Music Apps, Tips and Tricks for the LG V30, V35, V40, V50 & V60
Jan 18, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #451 of 1,175
Had my V30 for around a year now and have been using 3rd party apps, but not really the ones mentioned here . What an eyeopener this thread has been. Always felt it was slightly behind my onkyo dpx1 DAP, maybe now I know why.

Few questions; is the 3.5mm jack direct to a pair of active speakers the optimum for SQ? As in that a cable connection still tops streaming?

For streaming Ive been using an mdac with chromecast audio, keen to upgrade on the Chromecast and some say the Yamaha WXAD 10 is an improvement on the CCA for not much outlay.it doesn't have a digital out so would something like this be an improvement? thanks

Jan 18, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #452 of 1,175
Few questions; is the 3.5mm jack direct to a pair of active speakers the optimum for SQ? As in that a cable connection still tops streaming?

I use that a lot with a pair of M-Audio AV40 monitors on my desk, when I don't want to wear headphones. It works great. V30 goes into Aux mode. I suggest you turn its volume up to max (75) and adjust volume on the speakers.

Jan 18, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #453 of 1,175
..is the 3.5mm jack direct to a pair of active speakers the optimum for SQ? As in that a cable connection still tops streaming?

You could try putting the V30 in AUX mode by either first plugging in a right angel 3.5mm adapter or a short 3.5mm extension cable. Than plug into this your 3.5mm speaker cable.
An app called LG HI-FI STATUS will indicate if you are in AUX mode.

*edit beaten to it by above post.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #454 of 1,175
The 'button mapper' app from the playstore allows you to play/pause and prev/next on tracks using the volume buttons. You can set it to single/double or long press. It works on the lockscreen/screen off too.

Downside is it seems to bring back the 5 step volume intervals so fine tuning the volume now has to be done by hand. I've contacted to developer and he said he will try add an option for 75/100 step volume control phones but he thinks its a limitation of android to tweak that.

Try it out for free and if you like it the pro version allow some extra options.

Personally it's fixed one of the major flaws of the v30 as a dap (no hardware music controls).

Now we just need a way to manually change the gain, and a system wide parametric EQ. Then its the best device in the world :)

Jan 18, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #455 of 1,175
The 'button mapper' app from the playstore allows you to play/pause and prev/next on tracks using the volume buttons. You can set it to single/double or long press. It works on the lockscreen/screen off too.

Downside is it seems to bring back the 5 step volume intervals so fine tuning the volume now has to be done by hand. I've contacted to developer and he said he will try add an option for 75/100 step volume control phones but he thinks its a limitation of android to tweak that.

Try it out for free and if you like it the pro version allow some extra options.

Personally it's fixed one of the major flaws of the v30 as a dap (no hardware music controls).

Now we just need a way to manually change the gain, and a system wide parametric EQ. Then its the best device in the world :)

This sounds like exactly what I have been searching for. Non root ?

Jan 18, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #456 of 1,175
Non root. And seems to work consistently. Even does a little vibrate when the command executes. Feels like its just an intregrated OS feature :)

I'm on Noughat but it should work for oreo too id imagine.

Working with YT, UAPP, spotify... Seems to work with all active media apps.

Jan 18, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #457 of 1,175
My settings, playing it safe so i don't f##k my ears by accidentally holding the vol up key^^.

So i took out prev track and left play pause and next track on the volume down key via double and long press.

Capture+_2019-01-19-04-37-08.png Capture+_2019-01-19-04-36-52.png Capture+_2019-01-19-04-37-31.png

Edit: just enabled vibrate for standard volume control too (vol up/down single press). Makes it much easier to adjust volume with the screen off.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #458 of 1,175
Update: it seems that the app has trouble controlling playback when the 'always on display' is not activated.

You can still pause playback and skip songs. But once you pause a track the notification seems to lose priority and you won't be able to regain control to start play again until the always on display or lockscreen is activated.

It's not a huge issue but can be annoying if you don't use the always on display or want to play a song you paused in a pitch dark room or if your phone is faced down. The controls simply won't work until you activate the display in some way.

Jan 20, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #460 of 1,175

So I installed it just now in basic mode to try it out before purchasing.

Are you able get the SCREEN OFF ACTIONS working on your non root phone ?
Yes, sort of.

Screen completey blank and no music playing? No, no control.

Screen completey blank and music playing? Yes you can pause or skip track.

'Always on' display active but screen off? Yes all controls work.

So yes it works 90% but you need to have the always on display enabled from android settings and you need to have lockscreen notifications enabled for your music app (i think).

I did not enable any of those settings shown in your screenshot above. Simply set the buttons up like you want them at the top of the menu under the 'volume up' etc tabs.

As i said above it seems that this works only when the 'always on display' is enabled and active. So you may have to switch that on, and make sure its active by raising the phone.

However if music is playing it seems to work regardless of the screen on or off. But pausing music with your screen off and always on display off must deactivate the music players control. That's the one caveat. I think that the media notification becomes disabled if the screen is off and nothing is playing thus you have no way to control it.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #461 of 1,175

So I installed it just now in basic mode to try it out before purchasing.

Are you able get the SCREEN OFF ACTIONS working on your non root phone ?
This is the 'always on' display btw.

V30-alwayson.jpg

If the icon of music app you want to control is showing up on that display. It should be giving full control.

I'm running android 7.1. So unless they have changed something in Android Oreo it should work.

Make sure you have notifications enabled for the music player (in lockscreen too).
BnXmD2p.jpg

On noughat you can swipe the notification to get settings and then 'more settings' will allow you to enable that app notification on the lockscreen.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #462 of 1,175
Being new to Android and the V30, the various lock modes are a little confusing to me at the moment. This is compounded by the fingerprint sensor being on the back of the phone. During the initial setup of the phone yesterday, I’ve managed to set a pin code for a power on password which is fine, and fingerprint for when the phone is locked which I’d like to change. I found that this was inconvenient when using the phone as a DAP, requiring me to physically lift the phone off my desk each time I want to browse Tidal and choose another song to play.

Is there a more convenient alternative method to unlock the phone, whilst still providing some degree of security? I have screen always-on set to off. I can double-tap the screen to show the lock screen. After that I have to use the fingerprint sensor to unlock the phone.

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #463 of 1,175
Being new to Android and the V30, the various lock modes are a little confusing to me at the moment. This is compounded by the fingerprint sensor being on the back of the phone. During the initial setup of the phone yesterday, I’ve managed to set a pin code for a power on password which is fine, and fingerprint for when the phone is locked which I’d like to change. I found that this was inconvenient when using the phone as a DAP, requiring me to physically lift the phone off my desk each time I want to browse Tidal and choose another song to play.

Is there a more convenient alternative method to unlock the phone, whilst still providing some degree of security? I have screen always-on set to off. I can double-tap the screen to show the lock screen. After that I have to use the fingerprint sensor to unlock the phone.
You can use face recognition I think. You can use a pattern swipe. You could turn off the lockscreen.

Or a better alternative might be:

You could download 'tasker' and I believe I heard there was a profile which automatically keeps the phone unlocked when at home but activates the lockscreen when away from home. (you'll need to do some google searching)

With tasker you can also find a shake to wake profile. There may also be a raise to wake profile.

Raise to wake in combo with the at home no lock profile could offer the ultimate ease of access to the phone as a dap.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #464 of 1,175
Hi

What do you V30 users do for music storage?

I have a 2/3rds full 400 gig micro sim in my DAP.

Is it possible to fit a storage card that big in the V30?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back