Music City Meet #2 -- Fall 2014 -- Pics & Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #362 of 369
  Oh, there was a group of youngsters that were there. They just showed up fashionably late. All of us oldsters are awake by 5:00 am so we are always early. 

and then get the early bird supper

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #363 of 369
Speaking of youngsters and oldsters, just back from the best $45 concert of my life Jack White (reunited with The Raconteurs for 3 songs) with plenty of White Strips material thrown in, and warm up act Loretta Lynn (together for 2 songs with Jack).  
Loretta is 82 and Jack a bit younger.  Rock, Folk, and Country, very diverse crowd but everyone seemed to have a good time.

My guess is the age range of the last Music City show was 18 to 60+.  
Age doesn't matter love of HP's does.

FYI I learned more about audio from hands on experience and advice in the 6+ hours at the meet, than the previous few years online on Head-Fi.

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #364 of 369
Interesting you say something about Jack White, a few of my friends have a group, the Memphis Dawls, I just learned that they opened for him a few times recently. Worth listening to, I think. Music that most people can appreciate, even if it's not your favorite. Best if you're going through some heartache :)

thememphisdawls.com/music/

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #365 of 369
  Speaking of youngsters and oldsters, just back from the best $45 concert of my life Jack White (reunited with The Raconteurs for 3 songs) with plenty of White Strips material thrown in, and warm up act Loretta Lynn (together for 2 songs with Jack).  
Loretta is 82 and Jack a bit younger.  Rock, Folk, and Country, very diverse crowd but everyone seemed to have a good time.

FYI I learned more about audio from hands on experience and advice in the 6+ hours at the meet, than the previous few years online on Head-Fi.

Yeah, I was bummed to miss that one last night.

I've seen the Raconteurs three times, so decided to pass since I'm not a big fan of Bridgestone.  Hopefully I'll get another shot sometime.

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #366 of 369
  Interesting you say something about Jack White, a few of my friends have a group, the Memphis Dawls, I just learned that they opened for him a few times recently. Worth listening to, I think. Music that most people can appreciate, even if it's not your favorite. Best if you're going through some heartache :)

thememphisdawls.com/music/

I like the fresh talent^^
William Tyler was the 1st opener last night prior to Loretta Lynn, a local Nashville performer nice to see local artists get some exposure.

Yeah, I was bummed to miss that one last night.

I've seen the Raconteurs three times, so decided to pass since I'm not a big fan of Bridgestone.  Hopefully I'll get another shot sometime.

Agree Bridgestone compared with smaller venues like Ryman is not ideal.  
For a big indoor arena I have heard worse, Thompson Boling Arena/Knoxville prior to the renovation, sounded like an empty air hanger.  Unbelievably bad.
"Steady As She Goes" just popped can't get that song off my mind.

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #367 of 369

Agree Bridgestone compared with smaller venues like Ryman is not ideal.  
For a big indoor arena I have heard worse, Thompson Boling Aren/Knoxville prior to the renovation, sounded like an empty air hanger.  Unbelievably bad.
"Steady As She Goes" just popped can't get that song off my mind.

I've seen some good shows at Bridgestone.  Arcade Fire was the latest, and the sound was fine.

Other great venues have simply ruined me and turned me into an overly picky music fan.  Especially for someone that I've already seen multiple times.

But, having seen Clapton and a Led Zeppelin reunion show there means that the arena will always have some good memories for me.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #368 of 369
I've seen some good shows at Bridgestone.  Arcade Fire was the latest, and the sound was fine.

Other great venues have simply ruined me and turned me into an overly picky music fan.  Especially for someone that I've already seen multiple times.

But, having seen Clapton and a Led Zeppelin reunion show there means that the arena will always have some good memories for me.

Wow, brings back some great memories, Clapton and Muddy Waters (ok, I am almost as old as dirt:older_man:) at McKale Center ( U of A Basketball Arena).

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #369 of 369
  Speaking of smack talk, pssshhh SEC.

And yeah...SEC sucks.  So glad we got a REAL championship game this year 
evil_smiley.gif

The fact that the SEC had an incontestably "down" year and ended up with 6 teams ranked in the top 25 (even after Bama went and Kiffin'd their pants in the championship tourney) and went 7-5 in bowl games against... uh... everyone else should, ultimately, prove two points: first, that the SEC is still the standard in college football against which all other conferences merely measure their inferiority; and secondly, that people who don't support the SEC are doo-doo faced sock sniffers. QED.

Wish I could've attended the Jack White show... Really feel like an ignoramus for not being familiar with his stuff. Gotta fix that!!

And on your last statement: man, truer words were never spoken. I would have never heard the SR-009, HE-6, Qualia, or even DT-880, T1, or any number of other headphones I'm very grateful to have experienced if it wasn't for meets. After the the very first meet I attended (Canlanta, great meet), I had an understanding of what I wanted to do that was literally orders of magnitude more clear than I did before going there... I knew that I would absolutely own a set of HE-6; that the LCD-3 and HE-500 were both very good, but not enough to cause me to unequivocally leave the LCD-2 behind; that Aurisonics, a company I hadn't theretofore ever heard of, made IEMs that I just loved; that even some of the most unobtanium headphones in the world weren't anything I necessarily enjoyed; and that man oh man, there were worlds of awesomeness out there I hadn't even begun to tap yet!

I spent the next 18-ish months selling off the gear that I wanted to replace and saving up the money to get the stuff I really wanted, and ended up with a system that was (and is) just so thoroughly wonderful for my tastes and preferences that I consider it a quantitative and qualitative improvement to my quality of life. I would have still been stumbling around in the dark, reading the opinions of strangers without any real reference points to leverage my own opinions against, and almost certainly would have never ended up where I am now. Experience means a lot, and there just aren't many ways to get so much fantastic experience with such a logistically doable investment of time.

I guess I'm saying that I'm a fan of meets.
redface.gif

Every time you post, I get more jealous of you... I have a manly mancrush on the music of LZ and spent innumerable hours of my formative years rocking out to LZ IV, Physical Graffiti, and all the rest of them. (Well, except Coda, which I didn't care as much for growing up). One of the all-time greats, no doubt about it!

The only concert I've seen at Bridgestone was Nine Inch Nails... and considering I jumped and screamed the lyrics to every song they played (except a couple of the Hesitation Marks tracks I hadn't listened to enough to internalize), it wouldn't have much mattered if the sound was coming through a set of Skullcandy Whatevers, I was absolutely going to enjoy the show. Plus, the lighting and stage effects were just spectacular, which is not something I'm particularly used to (as a metal fan-- those guys barely have enough money to buy PBR and each others' records). Don't doubt things could be better in a smaller, more acoustically well-considered venue though.

Wow, brings back some great memories, Clapton and Muddy Waters (ok, I am almost as old as dirt:older_man:) at McKale Center ( U of A Basketball Arena).

"Almost"??
very_evil_smiley.gif

I keed, I keed!!

And yeppers, I'll be making a road trip to Nashville tomorrow, and might be coming back on Monday (have to be back in Cookeville to meet my buddies for the Superbowl, of course, even if I'm only going to be cheering on a wormhole to open on the field and suck both teams into an alternate dimension), so I should have some more valuable intel on potential landing spots for our little soiree.

My sis has been helping me out, and there's a possibility that we might have something really special lined up... Keep your fingers crossed :wink:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back