Music City Meet, 6th Edition -- Nashville, TN -- Fall 2016 (October 29th, 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2016 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 165

rtaylor76

100+ Head-Fier
Welcome to the Fourth Edition of the Music City Meet in Fall 2016!!

This is the Official Thread for the fourth and latest incarnation of Music City Meet™ in (or around) Nashville, TN-- welcome!!

Date:October 29th, 2016
Venue: Lane Motor Museum
Venue Address: 702 Murfreesboro Pike, Nashville, TN 37210
Setup: 10am
Event Time: 11am - 4pm
Cleanup: 4pm - 5pm

To get an idea of what to expect, please feel free to check out the threads from our previous meets:

Music City Meet Official Thread - Spring 2014
Music City Meet Pictures & Impressions Thread - Spring 2014
Music City Meet - Fall 2014
Music City Meet Pictures & Impressions Thread - Fall 2014
Music City Meet - Spring 2015
Music City Meet - Spring 2015 - Pictures & Impressions Thread

Frequently/Never Asked Questions:

Who Is Welcome?
Anybody!

Where do I go?
Enter the main entrance of the Lane Motor Museum in the front and sign in at the front registration desk. Let them know you are here for the headphone meet, and they will get you signed in. The museum needs a head count. There is lots of parking behind the museum. You can temporarily park (quickly) in the front if you have large gear to load/unload.

How Much Does It Cost?
Not a thing. Just show up, be friendly, and bring gear if you have some to share! However, these meets do cost and this event will also include a free pass into the Lane Motor Museum (yes, you can stroll through the museum and enjoy the odd and vintage cars to give your ears a break). Please consider making a donation to our official PayPal account (all monies will be spent on venue rental, refreshments, and stuff for the group meets) - nashvilleheadfi@gmail.com. You can also use the link below to donate.

DONATE

The proceeds are going for the rental space, the Lane Motor Museum, which is a non-profit museum. Attending the meet also includes an entry into the Lane Motor Museum for the day (a $10 value!).

What Can I Bring?
Besides a love of good music well reproduced and a friendly demeanor, you don't need to bring anything at all! If you have some personal audio gear that others might like to hear, though, we would love it if you'd bring yours down (as that's one of the key elements to making the meet great for everyone)! Let me know what you decide to bring by posting below. If something changes, no worries-- just post in the thread and I'll try to keep the gear lists updated so people have some idea what's going to be present to check out.

I Don't Have Any Cool Headphone Gear, Can I Bring/Do Something Else to Help Out?
Sure! We can always use extension cables and power strips, and the more the better-- we'll have almost twice as many power outlets (16!) as we did for the first two meets, but as always, we really can't have enough of both! We ended up lining tables along the walls last time and had few enough attendees for it to work with the strips and extensions we had, but if we have a significant increase in attendees this time, we'll definitely need more. Basically, if you have 'em, bring 'em!! :) Also, if there are any shutterbugs among the group (like Eric was previously) who are kind enough to bring along cameras and share their pictures with everyone, that would be greatly appreciated!! Because if there's anything that's almost as great as awesome headphones, it's awesome headphone pictures-- a fact which has been scientifically proven for decades. Don't look it up, just trust me here.

What About the Eats??
I will try to provide some very light refreshments, if anyone else would like to help out with this, please let me know. This is a shorter meet, but generally, it seems wise to grab a bite to eat before coming to the meet, and then give yourself a break at some point to duck out and grab something through the meet itself if you need. Just make sure you thoroughly scrub those mitts if you get sticky ribs for lunch :wink:.

Are There Any Additional Festivities?
Usually there is a Friday night dinner, especially for the out of towners. Watch this thread for plans. Friday dinners are a great place to meet and talk with other Head-Fi'ers and have a great time with some great discussions.

Will There Be Any Vendors There?
Quite probably! I'm going to reach out to a few, including several that wanted to attend the earlier meets but weren't able to for various reasons. We've had some pretty great companies show up in the past (see the previous Impressions threads), so I'd guess we stand a great chance of seeing some more this time too. As I get vendors on board, I'll post the updates here, so stay tuned!!

What Awesome Gear Will Be Present For Me to Check Out?
That depends on what awesome gear you bring! I'll keep a running tally of who's bringing what in the second post, so if you are just dying to hear the new KochleaKrusher 4000, you can see if someone plans on bringing one down to share. I can say that each time we have had some pretty stellar gear available (see the links from the Impressions threads above), and I think everybody got to hear a lot of stuff that was new and interesting to them. Just don't bring your next mortgage payment with you when you come-- you might be draining local ATMs and buying stuff before you know what happened. Which would be Sad Mac. Except for the person selling the stuff, I 'spose.

Do I Need to Let You Guys Know I'm Coming?
Technically, no-- you can just show up! However, I'd like to have an idea of how many people are coming, and what gear they're bringing, so that I can make sure I keep the logistics of this sucker under control. Should we have too many people show up and not enough chairs, for example, we might have packs of stiff-legged audiophiles roaming the hapless streets of Cool Springs... which would definitely be bad news bears.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Thoughts:

Gear to Sell: If you have some gear you'd like to sell and plan on bringing, let me know and I'll make a note that it's for sale in the gear listings. There will be a "For Sale" table. Be sure to put a post-it note with your name and/or screenname on your items so interested parties know who to pay!

