Mouse on Mars - Instrumentals
Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die
Fila Brazillia - Power Clown
Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right to Children

Sep 26, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by DPM
I'm in the process of ripping my CD collection onto a hard drive and organizing it by different genres

The issue of genres has been ongoing. For example, my "Opera" genre includes "Figaro". The Overture for Figaro belongs as much in the "Classic" section as in the "Opera" genre.

My solution - Playlists. Place everything in their genre and make a "Trippy Playlist".

De-Phazz has a Trippy-Latin-Groove and Kitaro can take you on a long and uncomplicated journey.

Keep On Truckin'
cool.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 38
I don't know if we have the same understanding of trippy, but Jefferson Airplane comes first to mind for me, and lately I've been listening to The Blue Things.

Sep 26, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by zowie
I don't know if we have the same understanding of trippy, but Jefferson Airplane comes first to mind for me, and lately I've been listening to The Blue Things.

Big Fatty Music.
blink.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #8 of 38
From your list it looks like you'd like that Stereo MC's song, "Connected." it was all over the place in the early 90's and has that acid trippy vibe to it. Remixes of the Sneaker Pimps' "Six Underground" also qualify. Electronic's "Twisted Tenderness" to me is like the last gasp of the Manchester acid sound before it went on the skids.

Sep 26, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 38
Captain Beefheart
Or listen to the untrippy Pavement, but read their lyrics while doing so...

"Heart-breaking
Earth-quaking
Kiwis they are home baking
Minds wide open truly"

EDIT: I also missed the contemporary part. Sorry.

Sep 26, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #12 of 38
Tom Vek - We Have Sound is something I would consider kinda trippy, and is currently my favorite album.

If you want balls out crazyness Id go with Daedelus - Denies The Day's Demise.

Sep 26, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Sneaker Pimps' "Six Underground"

Ha! I'd forgotten about them... that song was sweet!

I'll nominate Lords of Acid: Voodoo-U

Users who are viewing this thread

Back