Music Fidelity X cans
Aug 4, 2002 at 1:30 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by insanefred
The latest I've heard on the Musical Fidelity side of things is that both the X-Cans V2 and the X-LPS have been discontinued, although there was to be a final run of X-LPS. I would imagine that dealers will have a supply of units left for a little while. I would imagine that Musical Fidelity would be bringing in something to replace these units? I don't know though.
Andrew

I've just checked the Musical Fidelity website. The X-Cans V2 is still listed in the current products. I'm wondering where you heard this?

confused.gif

Aug 4, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by insanefred
I stand corrected!
tongue.gif

It's good to hear that these great little amps are still being made, they got me into this whole headphone stuff. They must be one of the biggest selling headphone amps around by now?
Andrew

OOPS!! Never mind....

biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2002 at 11:11 AM Post #18 of 22
The X-Cans is fine with the SR 80 – and even better with the HD 580/600.

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Sep 13, 2002 at 11:13 AM Post #19 of 22
Anyone tell me which tube in X-Cans is the most crucial to the sound? Just got a sleave of Telefunken steel pins in. I will use two pair for the main rig & that leaves me a single tube to play with. Lately I have been using early 60s Bugle Boys in my X-Cans but thought it would be fun to see how this telefunken sounds so if I can find out if the tube in front or the one in the rear nearest the cable inputs is the most crucial to the sound I can fire away!

I also think my X-Cans may be chewing up tubes somewhat. I notice I can stick in a set that the bottles are perfectly clear and in a few months the darn bottoms look black! This does not happen inmy other tube gear so any input appreciated.

One last question. The RCA inputs are going out maybe? If you bump an interconnect the thing either HUMS like you would not believe or the left channel stops playing. I love this little thing and would like to keep it playing for a while. Any suggestions?

THANKS

Sep 13, 2002 at 1:30 PM Post #20 of 22
I believe that each tube is dedicated to one channel, so replacing one without the other to another brand might lead to some interesting sonic effects.

The X-Can is designed for the 6922, I believe. If you're using a 6DJ8 (which a similar tube), you could be overdriving it.

You'll need to check the connection on the RCA jack. Try switching the cables to the opposite channels and see if the problem switches sides (if it does, the problem is not in the amp). Also make sure the ground wire is properly connected at the top rear. The description sounds like the left RCA jack is making a bad connection, so if you can't find something outside the amp, you may want to check connections to the jack in the amp, and if necessary replace the RCA jacks.

Sep 13, 2002 at 4:18 PM Post #21 of 22
I did the cable swap thing a looong time ago. i opened it up and all looks well tehre but seems all four RCA plugs are in one fixture.

I thought Adio Advisor told me one of those tubes was cathode follower? So that would mean it is NOT a single tube for each channel. I wrote Musical Fidelity about this and they totally ignored the email.

Dan

Sep 14, 2002 at 4:16 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Beilin
X-Cans+grado=unhappy, or so I've read.

Since you're in the UK, go for the Rega Ear which is supposed to be a great deal and I tend to like Rega products.

I have the Grado 225's, and I am quite pleased with the sound that my V2 is producing.

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

That would be 4 cans on a 5 can scale

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back