IEM Section: I'm thinking it would be interesting to have a separate table or area for IEMs and portable equipment in general. After speaking with Zach at Aurisonics before an earlier meet, I picked up a bunch of alcohol wipes that can be used to generally clean/sterilize IEM tips. There weren't a lot of people who tried IEMs other than the Aurisonics stuff that was there (which were excellent, btw), but I'll have the wipes here again. Pro Tip: if you plan on listening to a particular set of IEMs somebody mentions bringing, it would be wise to order a set of tips for that IEM in your size prior to the meet, so you can listen to it precisely as you'd hear it with your own two ear-holes-- and you get the bonus of avoiding sharing ear-related heebie jeebies with somebody!! Win-Win FTW!!

Vendors to Invite: I'm already planning on reaching out to the guys who were kind enough to attend our previous meets and a few others who haven't yet stopped by. Who would you like to see here? If you have any contacts or compromising photographs that could compel a manufacturer with great gear to attend, please let me know!

Your Thoughts/Ideas: After attending a grand total of six headphone meets in my life (including the ones I set up), I'm willing to concede that there are probably a significant number of great ideas out there I haven't stumbled across yet. Got a great idea? Holla at me!! I'm sure we won't be able to do every awesome thing anyone thinks of, but I'm definitely very interested in making this as great an experience as humanly possible for everyone involved, so don't be bashful-- this is the internet, after all! I'm going to dig through a few other threads for good ideas too, and if I find anything brilliant I'll bring it back for the trial by groupthink.

Standard Demo Tracks: Not required, but feel free to get The Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc from Chesky Records. You used to be able to get 20% off by using the code UHDD20 as a Head-Fi member, but I don't know if that code still works. You aren't required to get this, by any means-- it's just an attempt to make your comparative experience more valuable by providing a common ground for many of us to use when evaluating different gear. Also, you're a dork if you don't get it. (Just kidding. Dorkiness seems to come for free with each download on this one...)

Signature Line Advertising: Since few people seem to come to the meet threads, it would be great if those who know about the meet could get the word out to others who might be interested in attending. Besides the normal methods of doing so (posting in boards, sending PMs to members in the area, showing up unannounced at the homes of various members), a few of us did links in our signature lines to let people know about the last one. A few examples might be:

• See You in Nashville at the Music City Meet on October 29th!
  • I'll Be There! Music City Meet - Nashville - October 29th
  • Music City Meet - Nashville - October 29th
  • Do you really love your ears? Prove it! Music City Meet - Nashville - Oct 29th!

Feel free to copy any of these and put 'em in your signature line-- we don't want anybody who would enjoy this to miss it, and you might help somebody find out about it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Closing Thoughts:
I can honestly say I've learned more about my own tastes in gear and how I wanted to set up my system from meets than all the reading I've done on the internet-- and that's a lot of reading on the internet. If you've never been to a meet before, GO TO A MEET!! We'd love to have you at ours, but even if you can't come to this one, getting to any meet would definitely be worth your time. And if you're an old hat at these meets by now, why, where have you been while Nashville has needed a meet all these years?? Why am I stuck doing this??? :wink:

Seriously, these meets succeed or fail based on the quality of the people and the gear that show up. I genuinely look forward to seeing the guys from the last meet and meeting some new people at this one!! SEE YOU IN NASHVILLE!!!!

Sep 26, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 165
Tentative Attendess & Gear:
An parenthetical asterisk, like (*), indicates that the piece is also for sale. Yay!
Also, see the Vendors list below for even more great gear that will be making the trip to NashVegas!!

rtaylor76:

Headphones:
Sennheiser HD650
Denon AH-D2000 (modded)
Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear

Amplifiers
Audio-gd C-2C

Sources
Denon DA-500
FiiO X3 II
TDA 1543x4 DAC

Other
Peachtree X1
UpTone Audio Regen

buke9

Headphones
Ether C
HD 700
HE 400
HE 400S
Koss ESP 950

Amps
Liquid Carbon
Bottlehead Crack
EF2A
E 90

Source
Yggdrasil
QP1R

JoeDoe

Headphones
Mr. Speakers Alpha Prime
Grado PS1000
Grado RS1i
Symphones Magnum V6
Sennheiser HD800S

Amplifiers
Grado RA1
Icon HP8 mkII
Woo WA6SE (modded)

Sources
MHDT Pagoda
Eastern Electric Minimax Plus DAC

pippen99

Headphones:
Audeze LCD-X(Norne Draug v2)
Mr Speakers ETHER(Norne Zoetic)

Amplifiers:
Woo WA5
Cavalli Liquid Gold( if shipped)

Sources:
Auralic Aries Mini
Auralic Vega

MattTCG

Cans:
Ether Flow open
Sennheiser HD800 S
Sennheiser HD650 with mods
Sony Z7 with mods

