jazz : try one of these artits:
yellow jackets
return to forever (jazz-rock)
michael brecker
rock: on the soft side..you should try
-joush rouse
-ryan adams

Dec 10, 2007 at 10:01 AM Post #18 of 32
Going along the Belle and Sebastian line try Jens Lekman (Night Falls Over Kortedala is good), The Clientele (God Save the Clientele is good but then so is Strange Geometry) and the band most like B&S - Camera Obscura (Let's Get Out of This Country where they finally caught up to B&S). All do that twee 60s influenced pop, and all do it very well (well enough to be Pitchfork favorites, which may be a bit of a concern).

Which Belle and Sebastian albums do you have anyway? I really liked the last one The Life Pursuit (which eats the previous Dear Catastrophe Waitress), but purists think they get forever poppier without redeeming indie credibility. The big singles and b-sides collection Push Barman to Open Old Wounds is indispensable.

Dec 14, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #21 of 32
Dec 14, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #23 of 32
Bridging from Rock to Jazz?

Dave Weckl Band
Mike Stern
Tribal Tech/Scott Henderson/Gary Willis
The Rippingtons
Bela Fleck
Pat Metheny Group
Yellowjackets

Dec 14, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #24 of 32
waa so many great suggestions, im going to need to make a list and go to the record store and try some of these out! (im also going to need to hold-up a bank on the way there in order to afford all these)

Dec 14, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #25 of 32
Lately I've been kind of stuck on listening to Robert Wyatt's 1974 classic Rock Bottom. Well, I think it's kind of a classic, and AMG seems to think it's his best work too, beginning the review by saying that it "has been deservedly acclaimed as one of the finest art rock albums". It's a beautiful album, only six songs spread out over a little under forty minutes, but it still seems to take nearly a month of days to absorb. Complex and highly emotional, yet full of breathing space. Almost perfect for this time of year, which I guess is why I've been playing it so much. Great Christmas album because it seems to fit in well with the season and is somewhat reflective of the Christmas spirit, at least in my mind, and it's kind of a jazzy, highly progressive album too. Not many albums you could point to like that. It was worked out meticulously while Robert Wyatt lay in the hospital after his paralyzing fall - you would think he'd be full of self-pity at the time, but it's more of a love album. Seeing the need to change his career goals and about to get married, it glows with optimism and maybe even joy. At other times it is both sad and funny ... and always quite strange, too.

Dec 14, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lately I've been kind of stuck on listening to Robert Wyatt's 1974 classic Rock Bottom. Well, I think it's kind of a classic, and AMG seems to think it's his best work too, beginning the review by saying that it "has been deservedly acclaimed as one of the finest art rock albums". It's a beautiful album, only six songs spread out over a little under forty minutes, but it still seems to take nearly a month of days to absorb. Complex and highly emotional, yet full of breathing space. Almost perfect for this time of year, which I guess is why I've been playing it so much. Great Christmas album because it seems to fit in well with the season and is somewhat reflective of the Christmas spirit, at least in my mind, and it's kind of a jazzy, highly progressive album too. Not many albums you could point to like that. It was worked out meticulously while Robert Wyatt lay in the hospital after his paralyzing fall - you would think he'd be full of self-pity at the time, but it's more of a love album. Seeing the need to change his career goals and about to get married, it glows with optimism and maybe even joy. At other times it is both sad and funny ... and always quite strange, too.

that my friend, is the epitome of a "good post"
smily_headphones1.gif
im definitely going to check that one out ASAP, if i like it maybe it might even make a good christmas gift for my father!

Dec 14, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by el_matt0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that my friend, is the epitome of a "good post"
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks. Lots more glowing reviews at amazon for it. Probably not one you will love immediately, but it can be very intoxicating once it starts to get to you. I tend to think of it in the same way as Van Morrison's Astral Weeks, though Rock Bottom seems more spiritual, and I think it is more universally loved. Many people just have never come to appreciate the more spontaneous beauty of Astral Weeks.

Amazon.com: Rock Bottom: Music: Robert Wyatt

Dec 14, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #29 of 32
Dec 14, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #30 of 32
Parallel Realities Live: DeJohnette, Holland, Hancock & Metheny is a smoking hot fusion effort. Great SQ as well.
386008_CD_L_F.jpg

Live: A Fortnight in France by Patricia Barber
Her band is TIGHT and she can pound the hell out of the 88's!!!
pb-fortnight.jpg

Point of Departure by Andrew Hill
post-21-1191831260.jpg

Havana Cafe by Paquito D'Rivera. AMAZING RECORDING!
Recorded by Chesky, Fareed Haque sitting in, nuff said
51ACRPGND7L._AA240_.jpg

Buena Vista Social Club
Another excellent recording...aa must have IMO
Buena%20Vista%20Social%20Club.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back