MuppetFace's TakeT H2+ Thread
Dec 22, 2011 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

MuppetFace

A Special Snowflake
Alright.

Having thought about it for some time, and having contacted Takei about it, I've decided to take the plunge and order up a TakeT H2+ and its accompanying TR2 box. This thread is meant to document my journey with this rather esoteric giant among world class headphones. I think it's time it got some more attention, especially now that the LCD-3 and SR-009 have made the TOTL sector a bit more crowded.

The first hurdle I need to clear: Thick or thin pads?

http://taket.jp/h2/h2.html

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 76
I have the early version without the batpure addition.
I also have both sets of pads.
I have only tried the thin pads at the moment.
They sound very good through the TR2 box connected to my Class A balanced amp.

I will definitely try the other pads in the next few days and let you know of any difference.
I suspect that the thick pads will attenuate the treble energy.
Get both pads and you may find a puropse for the deifferent pads for different genres of music.
Eventually, after my current builds, I hope to build a valve amp for them to do away with the TR2 box.

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 76
Thanks, wink! I had asked Takei about it, and this is the response I got:

"Thin pads: You feel the physical presence directly, and the penetration of sound goes up. So you can feel like you're on stage."

"Thick pads: You feel the physical presence like you are listening by sitting in a relaxed manner on the sofa in a superlative degree."

Not too sure I get it beyond a difference in soundstage, but the nice thing is Takei offered to send me both pads to try. I'll probably end up getting both sets though, since it's nice to have the ability to change things up whenever.

Dec 23, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 76
Subscribed these look fascinating and ever so slightly Heath Robinson which makes them appeal to me even more!
And for those who are not blessed with the joys of Mr Robinson, wiki is at hand! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Heath_Robinson)

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 76
This looks interesting.  I'm eager to hear your opinion on them.

Dec 23, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 76

Quote:
Bleed money off you.

As far as I know, the price of the H2+ has remained fairly consistent, even with the addition of the Batpure. I'm sure if we were talking about a larger company and not one guy and his few employees, an entirely different headphone would be released at twice the price.

Dec 23, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #10 of 76
You can see the same description on that page from the link you posted, about thin and thick pads I mean:)

I would say, order both, cos, at the end, you will be doing this anyway.

Quote:
Thanks, wink! I had asked Takei about it, and this is the response I got:

"Thin pads: You feel the physical presence directly, and the penetration of sound goes up. So you can feel like you're on stage."

"Thick pads: You feel the physical presence like you are listening by sitting in a relaxed manner on the sofa in a superlative degree."

Not too sure I get it beyond a difference in soundstage, but the nice thing is Takei offered to send me both pads to try. I'll probably end up getting both sets though, since it's nice to have the ability to change things up whenever.

Dec 23, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #11 of 76
Well, the headphones themselves are quite interesting, but I just don't quite see the purpose of the supertweeter. 

I'd be interested to know if it enhances your listening experience, and why you'd feel that way though.

Dec 23, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 76

Quote:

Grado RS1 sound vs Sennheiser HD650/HD600 sound...........

Quote:
I'll probably end up getting both sets though, since it's nice to have the ability to change things up whenever.  

Good choice,,     and sorry about your wallet....

Dec 25, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #13 of 76
I got to try the set Jude had for review this past summer. About all I have to say on that was already said in Jude's TakeT review thread, so I won't rehash here, especially since it's now been far too long ago for me to do a fair job of recalling impressions from a brief listening session.

They're extremely interesting headphones. I look forward to seeing what else TakeT comes up with.

Dec 28, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #15 of 76
I tried a pair in Tokyo, albeit under less than ideal conditions, including a very poor source for one. They were somewhere between orthos and Stax in presentation with a bit more body than 'stats and more air and less punch than orthos. I'm willing to bet that with a good source they'd be fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back