Music Server Solution?
Jun 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

nckslvrmn

New Head-Fier
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone knows an solution to the question I'm about to raise. I am looking for a music server. I'd like the music server to be a server with a hard drive to store all of the music. I'd also like it to have a digital out because I'm using an external DAC. But here's the hard part. I'd like to be able to control this music server from an iPad or iPhone. I'd like to remove the computer from the equation. Just the server, the DAC, and the controller. Does anyone know of a good solution or server they could recommend?

Thanks in advance

Jun 8, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 12
1. Build or buy a small, cheap computer. If you want to use coax/optical to connect to a DAC, make sure your motherboard/sound card has a coax/optical output.
2. Install some form of Linux with MPD.
3. Get an MPD client for your iPhone/iPod.

You can Google the details for each step, but that's pretty much it in a nutshell. There are other options of course, but this would probably be the least expensive way to do it.

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 12
C'mon Dave - exactly how many Head-Fiers would you say have $2500 to spend on the Sonore before they even get to spending money on the DAC/amp/phones ???   
rolleyes.gif

OP (Nick Silverman ?), eugenius has hit the nail on the head. Don't discount the humble Sqeezebox Touch - if John Darko's mail is correct, they are getting their act together at Logitech for the next iteration of the Touch - or the streamers from NAD/Marantz/CA and others. 

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
C'mon Dave - exactly how many Head-Fiers would you say have $2500 to spend on the Sonore before they even get to spending money on the DAC/amp/phones ???   
rolleyes.gif

OP (Nick Silverman ?), eugenius has hit the nail on the head. Don't discount the humble Sqeezebox Touch - if John Darko's mail is correct, they are getting their act together at Logitech for the next iteration of the Touch - or the streamers from NAD/Marantz/CA and others. 

You don't have to spend $2500, no. But if you want a one box solution with an internal drive that supports iPad control, the Sonore is a good choice. The Auraliti player supports pretty much the exact same functionality for less than half the price, but you must roll your own storage.

Jun 14, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #9 of 12
Use a small PC with Foobar installed and HTTP control enabled.  This enables you to remote control Foobar over the network via a simple webpage. 
The cost of the PC then depends on what you want it to do, if you want to run DAC with digital input make sure the motherboard you chose have Toslink or Coaxial output.
The advantage you can use pretty much any DAC you want, and it will probably cost you the same as other solutions.

Aug 12, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #12 of 12
you could use the Auraliti PK100 and add the hard drive you may already be using.  Or the SOtM sMS-1000 which is all in one (including CD drive).  Both use iphone, ipad, droid, webbrower for control.  haven't heard either, but I'd like to.  Thinking about the squeezebox touch too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back