Amps:
Schiit Jotenheim with DAC
Questyle CMA800 dual mono stack

Sources:
Schiit Gumby
Sony NW-WM1A as transport

Dillan

Headphones
Audeze LCD-4
Audeze LCD-XC Bocote
Grado RS2e
Sennheiser HD700

Amps
Two different unannounced/unreleased amplifiers

Sources
PS Audio Directstream DAC
PS Audio P5 Powerplant

Other
Tons of awesome cables!

jibzilla (tentative)

Headphones
Sennheiser HD800
Stax SR-007 mkII

Amps
Mölnir Audio KGSSHV
ECP Ravenswood

Sources
Metrum Pavane or ECP dac

speedster2333

Headphones
HiFiMan HE-560 (Jerg pads)

Amps
Woo Audio WA2
Schiit Asgard 2

Sources
Schiit Bifrost 4490
Dragonfly Red

Other
Massive Computer

rmoody

Headphones
Shure 1840 (for sale)
Shure SE535
Mr. Speakers Ether C 1.1

Amps
Mjolnir 2 (got some Russian tubes with adapters, cheap but dern they sound good)
Schiit Asgard 2

Sources
Gungnir Delta Sigma (yeah yeah, I'm working on it)
Schiit Bifrost Multibit
iBasso DX90

Kilkil

Headphones
Audio Technica W5000
AKG K550
AKG K501
AKG K70(*)
AKG K7XX

Amplifiers
Dynahi (DIY designed by Kevin Gilmore)

Sources
NAD M51 DAC

bigro

Headphones
PSB M4U1
Grado Prestige SR80i(*)

Amps
Schiit Valhalla 2
Schiit Vali 2
(Some tubes to roll)

DAC
Schiit Bifrost MB

Sources
FIIO X3 II (Coax In to the Bifrost)
Surface Tablet (Running Win 10 /Foobar- USB to wyrd to Bifrost MB)

Other
Schiit SYS To swap Between Amps. (Yeah Yeah, Im a Schiit head.)
Emotiva CMX6 - AC Line Filter
Furman SS6B - for power
Furman M-8X2 - for power
A set of Grado L Cush Ear Pads(*)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vendors & Enthusiast Companies:

Meze Headphones: They will be providing us with a pair of Meze 99 Classics Maple Silver for demo. I will make sure they are available for demo on anyone's setup.

DH Labs: DH Labs make incredible, high end cables with some amazing technology. Various cables will be on hand for testing.

LessLoss: LessLoss is a high end audio accessory manufacturer who is known for cables, but is now making their own DAC's and power conditioning equipment. Product information will be available.

Sep 26, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 165
I will be there!

Headphones:
Audeze LCD-X(Norne Draug v2)
Mr Speakers ETHER(Norne Zoetic)

Amplifiers:
Woo WA5
Cavalli Liquid Gold( if shipped)

Sources:
Auralic Aries Mini
Auralic Vega

Looking forward to seeing everybody. 

P.S. The header on the first post says 2015 not 2016.

Sep 26, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 165
Woohoo!  I'm in, hopefully. 

Cans:

*Ether Flow open

*hd800 S

*hd650 with mods

*Sony z7 with mods

Amps:

*Jotenheim with DAC

*Questyle cma800 dual mono stack

Source:

Gumby

Sony nw-wm1a as transport

Sep 26, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 165
Sadly, Annette and I will miss this meet due to the prior obligations in the Smoky Mtns.  I am really happy to see that Matt will bring his Ether Flow, a can that everybody needs to hear if possible (they will be busy!).

Best to all -
Dick

Sep 26, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 165
Every time they change the date you're going to be in the mountains.
Are you moving there? 
blink.gif

Sep 26, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 165
I'll be there . Might have something new if I can get it in time .

Sep 26, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 165
Sep 26, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #10 of 165
They were both in Canlanta just have to make up my mind.

Sep 26, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #11 of 165
Please also note that the time we have the room is 10am until 5pm. The museum closes at 5pm. So setup can begin when the museum opens at 10pm, event time from 11am until 4pm, and 4pm until 5pm for cleanup.

Looking forward to it! I am sure it will much better than this disaster of a Presdential debate this evening. :blink:

Sep 26, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #12 of 165
  Every time they change the date you're going to be in the mountains.
Are you moving there? 
blink.gif

Well, it's under consideration but the kids live in Nashville so gotta balance the wants with the needs, ya know?

Sep 26, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #13 of 165
Please also note that the time we have the room is 10am until 5pm. The museum closes at 5pm. So setup can begin when the museum opens at 10pm, event time from 11am until 4pm, and 4pm until 5pm for cleanup.

Looking forward to it! I am sure it will much better than this disaster of a Presdential debate this evening. :blink:
I didn't find it as a disaster just a just. Let's keep that out of this please . If we go more than that I will not come. Politics has nothing to do with this if you make so I will not come . I believe that you did and I might not come.

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #14 of 165
Mostly grammar other than that I'm cool.

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #15 of 165
Edited some stuff in the main post. I forgot about the sign in part. See the FAQ's.

Thanks everyone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back